Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:19:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioConstructive criticism wanted please.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Constructive criticism wanted please.  (Read 736 times)
johanbrodd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

Hi there! I would like to get some constructive feedback on this song.

https://soundcloud.com/johanbrodd/cruising

JoBro Media on SlideDB:

bdusseau1988
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »

It's fun. I like it. It has a happy vibe to it. In my opinion it takes too long to get to the excitement. It takes about 30 seconds to get there. But then again, I do not know the purpose of this song though. The intro could fit perfect in like a theme song for a game like diddy kong racing. What is the purpose of this song?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:30:49 PM by bdusseau1988 » Logged
Jon Sysyn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »

Hi there, I enjoyed your description and atmosphere you created in the piece. It certainly gave me vibes of a happy and fun car "cruise."
Did you EQ this track? If not, I do recommend looking up a few tutorials on youtube or researching what frequency ranges each instrument you are using generally occupies. Try to bring out a clarity and balance in each musical line.
         I felt like the drums could be more focused by EQing out some of the lower frequencies. And I wanted the vibraphone sound to be given a bit more room to sing out (unless you wanted it to be a kind of background melody) by EQing the other voices out of the vibraphone's range. And I'd recommend experimenting with EQing different ways and seeing what the effect it on the instrument alone, then in the context of all the other instruments. That all being said, take it with a grain of salt because I'm not listening to it with the best of monitors presently.

Hope this helps you along your compositional journey, and let me know if that made sense. Have a good one!~

johanbrodd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:33 PM »

Thanks for your constructive criticism so far.

The song is currently not assigned to any project since it is a work in progress. I'm not that good at EQing, but that's something I'm constantly trying to get better at.

JoBro Media on SlideDB:

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »

Its a fun tune, I dig the melody a lot!

I'm not listening on the best of headphones right now so I can't comment too much on the mix (although everything that has been said so far re: EQing, etc sounds spot on from what I CAN hear).

I do have a couple of suggestions about the structure of the piece:

1)  I would get rid of the third "verse" and go right into the stop-time section at 2:28.  THEN I would write an entirely new section that goes somewhere differently texturally and harmonically.  Then go back into the "chorus".  As is, I feel like the track is too repetitive.

2)  If this is intended to be used within a game, I would avoid fading the ending out like you did.  Within a game, the music track will almost always either loop continuously or have a definitive ending.  End credit music might possibly fade into silence, but pop-radio style fade outs don't make much sense inside a game*. 

*Often times, when showcasing music on Soundcloud, etc, VGM composers will use a fade out as a way of gracefully ending a loop, but that is a different thing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic