Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:04:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame demos - worth it? Puppy Games says no, but what do you think?
Poll
Question: Does it make business sense to offer a game demo?
Absolutely, demos drive sales!
Yes, demos are a great marketing tool.
Some kinds of game may benefit. (What kinds? Comment!)
It's a waste of effort.
Demos actively harm sales, even for high-quality games.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game demos - worth it? Puppy Games says no, but what do you think?  (Read 2954 times)
FreelancerFile
Level 0

FreelancerFile.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 02:26:54 AM »

Isn't that the main argument of those proposing everybody to switch to HTML5 actually, that you could skip the downloading step as well and just embed the game in the site itself? (and then provide downloading for those who want to keep playing the game outside the site)

Was that a reply to me? I wasn't sure Smiley, but the problem with html5 games is that they can't go viral or at least not as easily as Flash games could because of the portability of the .swf file, and the reason that worked was because arcade site owners could embed the .swf and then make money from the ads around it, with HTML5 games it's hard to do that.

FREE iOS Cat Game! Fat Bubble Cat!
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »

@Sik, that's one of the goals of applinks.org, it's a Facebook project; the gist of it is to be able to have links that can go to the relevant iOS, Android, Windows Phone, WIndows, OSX or website, depending on whether the user has the app or not. Quite elegant, and since it's already being adopted on Facebook it already has traction and viability  - I've already adopted it for Molecule Match.

Apologies for being off topic.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 02:32:06 AM »

I'm interested on the research on this. I know Nintendo thought demos harmed sales and this makes sense to me.

I remember replaying demos when I was younger and then not buying the full game as a result.

CornerBoothGames
Level 0

Artist & Game Dev Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »

I'm on the fence as well, but I grew up with traditional demos, so I am used to expecting them before launch. It definitely depends on the type of game though, and who the market is. I also agree with others that said demos work before launch but not after. I wouldn't want a demo to keep potential players from downloading the full game, but at the same time, it may help expand the player base. I used to buy games I never would have otherwise had it not been for the demo.

I guess my answer is...it depends on so many things, but generally, I don't see any harm in a demo before launch.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »

I guess my answer is...it depends on so many things, but generally, I don't see any harm in a demo before launch.

Im trying this strategy right now. I'm more interested in getting more playtesters to play the game, and see if any new bugs emerge. Asking for playtesters got me nowhere, so I'm going to try and release it as a free demo (actually the full game) to see if that helps. Once that game has launched, I'm going to pull down the demo.

gmmoraes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »

Demos that are usually a small part of the game have never attracted me to buy a game although I have spent some money in F2P games to get the full content, I think that demos like F2P games are a good marketing strategy, that is why a lot of MMORPG follow this model nowadays.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »

F2P games are not demos though, and in fact the thing that usually brings the most money in F2P games are consumables - one-time locks don't make much money (if you treat F2P like a demo you're pretty much screwed).
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »

I wonder though, which is more likely to generate revenue on mobile (however small) - one-time unlockable full content (and maybe remove ads) type of approach or premium games?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »

On mobile neither really make money to the point that it's not worth even distinguishing them. Mobile is pretty much F2P-only territory and I don't see that changing any time soon (in fact I'm wondering if Apple or Google are considering enforcing this in their stores eventually).

The question about whether demos help or not is only relevant on other platforms, where F2P really hasn't taken off big, at least not yet (except maybe for MMOs and a small handful of other on-line games). The players there don't seem fond of microtransactions really... (unless it's Brazil, which went full blown F2P on absolutely everything apparently)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic