Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:31:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tixel v0.56 (ALPHA) + Tixel Library V1.0 (Use Tixel images in your games)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Tixel v0.56 (ALPHA) + Tixel Library V1.0 (Use Tixel images in your games)  (Read 16449 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »

Here's one of the images I made that I have just enlarged. It is anti-aliased, although not as much as could be used:

It is not vector based, the shapes are bitmaps. That is why I need a layer of code on top of the basic tools to deal with triangle based lines, etc..

I can see why a full vector shape approach would be much more powerful, but that is beyond the scope of my abilities at the moment. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:11 AM »

Maybe you are right Lee, perhaps it would be better to try to use a pure vector based approach. It would involve gutting the engine and rewriting most of the code though. Perhaps for a future version!!
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2015, 05:20:32 PM »

Ah, I see if it's all bitmap based with a graphics library interface then I can see how doing vector stuff would be a lot more complex. I wasn't meaning to push too hard with the vector stuff, just trying to show that it isn't necessarily as complex as you may have thought.

How are you enlarging and AA-ing stuff then?
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »

The original tiles are 64 x 64. Then as a one off I shrink the tiles in software with bilinear filtering and save them out as data files for each size. It makes it easy for me to add or change tiles with a normal paint program.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:58 AM »

Hmmm, for vector-like results from raster sources maybe you could do something interesting with signed distance fields as used for real-time rendering of scalable fonts.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2015, 05:42:05 AM »

Funnily enough, I've read that article before. Very clever! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2015, 01:45:37 AM »

Version 0.52 (Alpha):
--
* Fixed error where Tixel layer under mouse cursor was being incorrectly read when the camera was scrolled
* Stopped shape, orientation and pattern selections being made accidentally when scrolling the screen with the middle mouse button
* Added empty and filled box tool
* Added 2 smooth line variants for manual drawing of horizontal or vertical lines
* Added 3 types of automatic image area smoothing (favour darks, balanced and favour lights). Balanced produces the best results but tends to be harder to edit afterwards
* Redrawn icons
--

Please have a go and see if the new tools make things easier. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »

Version 0.53 (Alpha):
--
* Fixed an undo related bug when the image was 1024 pixels in width or height
* Many improvements to the Balanced image smoothing!
--

I ran a brilliant mockup of Arne's (one of my favourite artists) through the new Automatic smoothing:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2015, 01:38:05 AM »

I'm thinking of reverting back to 256 palette based colours. I wanted to have in the large colour palette to make it easy to select colours when drawing from scratch (which works), but I don't like how the colours change when an image is loaded into the editor.

I think it will be mostly used to edit existing graphics so I don't need to worry so much about selecting new colours.

Any thoughts?
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »

TBH, I've not really had much chance to play with this lately, however I love the look of your Ghosts 'n' Goblins mockup
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »

Thanks, but it's arne's work. I just ran it through the program as I also like it a lot and it has some nice curved areas to work with. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »

I'm in the middle of changing the editor (and engine) to a palette based approach. A lot of work, but will make for accurate colours when importing images.

It also means moving Tixel to more of an editor of existing bitmap graphics rather than being more like a paint program.
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2015, 02:10:12 AM »

did this paper http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kopf/pixelart/paper/pixel.pdf show up in this thread?

Your results remind me of this work.

Axez, Grant Ed.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:27 AM »

Yes I've seen this before, it's not the same approach as what is used in Tixel but it's still interesting! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:38 AM »

Here is how Tixel looks at the moment. As you can see I've changed the interface quite a bit and streamlined it (you now switch between shapes and patterns). It now works with palette based 256 colour images (although you can load true colour images as well as long as they don't have more than 256 colours).

A bit more to do with converting it all for 256 colour palettes though..
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »

Version 0.54 (Alpha)
--
* Changed the program to a palette based 256 colours approach. This means less colours available (and you can't edit them except in a paint program), but accurate colours and more suitable for editing
* Added a new default palette
* Streamlined the interface to work with a smaller palette: Palette area is smaller, changed the shape attributes and pattern attributes display into a toggle between the two types. Also removed the displays showing all orientations of shapes and patterns as whilst pretty they weren't really needed.
* Added Right Click on the New Image icon now restores default palette
* Some bug fixes
--

(Any old Tixel files will no longer load, but I don't think anyone has used this seriously anyway..)
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »

I downloaded this today to try it out, but whenever I save tixel files as a png the result is a blacked-out canvas.  I'm assuming this is the only way to change the size of shapes -- saving the tixel file under a certain scale and then importing it.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »

Hmm.. do you have the tixel file you are trying to save as a PNG so I can have a look? The normal editor workspace when you start the program is saved as 'editor.tixi'

With regards to changing the size of shapes, you can alter the zoom factor when you are editing. Is this what you meant?
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »

Got an error saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)." Shame, as I was looking forward to trying it out, even though it's unlikely I'd use anything made with it in one of my games.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »

Did you unzip everything before running it? It uses SDL so I thought it would work ok on most PC's.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic