Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:18:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow TIGS changed my life...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How TIGS changed my life...  (Read 1355 times)
JWK5
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:47 AM »

It took a while to decide whether I wanted to come back or not, but overall I gained a lot of unexpected but very necessary insight here at TIGS (albeit the hard way) so it is worth taking it for another spin. I don't know if I've pissed a lot of people off or just earned eye rolling for my views at the time of my last departure here, but either way I cant really take any of it back nor would I if I could but hopefully we all can at least move past it (at the very least I will). The biggest question is not why did I leave, that was obvious, but why would I return?

Shortly after the blowout here I kind of just went through a few days of meltdown and did some research, mostly on how I was feeling. Up until that point I'd been diagnosed with Bipolar but it didn't seem to account for a lot of what I was going through, I'd never really had issues of "mania" as described with bipolar so I started to have doubts about the diagnosis. After some research and doctor visits I was given a new diagnosis: borderline personality disorder. Some of the symptoms are as follows:

Quote from: Borderline Personality Disorder
*Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

*A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

*Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self

*Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

*Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

*Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

*Chronic feelings of emptiness

*Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

*Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms

Though a lot of the comments said about me in the hidden forums carried some sting and were a bitter pill to swallow, they did force me to go back and not only read through my comments but examine my behavior more closely. The new diagnosis I was given really started to make sense in the context of it all and I may never have thought to move forward with being re-evaluated had things not turned out the way they did.

Having a new diagnosis doesn't mean I magically become somebody new, but it at least helps me understand where some of the intense and often overwhelming feelings are probably coming from and better prepare for them. For example, one key facet is that feelings of rejection or exclusion can often cause things that may not directly be  about me to feel like they are. It made discussions about white privilege, sexism, etc. very difficult because it was hard to get past the feelings that people would be dismissive because I am white, male, etc. which ended up throwing me into a fit of extreme defensiveness. This sort of back-to-the-wall feeling didn't just occur here, but all throughout my life. It was taking a toll on me, my self esteem, and my overall ability to deal with life.

I feel a huge weight lifted off me in light of all this and I am not sure that things would have worked out this way had I not had the experiences here I did. I don't know what anyone's opinion is of me here anymore, nor can I really do a whole lot about them, but regardless to everyone here thank you for giving me a much needed step in the right direction (whether you intended to be helpful or not). With Ludum Dare coming up I've decided to try my hand at it this year and I felt it would be a good time to rejoin the community. I found a lot of comfort in being helpful around here so hopefully this time around, armed with a better mindset, I can stay focused on the better aspects.

I highly recommend anyone here going through the motions of mental chaos to read through their own posts here and elsewhere, you can gain some real insight taking a hard honest look at your own behavior. If anything, you might see aspects you wish to change. Has any of you had your time at TIGS change your life in a significant way? If so , let's hear it!

P.S. As a side note I also discovered that I am dyslexic, which not only makes so much sense why I struggled wit certain things in school but also why programming is such a mental battle for me. I've been able to find a few coping strategies that has made writing code go much smoother for me.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »

Excellent news with which to start the day.

Welcome back, JWK. Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the forums!
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »

Legitimately cool story. It's always good to be able to look at yourself from a new perspective and realize your motives might be different from what you thought them to be.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »

While I generally avoid the hidden foramz, it's nice to see you again, JWK5.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »

Hey man, wassup?

I read around you were quite artistic. Care to show some stuff for those of us who don't know your history?

Yeah.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »

i dont think that has anything to do with why people got annoyed with you.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
JWK5
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »

Excellent news with which to start the day.

Welcome back, JWK. Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the forums!
While I generally avoid the hidden foramz, it's nice to see you again, JWK5.
Thanks! It's good to be back!

Legitimately cool story. It's always good to be able to look at yourself from a new perspective and realize your motives might be different from what you thought them to be.
It's been both disorienting and disappointing to realize that my motives most definitely were different than what I believed they were but at the same time it feels good to see beyond them, at least to some degree.

Hey man, wassup?

I read around you were quite artistic. Care to show some stuff for those of us who don't know your history?
I plan on getting much more active around here after Ludum Dare, especially in the art department, but in the meantime between now and then I am brushing up on Game Maker Studio and prepping myself for LD.

i dont think that has anything to do with why people got annoyed with you.
My attitude sucked, my opinions were getting overwhelmingly defensive and ignorantly insensitive to the point I didn't even know why or what I was arguing anymore yet I carried on because my stubbornness far outweighed my common sense. I felt shitty and I acted shitty. It is what it is and I can see how people might have been or might still be annoyed by that.

With that out of the way, the point of my initial post was not to justify myself for any past behavior, what is done is done and I can't take it back. The point was that in light of everything and as a result of my time here at TIGS I was able to better understand the condition and circumstances I have lived with my whole life that have been very destructive and ruining for me. I am thankful for the opportunity I gained here. The symptoms are not something I am entirely past or entirely in control of, but at least by understanding them a little better allows me more of a chance to "cut them off at the pass", so to speak. I went through a very low point in life, some of which spilled out on to TIGS, but I feel I am bouncing back and I wanted to share that and give thanks.

I don't blame anyone for still being annoyed with me if they are, but that is not really my concern here at this point and I can't really do a whole lot about it anyways. I am just here again to contribute, and hopefully for most that will be adequate enough.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »

So what exactly happened? You had a few arguments got pissed off and left while people threw tomatoes at you? If I were you I would avoid taking part in discussions which piss me off from now on. It sounds promising though that you appear to be humble and show repentance. I hope you and other forum members will enjoy your return, even though I don't know you at all. Good luck, man.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

IDK exactly what happened here but FWIW I had some of your old color pallet posts bookmarked, it was around when I started taking color choices seriously. I hope you remain in good health!

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:02:20 AM »

Ugh. My ex girlfriend has BPD. Just, hold on tight, try to be calm as often as possible and never forget to honestly thank people who stuck with you through your episodes. In my girlfriend's case, I was a weak person that left Sad

JWK5
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »

So what exactly happened? You had a few arguments got pissed off and left while people threw tomatoes at you? If I were you I would avoid taking part in discussions which piss me off from now on. It sounds promising though that you appear to be humble and show repentance. I hope you and other forum members will enjoy your return, even though I don't know you at all. Good luck, man.
You ever get so heated in arguments that you no longer really have a point anymore you are just trying to "win" so you just keep pouring on the heat until you boil over? That about sums it up. Not my finest moment but not my last moment so all I can do is just learn and move forward.

IDK exactly what happened here but FWIW I had some of your old color pallet posts bookmarked, it was around when I started taking color choices seriously. I hope you remain in good health!
Yeah, after LD I will get back to sharing my ideas on creativity again. It is something I really enjoyed doing and for the most part it is something that only results in positive outcomes. It's good for the soul.

Ugh. My ex girlfriend has BPD. Just, hold on tight, try to be calm as often as possible and never forget to honestly thank people who stuck with you through your episodes. In my girlfriend's case, I was a weak person that left Sad
Doesn't make you a weak person, you are human and you can only handle so much. I know others close to me who suffer from BPD, so I have the inside-out and outside-in perspective and I can safely say it can be pretty rough either direction you are coming from. Not everyone is equipped to deal with it (be it those with the condition or those without). 

For those with it you are essentially playing a multiplayer game with a shit ton of bugs and it can be very difficult to determine what was error on your part and what was the game just glitching out on you. It is even more difficult for the players around you to determine this, and most will be oblivious to it. You have to do a lot of research and a lot of personal trial and error to figure out what the bugs are and learn how to play effectively despite them.

Hopefully being open about it all will help others who may be having similar problems (be it BPD or just plain stubbornness). Trying to pretend it is not a problem and acting like nothing ever happened helps no one, especially myself.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »

A friend once said "diagnosis is just a kind of behavior after it surpasses social norms". I'm not sure I translated it very well, but the point is that we're all insane in one way or another.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic