Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:31:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)  (Read 21689 times)
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

Of course he fucking knows what it is supposed to be. This should not be something difficult to figure out or understand. He was being a fucking asshole. simple.

[...]

He is STILL being a fucking asshole. The game is not that bad. He is just being a total fucking bitch.

[...]

The 3 day thing is supposed to be an excuse for you not to act like a fucking asshole. Just because people CAN make something quality in 3 days, doesn't mean everyone will. Why does he pretend to be such a confused innocent fucking bitch? He knows exactly how much of an asshole he is, and yet he is pretending this is about something other than that he is an asshole.

You need to calm down. If he is a genuine asshole, then you're only giving him what he wants by throwing a tantrum. You're not achieving anything (except for maybe amusing Rat Casket) by being angry.

The excuse for not making a quality game isn't that it was 3 days, it is that I am new to this, and I have NEVER fucking made a game, and I know I did not get to 90% of the things I wanted to. I did not even have time to resize the fucking HUD text. MY god damn well froze over that weekend, because my landlord is a fucking idiot, and it is still frozen now. Those are excuses for the quality.

But that is not what you said earlier. This is what you said:

The Dino Arena thing was just a silly idea, but really... its nowhere near as bad as you make it sound, and I am quite aware of why it is bad. I really don't understand why you seem to overlook that it is a 3 day game jam.

We're not going to be more positive about your game just because it's only a 3 day game jam. A game is a game, and if it's not very good, it's not very good, regardless of in what context or in what time it was made.

But congrats on making your first game. It's not bad for a first game.
rocknlouie
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »

Anyone else care to rate my game? its nice to hear feedback, even if negative.

I've posted feedback on your game.

Very in depth feedback. All negative. But, all very useful. Most of it I am aware of, but even then it is very useful to hear people confirm the exact things I thought were wrong. You went well beyond what I could have thought of, which is even better. But you did not like a single thing?

Here is what I liked:
- I made a HUD for the first time, and the hearts and blue bullet icon look ok
- I got the jetpack working by accident, and it handles ok (it was supposed to be a rocket launcher)
- there are some sort of pickups
- there are some variety to enemies
- you can die
- you can kill dinos
- dinos can damage you
- I made a grass tile that tiles across the edge properly
- the barrel looks sweet. better than anything else I have done so far. My previous pixel art experience can fit on the spritesheet I used for the game.

These are things I have never done before... I have never even made a guy do damage to my character before. So I guess all the things I thought I got right, are things that most people take for granted.

The things I did not like:
- gun ended up being a stupid water gun. I wanted that one to be a shotgun, and then I wanted a rocket launcher and a machine gun. at least.
- powerups were made in last hour and did not have time to make textures for them (one is just a dino skin on a cube)
- powerups have no indication of what they do, and their effect is too small to be noticeable
- jetpack is barely working, and only worked by accident due to unity physics lifting my character up when I spawn objects under him. I would like more predictable and systematic control over it
- feedback of what is happening is non-existent. can't even tell when you died. can't even tell when you get a gameover.
- score system is an afterthought (finished in last 10 minutes)
- HUD lacks many feedback messages or they are too small. I would like to have created sprites with the text in these in very large stylized characters.
- There is no way to actually win the game
- The single worst part is the dino logic. Which is no logic. I would like them to be moving more systematically. The idea I had in my mind was that they would think about where you are and then try to move towards you for a few blocks, and then if they came within range, they would pounce. Instead I just have them moving towards me at all times, and they behave a lot more like orbiting planets than creatures. I was having a lot of trouble getting Unity to behave, especially with the mass and drag of objects. I would normally have moved the guys by Lerping their position manually between their current position and their target position, but this time I was trying to do it how Unity wants you to do it (I think?). Which is to use AddForce, but I spent almost an entire day just trying to get the damn dinosaurs to stop flying around everywhere or to stop moving like snails. This is the part that makes me want to scrap the entire thing and restart, if I were ever to try to remake the game again. Which I won't because it was just a reason to learn a bunch of stuff in 3 days.
- The game progression is basically just a number increasing every 10 waves, which increases all the stats of the dinos. This is very crude and would completely be replaced if I had time.
- The perspective was confusing to too many people. I was basically just re-purposing what I already had. I would have got even less done otherwise. But, now I realize either it completely does not work for anything, or at least it definitely does not work for a fast paced action game.
- The game is too dark. There is a very good color theory based reason for this, but I won't go into it. Ultimately if its too dark, its too dark. I will have to try to figure out how to solve this without sacrificing
- The sound effects would almost have been better if they had not been there. They are way too loud and ear piercing at times. I know exactly how to fix this, but didn't have time. Really, I would use something other than BFXR next time, I don't have enough time to be doctoring the sound files the generator makes.
- I wanted to do more tiles. Although, even the barrel shouldn't have been done, because doing the gameplay would have been a much better use of my time.
- Maps did not change. Originally the plan was to make the levels change between waves of dinos. I even had the thing loading maps from Tiled Map Editor xml files. Making a map only took a few minutes, but I did not have the time to code the actual part that changes maps into the game. I even wanted to include an in game map editor.
- the dinos spawn in just by dropping in from above. Even that was not working properly, because they were not supposed to float down. They were supposed to drop really fast. I could not get mass/drag to work properly, even by the end. I wanted to have them jump in from the sides, or spawn at little cave entrances which would be placeable using the map editor.
- and many many more things

The thing that I will be taking away from LD, is that I need to work on my time management, and that there is still a lot that I need to figure out before I can make a full game. Also, that I will never do another LD until I have mastered these things. I thought it would be OK to just see what I can get done, despite lacking the experience. I never expected that some asshole would hurl insults at me for doing this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:00:56 PM by rocknlouie » Logged
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »

See? You can't win with this shitter. No matter what you say about his game he has to swoop in and justify all of his bad design decisions. Dude it doesn't fucking matter what you THINK about your game. This is something you need to understand if you want to keep making games. Nobody gives half a fuck about how YOU see the game. We, the players, are not YOU and since you are making a game for US it has to make sense to US.

If all of the feedback is negative, then your game is bad. And no. Nobody likes anything about Top Down Shooter #3948572093485720394857203946587194658 with shit controls and impossible visual design.

I mean congrats on making your first game but its fucking awful. Shut up and make a new game Jesus fucking Christ.

Every single person here who has made a game has made DOZENS of games that are trash can tier. My first game is a disaster! Here! Go play it! http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/blocpk/18692/

My second game? ALSO a disaster.
The 20-30 prototypes I've made this year? All of em shit.

Just because you produced something doesn't mean anybody is obligated to enjoy it. We aren't your parents. Its not going on the fridge. Its going in a dumpster with everybody elses failed attempts at "good". Its just how it works.

Stop crying and improve or find a new hobby, fuckboi.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:36:09 PM by Rat Casket » Logged

rocknlouie
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »

But that is not what you said earlier. This is what you said:

The Dino Arena thing was just a silly idea, but really... its nowhere near as bad as you make it sound, and I am quite aware of why it is bad. I really don't understand why you seem to overlook that it is a 3 day game jam.

We're not going to be more positive about your game just because it's only a 3 day game jam. A game is a game, and if it's not very good, it's not very good, regardless of in what context or in what time it was made.

I dont want people to be overly positive, that is pretty much useless. Let me clarify: it is bad. However, I still don't think it is AS BAD, as he makes it sound, and by that I meant specifically that he was saying it isn't even a game. Sure it is bad, but that is hardly fair. Also, the 3 days was not an excuse to get higher ratings. It is a reason for not insulting every bad game you come across. Of all the games I played so far, about half, if not more, were as crude as my game. Does he really go around insulting everyone like that? That is what I was trying to say. It is a game jam, does he really expect that every game will be finished? I do want people to rate it for what it is, and I like negative feedback, but this is only about the insult. There is no good reason to insult... especially a 3 day game jam. Lacking the ability to understand why it isn't cool to insult people at a 3 day game jam is even straight up stupid (still talking about rat casket, just to be sure). He still plays the innocent, acting like he doesn't understand what he did wrong.
rocknlouie
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

See? You can't win with this shitter. No matter what you say about his game he has to swoop in and justify all of his bad design decisions. Dude it doesn't fucking matter what you THINK about your game. This is something you need to understand if you want to keep making games. Nobody gives half a fuck about how YOU see the game. We, the players, are not YOU and since you are making a game for US it has to make sense to US.

If all of the feedback is negative, then your game is bad. And no. Nobody likes anything about Top Down Shooter #3948572093485720394857203946587194658 with shit controls and impossible visual design.

I mean congrats on making your first game but its fucking awful. Shut up and make a new game Jesus fucking Christ.

Every single person here who has made a game has made DOZENS of games that are trash can tier. My first game is a disaster! Here! Go play it! http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/blocpk/18692/

My second game? ALSO a disaster.
The 20-30 prototypes I've made this year? All of em shit.

Just because you produced something doesn't mean anybody is obligated to enjoy it. We aren't your parents. Its not going on the fridge. Its going in a dumpster with everybody elses failed attempts at "good". Its just how it works.

Stop crying and improve or find a new hobby, fuckboi.

They are not justifications, I was trying to show that I am aware of the problems. I was trying to demonstrate that I was making sense of the feedback I was getting, and that I was realizing that all the things I liked were actually not that relevant to others. I know this game is garbage. Starting from scratch is the best plan, and always was the plan. I didnt expect people to love my game. Some people left some positive feedback, but I could also tell a lot of people were just being nice, which isn't that useful. Like I have said repeatedly, you know exactly which part of your comment was insulting and unnecessary. Stop trying to ellude this by focusing all the attention on how bad my game is. And stop trying to twist it so that it ends up seeming like I just cant take the criticism. You KNOW you were being an asshole. Before I found you here at TIG, being a rat behind my back, you could get away with twisting it however you liked. But, now I am here, and yet you still try to play the innocent machiavellian?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:04:59 PM by rocknlouie » Logged
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »

Considering that telling you that your game is bad, and that I have no idea what you're trying to do with this piece of shit, is not a crime? I'm innocent as all hell.

But please continue to post paragraph after paragraph of tears and shit up this thread. Instead of, you know, sending me a PM or something so that you don't have to waste everybody elses time with your asinine and argumentative posts.

So either shut the fuck up.
Or yell at my inbox.

rocknlouie
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »

It certainly is not a crime. You really are good at twisting things. There can be innocence of more than just crimes. The innocent you play that I refer to is the one where you pretend like you do not understand why people get so upset when you insult them. Do you often wonder why people respond to you in anger? You made it public, it ends public.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »

Okay sure. I just want to stop ruining this thread so okay you win. You did it. now will you relax? You're starting to look like a real asshole and its embarrassing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:44:35 PM by Rat Casket » Logged

rocknlouie
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »

I am not embarrassed about having to go too far to stop a manipulative liar and cheat. You can't win with those tactics around me. I am a way bigger asshole than you, or most people. My parents would put that shit straight in the trashcan, tell me to go learn more maths. Fuck those assholes. I have thicker skin than you realize, but I also yell back, and that is what YOU were whining about in the first place. Your first four remarks were useful, fifth one, I had to respond. I don't think I even have control over it.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

- The sound effects would almost have been better if they had not been there. They are way too loud and ear piercing at times. I know exactly how to fix this, but didn't have time. Really, I would use something other than BFXR next time, I don't have enough time to be doctoring the sound files the generator makes.

They wouldn't. Situations where no sound is preferable to shitty sound are extremely rare. Play Tifu's game (Deicide) if you want to experience an example of what happens if you have no sound in an action game. You NEED sound, regardless of how bad, for feedback reasons.

Also, that I will never do another LD until I have mastered these things.

You should join again next LD. You learn by doing, and LD is one of the best occasions for it. You also sometimes get good feedback on your game which can help you improve faster than if you were to just make things on your own.

I never expected that some asshole would hurl insults at me for doing this.

Hold on one second there. Rat Casket did not hurl a single insult at you until you made a mocking post on his game to get back at him for criticizing your game. Even then, he only insulted you for making that comment on his game (rendering you an asshole in his eyes). Even after that, he didn't insult you again until you threw your earlier tantrum. The big commonality here is that he never once insulted you for making a game, for making certain game design decisions, for submitting to Ludum Dare, or for any other part of participating in Ludum Dare. He called you an asshole and a fuckboi [sic] because of the way you responded to him. You need to learn to separate criticism of your game from criticism of you. This is an essential step in learning to take criticism.

Of all the games I played so far, about half, if not more, were as crude as my game.

Indeed. There's many shitty games every LD, and many of them are by first-time game devs like you. And I am equally harsh on all of them.

In case you were wondering, out of the 12 games I've rated so far, 2 received a worse rating than yours and 2 others have the same rating as your game (including, notably, one by a creator I've enthusiastically given 5/5 before). If it weren't for the star deducted for violating that one rule, there would be 4 worse than yours and 3 at the same rating.

I was trying to demonstrate that I was making sense of the feedback I was getting, and that I was realizing that all the things I liked were actually not that relevant to others.

While that's nice, and I personally don't mind, it's bad practice to do this as many will consider responding with your thoughts on the feedback to be defensive, and as such it discourages people from giving feedback. In your mind you will think over the feedback, agree with some of it and discard other parts of it, and that's completely fine, but most people don't want to hear what you really think of the feedback (beyond showing appreciation for the fact that the feedback was useful, if it was).

Some people left some positive feedback, but I could also tell a lot of people were just being nice, which isn't that useful.

I like to burst bullshit bubbles before they can do any damage, so in case you didn't fully realize: Most of the 'nice game'-style comments are bullshit and they're just being nice to be polite (and blah blah blah welcoming community blah blah). They'll still rate your game low, so don't be surprised if your game is rated strangely low for something everybody claims to have enjoyed thoroughly.

And stop trying to twist it so that it ends up seeming like I just cant take the criticism.

But you can't take criticism. If you agree with criticism, thank the person who gave it and move on. If you think the criticism is bullshit and the person is an asshole, ignore it and move on. Getting into an argument because someone insulted your game shows that you can't take criticism. Note that not all criticism is constructive, and enduring non-constructive criticism is a part of being able to take criticism.

But please continue to post paragraph after paragraph of tears and shit up this thread.

Oh please, like we don't both clearly know you trolled him into shitting up the thread. I highly doubt you're genuinely concerned about him shitting up the thread.

I have thicker skin than you realize,

Yeah, no, you blew up over a simple troll criticizing your game and then let him troll you into posting angry rants. That's a serious lack of thick skin, which is not uncommon, but something you should definitely work on if you plan on hanging around places like these (or ever becoming a famous developer).
rocknlouie
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »

I come from a family of savages that yell at each other. By thicker skin, I simply meant hes not going to make me cry or feel bad about making a shitty game. I blow up over everything, and quite enjoy yelling and arguing.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2014, 02:48:51 AM »

wtf is going on here ppl pls

- you can kill dinos
In no world is this a positive thing. .__.

quite enjoy yelling and arguing.
Most people don't, so don't.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:56:02 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

anikki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:04 AM »

I've made a resource based city builder for the compo. Kept working on it these past days. Its still an alpha/compo game obviously.

It can be played in a browser: Game Launcher Website

Tell me what you think.

Latest game: First of Many. (LD31 compo)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2014, 05:54:59 AM »

Played and rated some of the games in this thread now. I'll continue from time to time throughout the rating period. No rush. Plenty o' time.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »

Pretty cool entries, people. Playing and rating every game I found here and I still don't finish xD

Btw, if some of you still didn't played mine, here's the entry:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=10863

I wait your constructive comments Smiley

FREAKNARF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »

Hi everyone Smiley
I did not spend so much time on previous posts here but from what I saw it seemed quite hot...
Anyway, i have my own LDJAM entry too ! I randomly called it DEATHMETALSLUG , I try to promote a bit, at least to have feedbacks elsewhere than on LD site. It might be important to me as i have bigger plans based on what has been made for now.

Here is the link :

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=46874

I'm working on new stuff/decent graphics/jam version bugs since and i'll try to release something really nice with the original concept at the start of the year. So if everybody think it's useless, i may look at my work from another perspective. For now I try to collect recurent (or not) things that don't make it really a good game but just a little prototype, to change it in upcoming versions. I do agree with the comments on LD (i mean at least about my game), and some comments even makes me proud, but maybe players here are a bit more direct or exigent so tell me what you think about my game if you have heart and time to give a try. If so,please avoid Java (GJ quicklaunch) version, try to download it instead.Too many troubles... This was made with GMS, and it's not HTML5!

Windows only sorry Sad

Sadistic players are welcome. I can be a Sadist too sometimes. Here's an ugly gif representing what you may expect :

Cheers, and enjoy!Hope you'll like it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:29:10 PM by FREAKNARF » Logged

K
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:25 AM »

Looks like results are up.

My entry scored 140th overall.  I guess that's good?  I was really hoping for top 100 though, and falling short is disapointing.  Maybe I needed more votes?  Maybe sound is a higher priority than I put it on my list?

Anyways, here's a link to my game:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=45321

Congrats to Managore for taking 1st in the compo.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:19 AM »

The game that won top audio for the jam is good and all, but its... not that good. Especially considering a lot of the sfx are just plain bad?

I feel like there were so many games with great sound and music that should have won that.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2014, 06:00:43 AM »

My game was shit and I got a shit score. I think I have a problem with game jams, I never seem to make anything nice...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »

Link you game, Imp. I don't remember which one it was.

Overall I'm happy with my scores. Definitely shot myself in the foot by making a multiplayer only game.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic