Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:20:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDo I have to make Kickstarter?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do I have to make Kickstarter?  (Read 677 times)
JohnnyOstad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

Do I have to make a Kickstarter?
I am going to put my game in Greenlight soon but something that I have noticed is that most people who uploaded their game on Greenlight also make Kickstarter.
To be honest I am in no rush of making money, but it seems that Kickstarter helps with "attracting people", so for that reason I am willing to make a Kickstarter.
But the rewards are a big problem for me too. I have looked at most successful Kickstarter projects, they have around 10-20 different variety of rewards, and i don’t have much to offer, The best I can do is, “Digital copy of the game”, “10 days early access”, “Name in credit section”.
Finally, the last thing that bothers me is that if the Kickstarter fails, it remains as bad reference in the internet. So if one day I become the most successful game designer in the world with five game of the years awards and three MMORPGs. People are going to laugh at me and say, haha... your first Kickstarter failed!
So my question is, Do I make Kickstarter for the sake of publicity and attraction, or do I just stick with Greenlight.

Here is the DRAFT of my Kickstarter, I haven’t launched it yet:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682141944/1418810438?token=8317ee83

Check out my game: http://shalnorlegends.com
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

First of all, you're not gonna be that famous, if you do become that famous, then you owe me 5 bucks
Second of all, Kickstarter isn't a place to sell your game, it's a place to fund games, you don't make money out of it, because the money is supposed to go to the development of your game
Third, everyone fails, it's not gonna hurt your reputation to fail a kickstarter, what will ruin your reputation is putting in a bad kickstarter (bad game, something like that) and, that's gonna stay there forever
Finally, if you want to make a kickstarter, you gotta put in your soul and life, if you to even think of funding a kickstarter, you gotta put in good rewards, and have a strong reason to use the kickstarter (Idk what makes a kickstarter successful, don't ask me) You don't just put in a Kickstarter that is "Hey i made a platformer, I don't really have a reason to put this kickstarter on, and my game looks a bit crappy (Either your game must be really good looking, I mean really), i don't have a decent trailer (Trailer is the seller of your game) and my rewards are crappy (Or this, maybe tee-shirts, or something like that idk), also i don't have a strong reason but who cares, so yeah, shoot money at me, kthxbye" you will probably fail, so that's it
Also, go check out marketing, you don't always have to go thru kickstarter to become famous
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »

Here, read these. Tons of good advice
http://www.crowdcrux.com/kickstarter-post-mortems-to-read-before-launching-a-crowdfunding-campaign/

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Rekuul
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

Unless you're ready and willing to spend a significant amount of time marketing your game- Kickstarter isn't going to help you that much. Maybe in 2012 it would have, but these days you will get only a trickle of traffic through Kickstarter unless you become a Staff Pick. You'll most likely get *far* more traffic through your Greenlight than your Kickstarter.

I ran a failed Kickstarter this year and while it wasn't a terrible experience, it is something that demands a lot of time. It isn't 'free traffic', so if that is your main motivation for running one: don't.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic