Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:50:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioAnybody doing rock soundtracks?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anybody doing rock soundtracks?  (Read 1011 times)
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »

I see a lot of you guys on here posting your portfolios and stuff, and it seems like many of you are doing electronic music. Do any of you guys do rock/punk/metal style music, or have you worked on a game where you made the soundtrack in such a genre?

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

I write a fair amount of rock/punk/metal, but I haven't found too many games lately that use it.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »

Most of the rock stuff I write is WIP garbage that doesn't go anywhere near my soundcloud account. I had the opportunity to write some western rock for a game, but it never saw the light, unfortunately.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »

I write a fair amount of rock/punk/metal, but I haven't found too many games lately that use it.

I can understand that. Music in games helps craft the atmosphere, and rock probably doesn't fit with that of many games, but I figured there would at least be a fair amount of people who would at least have a background in making rock music. I look through a lot of soundclouds of people here, and 99% of what I see is sythesizers and drum loops. Not to demean such music; I believe I understand why it's so common, and most of you guys sound awesome. I just thought it would be cool to see more guitars and stuff.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »

Some guitarist just posted this thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44877.msg1088445#new

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »

I did a metal tune a while back for a freeware game that's yet to be released called Dudebro II. That assignment ("do a metal tune") affected so much of my early days learning how to produce. (also the title is a reference to my favorite metal game soundtrack)

And right now I'm working on an imitation riot grrrl tune for another game. Working on making it as noisy as I can. :D

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »

I figured there would at least be a fair amount of people who would at least have a background in making rock music. I look through a lot of soundclouds of people here, and 99% of what I see is sythesizers and drum loops.

Behold, my first (unfinished) EP : https://soundcloud.com/asavary/sets/wip-ep
It's black/doom metal.

Even though I had piano lessons first, I began recording musical ideas when I got a guitar, and wrote my first songs for my high school metalcore band.

But yeah, nobody's ever approached me for a metal soundtrack. Maybe someday.
It's a shame, too, because I really think there could be some interesting games with metal in them that aren't just catering to the niche (à la Brütal Legend - it was a cool game though).

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

I don't do full blown rock/metal soundtracks but I have incorporated a lot of it into soundtracks, particularly in boss tracks.

Blitzwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

Maybe people think it got a bit out-of-fashion but I think rock and metal genres are still great. Oh the old guitar solos hehe  Hand Metal Left

What do you think of this one I made: https://soundcloud.com/blitzwood/8metalegypt ?

Or maybe this could fit the genre of orchestra+rock?: https://soundcloud.com/blitzwood/2-a-new-world-corrected
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

This guy is currently writing a heavy metal/shmup soundtrack.

May want to check him out.

Ryuno

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

What is the definition of Rock, anyways? I know nothing of genres. For example, is the Megaman 2 soundtrack Rock or Electronic or some other genre, even though it's a chiptune? Or is rock defined by instruments? I'm confused.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »

Wow this got a lot of replies in such a short time! Lots more people with diverse genres than I expected!

This guy is currently writing a heavy metal/shmup soundtrack.

May want to check him out.

Ryuno

This guy's stuff sounds awesome. I think that first track would be perfect for like a turn-based RPG boss battle.

What is the definition of Rock, anyways? I know nothing of genres. For example, is the Megaman 2 soundtrack Rock or Electronic or some other genre, even though it's a chiptune? Or is rock defined by instruments? I'm confused.

I haven't heard all of Megaman 2's soundtrack, but I consider what I have heard to be chiptune. Maybe I'm just being a snob, but I consider rock to require an emphasis on guitar, bass guitar, and drums. It's hard for me to keep track of, and distinguish, many genres these days. Metal and EDM have about a million subgenres between them.

"That's dubstep!"
"No it's not; it's complextro with elements of brostep and glitch, you idiot!"

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic