Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:35:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for some critique on my main dude
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for some critique on my main dude  (Read 2593 times)
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »

Hi, again! I got a couple comments on my devlog about the shading of my main character. I really appreciate any and all comments over there but the couple I got I'd really like more specifics. A more detailed critique is in order! This is the first character I began for the game and is the oldest, but ive worked on it so long my eyes have become used to it, so I could really use some fresh perspectives Smiley

Here it is! tear me a new one Evil

edit: here is the devlog btw
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43271.0
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:51:13 PM by BarelyHuman » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »

OK.

Huh... honestly my biggest complaints would be the proportions. That thing at the top of the helmet looks too large, so unless it actually plays a role in some skill or something I'd make it smaller (if it does though better to leave it like that). The hands also seem too small, although maybe I'm just too accustomed to cartoony characters which exagerate them. And the legs seem too short (and not in an art style that obviously requires it), so I'd probably try to make them larger.

Shading in high resolution is hard =P Also you may want to link to that devlog so we can see better the context, maybe those proportions make more sense with it.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »

Hey, thanks for the reply. His horn is only for story reasons so I would be open to making it smaller for sure. Although I am going to keep the exaggerated proportions, I definately see what you mean. The hands have given me trouble in the past, and when animating the run cycle I had to further exaggerate the legs to get it to look right. So, I could try to make the proportions a bit less exagerated. Thanks again!
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »

Well, if the horn is there for story reasons then it still makes sense to make it exagerated like that. I was meaning more like if it's just there for looks then it probably should be smaller.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »

I don't mind the overall proportions if it fits the style you're going for, but the eyeslit looks way too high up - I'm trying to picture what his face might look like without the helmet on and all I can imagine is that he must have eyes on stalks or something in order to be able to see out of that thing.

The 'abs' on the muscle cuirass are so wide that they look more like flab-rolls.  The shading in that area also doesn't seem to have a clear light direction and doesn't really look all that metallic.  I would also suggest generally making the highlights on the armour a bit sharper and adding in some secondary highlights to sell the idea that it's a reflective surface.  Take a look at some photos of real suits of armour for reference.  This tutorial might also help: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Armour_Tutorial

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
jagraybox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »

The 'abs' on the muscle cuirass are so wide that they look more like flab-rolls.

This was my first thought as well. I get the idea of the rolls being abs, but they extend all the way up the chest and that confuses me. Try making the chest region appear flatter or simpler.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »

The bottom half of the torso looks way too busy.

For one, the red line (belt?)seems to serve no functional purpose, and it makes the chestplate portion below appear more like flabs of fat. The chainmail shirt underneath looks out of place considering the character is literally covered head to toe in plate armor.

From someone who studied a bit of armor design, the shoulder claws would normally irk me a bit since one of the main points of armor is to have the hits roll off it instead of taking direct hits or catch on something. However it does look cool and perhaps it could be emphasized for silhouette identification purposes or just have it flat on the shoulder armor surface.

Twitter
Lux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

The proportions are fine; your main problem is the pillow-shading. There isn't a clear directional light source, and the transitions between shades are all rather smooth, which suggests a matte surface like clay. Shiny metal has sharp jumps in value and hue with not much of a transition between shades at all.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »

The proportions are fine; your main problem is the pillow-shading. There isn't a clear directional light source, and the transitions between shades are all rather smooth, which suggests a matte surface like clay. Shiny metal has sharp jumps in value and hue with not much of a transition between shades at all.
that is a really good article, thanks.
pikpiak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:32:33 PM »

Not sure if this suits your current art style, but you can try lowering the hue/contrast of the inner arm and leg, so it's clearer in animation which parts are moving and adds a sense of depth instead of looking flat.

LStro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »

Lux has the right idea. The pillow shading makes his armor look soft and you can't get a good sense of lighting. Not sure if thats what you're going for or not. Also, the way you drew his armor makes him look pretty soft overall, again, Im not sure if thats the look you're going for.

I sketched him out and made some minor changes to his armor, I didn't shade it but added some key points that I think make his outfit more knightly (such as more hard corners, horn details, less softness in outline).

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

Like what's already been said, the pillow shading really makes it soft and not natural. At this point even a unshaded one will look much better in my opinion.

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:47:11 AM »

Yea I agree, Lux knows what's up.

Along the same lines as not having a light source, I'd add that he's got too much contrast. Or more specifically, too much black. This depends on your BGs though. If the BGs are darker, then I'd lighten him up only a bit. But if you've got light BGs, then I think he might look a bit weird on top of them.

...check out Arthur yo. Just thin black lines.

..here, I just tweaked the curves and saturation in photoshop...

Hope that helps!

Oh god make it stop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic