Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:15:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tips for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet inspired art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tips for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet inspired art  (Read 821 times)
Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:21 AM »

Hello, TIGForums. I'm mainly a pixel guy. I love pixel art to death, I've learned it's strengths and limitations, but sometimes it is just unsuitable. I have a really simple game idea lately, and it involes a lot of sprite rotations, maybe even scaling/zooming, but won't need much details. So I decided to give vector art a shot.

I generally don't like simplistic vector-styled games, but recently I played Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and was blown away. It is on the most visually appealing games I've played in a while. So I want to try and borrow this style. As of graphics, I'll mostly need weird spaceships or alien creatures (with a lot of tentacles of course), so that it will be hard to do "wrong" or unrealistic. I'm thinking of black silhouettes with occasional small patches of color, and simple blurred colored backgrounds.

The thing is I have little to no experience with vectors. Just some basic Corel Draw skills back in university several years ago. So my question is for people who have experience for vector art and animations for games. What do I need to learn to start with vector sprites and animation? Should I start learning Adobe Illustrator + After Effects and what will the basic workflow look like? Since I'm using Game Maker: Studio, I imagine it like this:

1) spriting in Illustrator
2) animating the sprite in After Effects
3) getting a gif
4) importing it to Game Maker

Does that sound ok/wrong? I don't really need to overcomplicate things and make huge zooming range. Will rasterizing sprites into needed resolution work?

I'll also very much appresiate some general learning directions for beginners at vector art as well. Thank you.

UPDATE: Oh, I just learned, that GM:S actually supports vector sprites in SWF format now. Sadly I haven't had experience with this yet.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:42:43 AM by Phoenix849 » Logged

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic