Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:00:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborations[Profit Share] Bubbleman: Journey Through the Stars!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Profit Share] Bubbleman: Journey Through the Stars!  (Read 1825 times)
dog199200
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:46:06 AM »

Hello everyone. I am a C++/C# programmer, and I am looking to expand my development team. My project is called BubbleMan: Journey Through the Stars, which you can find more information about it here.

At this current time, the development consists of six trained developers total: three programmers, one audio developer, one animation designer, and one concept artists. I would like to add at least three 3D rendering artists, one more programmer, two level designers, and two more concept artist/2D designer. That means three people working on 3D rendering and programming, one person working on animation, one person working on audio, and three people working on concept work.

Concept Artist / 2D Designers
I am looking for several highly skilled concept art to help focus on character design and level/mapping design. The concept work can be done either digitally or hand drawn. The graphic style of the game is rather cartoon like, so those with a history of drawing cartoon style images is preferred. You may be asked to show some of your design work.

3D Designers
I am looking for several skilled 3D rendering artists. I would like to have an artist who can assist with meshing characters such as cannon, and npc character. The artist may be asked to help with level design mesh work. I also need one 3D designer who can strictly focus on creating mapping mesh work. All 3D designers will be asked to work closely with the animator, and the concept artists.

Programmers
I am looking for a skilled C# programmer. The game engine being used is the Unity3D game engine, so any experience programming for the Unity3D game engine is preferred, but not required. Being able to track and document any changes that were made, and why, is a requirement for the position.

Level Designers/Prototyping
I am looking for several trained level designers. The level designer will be taking mapping concepts and assembling within the Unity game engine. The designer will require a measure of creativity, as they will be asked to prototype any areas that are not predefined by concept art. The designer will doing level design in both 3D mapping space, such as planet surfaced, and be prototying 3D platformer dungeons.  Any history and experience with the Unity game engine, and the following asset are a plus:

Relief Terrain Pack v3.2: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5664
ProCore Complete Bundle: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15447

Profit
Ideally, everyone will get paid once the project is finished. All profits at that point will be distributed equally between each member in the development team unless a certain percentage is negotiated prior to collaboration. However, the goal is to put together a tech demo of the game and use it to launch a kickstarter. The kickstarter is intended to pay for all the software needs, and to be able to pay each developer at least $1,500 a month. This does NOT count against the profit share, and is not guaranteed.  

Other Comments
I am looking for hard working, and professional developers who are interested in making a commercial scale game. All developers will be required to apply as a Nintendo indie developer for Nintendo of America. Any prior experience with a Unity development environment is valued, but is not required. Anyone interested must be ok with the game being released under my company name, Shining Ashes, but everyone will receive their due credit. All services are on a project basis, but after the game is finished you may be asked to stay on as part the company.

I am never sure what kind of questions people may ask when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I don't know what information to put down. If you have any question, please feel free to reply here, or send me an email to the address in my signature and I will do my best to answer.  Over all, I want to make a fun project, with a fun team, and make something that people will love and enjoy as much as the team loves and enjoys making it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:44:10 AM by Dwight » Logged
scrapmechs
Level 0

Scrap mechs baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »

Hey Dwight,

My name is Erik Morrow and I am pretty interested in your project. I would like to apply for a position as a programmer. Here is a break down of by situation and skills so far:
  • Currently enrolled at CTU Online as App developer (est complete feb 2016)
  • Current working knowledge with Unity, UE4, Game Maker, Contruct2
  • Working/studying C#/mono (working knowledge WPF,Silverlight,ADO...etc)
  • studied C++ for server years(SDL)
  • working knowledge in Java (swift)
  • I have been using Unity for around 3.5
  • to the date I have made roughly 3 projects (2 solo)
  • I am also an artist!
  • autodesk suite (maya,max)
  • blender is my favorite!
  • photoshop, flash 2D
  • much much more (CAD, 3d printing)

Hope this is enough to spark a reply. Here are links to a few things

Duck Darts for 1game a month:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106599552/Games/DuckDarts/DuckDarts.html

2D art:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106599552/Artwork/2D/mechs_battle.jpg

[email protected]
Erik Morrow
dog199200
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

Update!

An animation designer position has opened up. More details about the requirements and expectations of the positions have been added to the first post.
wifom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »

Hello!

I'm highly interested in applying as a concept artist/2D designer. I think the style of the art used in Bubbleman is similar to one that is within my comfort zone.

You can check my tumblr here: www.mrwifom.tumblr.com

Some art pieces that may catch your eye as being synonymous with your current team of artists' gallery are linked below, with a year of when I created it:

These ones have more of a "anime"/"cute" style to them...

Whereas these ones are a little closer to the example you have in your thread (in reference to the back/front view of the character with the hammer)...

I am also very comfortable with vector style art like so: http://bit.ly/1w2YKNz

The reason I included samples from 2009 is that I believe those particular drawings fit better to the style that you're aiming for. Even though I do not have any recent drawings that indicate more of a comic-cartoon style, it is definitely within my comfort zone. If you'd like a sample of some now, I can make some examples within the next few days.

I am also very willing to take a stab at Unity for this. I was an intern for a start-up mobile app company called "LiteSprite." I attempted to use Unity to build some assets, but I am in no way at a level comfortable enough to use it at the moment. If you don't mind taking a chance on me, I can guarantee I will work hard to learn it quickly!

Here is a link to my attempt at animating with Unity:

I also have a bit of experience with making stop-motion animation videos if you're perhaps interested in making one for promotional purposes.

Finally, I noticed on your Facebook page that you do promotional giveaways like shirts. I have a bit of background in merchandise! I have a store of my own, primarily only selling a mousepad and a couple shirts, all designed by me. You can check it out at wifom.storenvy.com

Now, here are some questions!

1) Who is currently on the team and what are their responsibilities? I'm currently interested in helping out with the UI in addition to any art assets and character designs that you would like me to do if I join the team. I want to take a dabble at that as well!
2) Have you made any sort of marketing and/or business plan thus far? If so, how do you foresee the foundation of your company using Bubbleman as a building block?
3) Do you have a goal or timeline or list of milestones that you want to achieve for this project? What do you vision as being the launch date (past all the bugs, testing, etc.)?
4) I noticed that your Facebook page has been running since 2011. Can I ask why the progress of the game may have seemed a little slow? After 3 years, the game is still in its early development stages and does not seem as flushed out as it possibly could.
5) Just from your perspective, why do you think that your initial Kickstarter campaign was not as successful as you had hoped it to be?
6) Are you open to different angles at approaching the early stages of building the game? For example, I know that in your original Kickstarter, you mentioned that you would like to fund for software like Maya, which is primarily used for 3D. However, that puts an extreme burden on budget costs. Would you be against possibly tackling the project from strictly a 2D stance? Just thinking about the most effective and cost-efficient way to approach an indie game that is just getting off the ground with little to no funding.
7) I see that your facebook page already has ratings. What are they ratings of?

Hopefully, I don't sound obnoxious or rude with my questions! If I do, I apologize! I really do want to help the team if you think I'm a good fit.

I would really appreciate if you could e-mail me at [email protected] or adding my skype, dinosoraa if you're interested in talking about this more!

Thanks! Best of luck with your recruitment. The game sounds really cute, simple, but addicting! I love things with heroic aspects to it. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:48:16 AM by wifom » Logged
dog199200
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

wifom,

I just wanted to say that I am highly interested in having you join the team. I will answer your questions the best I can, and you can decide if you'd like to join from there.

1) Who is currently on the team and what are their responsibilities? I'm currently interested in helping out with the UI in addition to any art assets and character designs that you would like me to do if I join the team. I want to take a dabble at that as well!

I am not entirely comfortable giving out the names of my designers, or what they do without their consent. I can say that Erik, who posted above, is the only one on the team who is from this site. Almost the entire team is comprised of college trained developers, whether programming or graphics design, and is still in school or has graduated. At this time, I have only one 3D designer who is working on character/npc renders, and I have one designer working on concept work for the first planet, and one concept artist working on npc character concepts for the first planet. I personally am writing the story, am the project lead, doing all the documentation for the game mechanics, and development break down of the game. I have a 3D level design artist as well, but we are waiting to get the main character mesh finished so that we can adjust our prototyping to the characters movement accordingly. I know it is indirect, but I hope it answers your question.

2) Have you made any sort of marketing and/or business plan thus far? If so, how do you foresee the foundation of your company using Bubbleman as a building block?

At this time, marketing has been the lowest priority. My main focus right now is building a strong team for this project. When it comes time to focus on marketing, social media is going to be a big outlet. Not just using Facebook or twitter, but doing podcasts, game play demos, and even merchandise. The bubble man project is only a stepping stone. The goal is that the bubble man project will drawn in enough money for the company that a full time staff can be hired for future projects. The game is cartoony, has rather simple game mechanics, and is primarily story driven, so after the concept and mesh work is finished assembly and programming shouldn't take that long. It is a great and simple project for anyone joining the team to get used to working together on, so if they decide to stay on as full time developers for the company they will have a comfortable team to work with on more complex project.

3) Do you have a goal or timeline or list of milestones that you want to achieve for this project? What do you vision as being the launch date (past all the bugs, testing, etc.)?

At this time, all of this is up in the air. The bubble man project didn't actually start until recently. The project was thought of and discussed late last year, but the designer who did the original concept work dropped the project and it halted. I continued to think about the project and storyline, and recently began putting a team together to get the project started. I am still expanding the team, but I want to get a tech demo assembled before putting together a timeline. The tech demo will consist of basic game mechanics and a fully prototyped first planet. This till give me a solid gauge of the teams abilities, and about how long each section will take. At this time all I will establish a release date and full development timeline. However, the goal is to have all the concept work for the first planet finished at the end of January at the latest.

4) I noticed that your Facebook page has been running since 2011. Can I ask why the progress of the game may have seemed a little slow? After 3 years, the game is still in its early development stages and does not seem as flushed out as it possibly could.

The Facebook game may have been running for that long, but this project has not been running that wrong. Originally Shining Ashes was intended to be a freelance software development company, but merged into video game development. For several years, I was working on a project by the name of Divine Shadows, which was intended to be an MMO. The Facebook page was created to keep everyone up to date on the project. At the time there was only three people working on the project, on a game engine that was still being developed, so the project was scrapped.

5) Just from your perspective, why do you think that your initial Kickstarter campaign was not as successful as you had hoped it to be?

I actually did not expect the original Kickstarter to work out. It would have been great if it had, but I was more interested in seeing the public's reaction. I got several emails from people offering ways I could improve the kickstarter, or other ways I could advertise the kickstarter to get the game the attention they felt it deserved. Regardless, the reason it has failed was the result of only having a concept. I had character concepts, and a storyline overview, but no demo, no video showing possible gameplay. The goal is to create a playable tech demo of the game, showing off a prototyped world, and some fo the game mechanics. This will show that the team is putting effort into the project and knows what they are doing, and not just talking about a concept.

6) Are you open to different angles at approaching the early stages of building the game? For example, I know that in your original Kickstarter, you mentioned that you would like to fund for software like Maya, which is primarily used for 3D. However, that puts an extreme burden on budget costs. Would you be against possibly tackling the project from strictly a 2D stance? Just thinking about the most effective and cost-efficient way to approach an indie game that is just getting off the ground with little to no funding.

As nice as it would be to have AAA quality software to develop the game, there are free alternatives that work just as well. Blender works just as well for 3D render, and MonoDev works just as well as Visual Studios as a compiler. Yes, they are not as convenient as AAA software, and will slow development down a little, but the quality of the work can be just the same. The main point of the kickstarter was to accelerate development, but it was never a requirement. As for the project being done in 2D, there is no way it can be done and retain its integrity. There is a dungeon system that uses a 2D camera system, but all the levels are still prototyped. The only expense is the prototype sofware which is $150 per seat, which I will pay for out of pocket.

7) I see that your facebook page already has ratings. What are they ratings of?

I am not really sure what the page has ratings. when I launched the Kickstarters I paid to advertise it, which is why the page has so many likes and the ratings. I could only speculate that the likes are based on them liking what they seen from the Kickstarter, but outside of that I am not sure.

I hope I answered the questions to your satisfaction.
wifom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

Thanks Dwight, for your wonderful response to my questions! I still hold the same excitement and desire to join your team of amazing people!

For easier communication you can add my Facebook (fb.com/sorasc) and talk from there if you are comfortable with doing that. If you would prefer email or skype, we can do that instead.

I look forward to talking with you! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:58:04 PM by wifom » Logged
dog199200
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »

Update!

An a level designer/prototyping position has opened up! For more information about this position, please review the first post.
Nathan Cleary
Level 0

Professional Composer & Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

I'm currently working with the team doing the audio and I can't recommend them enough, great team to work with!  Toast Left

---- Video Games Composer & Sound Designer - www.NathanClearyMusic.co.uk - Discord: NathanCleary1#5718  ----
dog199200
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »

Thank you Nathan. I completely forgot you were on this site as well. lol
dog199200
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:22:47 PM »

Update!

A 3D level designer position just opened up! If you are interested in 3D level design and level prototyping, please review the first post for more information!
dog199200
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »

I figured I would post a short prototype video showing progress is being made on the project. We are still looking to expand our team!
dog199200
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:51:21 AM »

Update!

Position descriptions and openings have been updated. If you are a skilled designer looking to join a professional and friendly development team, please review our open positions. If you are interested in a position, feel free to contact me via commenting here or email me at [email protected]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic