Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:35:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Texturing Question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Texturing Question  (Read 578 times)
robby12
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »

How exactly do you make a realistic texture? Do you just take a picture? I really wanto learn
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »

I'll just copy a short answer I got from one of our forum's members

@Tait
Before even getting to your post I was just scrolling through the images and thinking to myself that those are some fine textures right there. I don't want to ask stupid questions, but I have no experience with texturing and I was wondering what do you start with when you're preparing textures? Do you assemble the textures out of multiple images?
@spooky
I don't think there's many stupid questions when it comes to this and that's certainly not one of them! We typically build our textures from scratch in Photoshop. First, I tend to get my base colours (a simple diffuse) and combine it with basic normal and specular maps to get the object to look like the right material.. wood, metal, plastic etc. From there I slowly layer up weathering effects, rust, dirt etc using various brushes and masks to bring it to life a bit more. Sometimes i will use an image of the real life counterpart and overlay it with a low opacity to define it better. Though, I'll carefully mask parts out and make it fit in with the rest. But this isn't really done much.

I've made some dedicated material .PSDs of metal, wood etc with a bunch of different dif+norm+spec layers so rather than building a texture from scratch each time, I can open up these and have all the basic groundwork already covered.

Some objects can be very generic so I can get away with applying a re-usable texture simply to get the material read established. Like the containers seen above, they use a generic metal dif+norm+spec that gets applied to quite a lot of objects. Handy because I can change the colour too, inside of Unity.

Here's the whole thread.

But in general I think you should google some tutorials.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic