Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:32:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGunship Souls [bullet-hell]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gunship Souls [bullet-hell]  (Read 490 times)
arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »

Hi

I threw together a little score running bullet-hell for #insiesvspewdiepie. It's up on Gamejolt if anyone is interested!

The dev process was pretty interesting! I tried a few things that I don't normally do. For one, I programmed "badly". If you've been following Jonathan Blow's programming language related videos recently, you may be familiar with his disdain for object orientation as a goal onto itself. He seems to prefer writing code procedurally, and then cleaning it up as he goes. This is the programming style I adopted for the jam. In the post-jam weeks I'm going to refactor everything into objects and state-machines and such, as is my way. However, for the jam, it worked really nicely! I encountered only mild entanglement, because I used a lot of blocks to enclose variable scope and, I guess, because things were pretty simple.

I used a procedural generation technique described by nullprogram for the starfield and placement of asteroids and asteroid belts. That's probably the most interesting and involved part of the program, and is something I'll be expanding on after the jam. For the game is a high-score run, but that wasn't my initial goal. I want the game to be like Titan Souls: a mash-up of Shadow of Collosus and Dark Souls. The idea was, fleets of small enemy ships that need to be mostly avoided but that will kill you fast, and then bosses scattered around space that are VAST like death-star style, and which make use of crazy future-tech ilke gravity weapons or relativistic weapons.

OK that's it for me talking: check out the jam version if you like. I'll probably put up a devlog once I have momentum in the post-jam.

linky: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/gunship-souls/38623/
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id124TfferU&feature=youtu.be

z.

z.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic