Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:47:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Eketech 3D Editor - Viability Test
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eketech 3D Editor - Viability Test  (Read 591 times)
Eketek
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

A while ago, I had a need for some simple 3d models for a recently completed puzzle game (Orthot II).  Since my budget for the project was $0, I needed a consistent style which I could reasonably accomplish.  Being a programmer and not well-acquainted with some of the more conventional tools, this simply resulted in great frustration and inefficiency. 

Then I decided I to design my own.  It worked well for the task.  Now, when I need some new capability, I add it to my own tool, rather than try to look for it elsewhere.  I now am wondering if I produced something which others might like to have, so...

Ek3d is a low-level modelling tool which is designed for a very bottom-up approach to modelling.  It provides an efficient interface for precisely defining vertices, and another for selecting and re-selecting groups of vertices from which to form triangles (and with further development, reasonably arbitrary geometric objects and surfaces). 

It also features a navigation interface which, in my opinion, is sensible.  The transformation used to convert screen-space mouse coordinates into a 3d point is very predictable and unambiguous - You define a a specific plane for it to pick against, and that plane does not change by moving or re-orienting the camera.  The camera also is somewhat unconventional for 3d editing; It is based on a third-person controller, rather than first person and tied in with the point selector interface (For movement, the camera tracks a "focus" point which is moves along the picking plane, and for perspective adjustment, it orbits that point).

It seems like it should be quite useful for constructing models with a low polygon count (particularly when specific vertices are desired) as well as for building shapes to use in more sophisticated editors.

Presently, it looks a bit like this:

I am thinking about developing it further and possibly selling it.  I would like to know whether or not others are interested in such an editor (If there is little or no interest, it will likely remain an "in-house" tool).  I posted a demo of it on my website:

http://www.eketech.com/demos/ek3d.html

Also, though the main focus of this post is the polygon mesh editor, the demo also includes a voxel-based editor.  The main need there was voxels plus attachable/orientable objects, so I could construct puzzles without weird hacks, rather than dissatisfaction with existing editors.  I would like to know whether it is desirable as well. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic