Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:35:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Vector graphics art style capabilities
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vector graphics art style capabilities  (Read 1481 times)
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »

Good evening,

I am not sure how to phrase it, but is it possible to create "serious" looking vector graphics?
Have been googling for some time now, and the only things i find are funny looking and in general, remind me of Happy Tree Friends.

I think more appropriate question would be, is it possible to create something scary or freaky with vector art, that could be shown only at late night scary shows and it would look scary?
ghoulkid86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »

Yeah so.. vector graphics isn't actually an art style. It's a way of doing infinitely scalable graphics (as opposed to raster graphics).
Basically you can create whatever you want with vector graphics - cute or scary..

I'm not going to look for examples but they're out there.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »

Computer enhanced art often lends a particular workflow. So I think your problem is just that you have a hard time finding work by artists who'll go above and beyond what the software makes easy.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 02:51:38 AM »

The thing about vectors is that most of the time what you should aim for are synthetic shapes. To answer your question: yes it is possible. Vectors often look happy and funny because people suck at creating them.

If you want horror you must check out Miles Tsang, he even has videos on how he did his screen printed posters.

Also Shepard Fairey is a good example of serious vector:

To find good vectors you need to search for specific artists as the general public only creates MLP fan art. The truth is you can create literally ANYTHING with vectors, you just have to know what you're doing.

sparkling vinegar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »

Hello,

We made this game only with vectors:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39841

Have a try it's free !!!

DEAD END - out on iOS Android & WP8
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

Thanks for the examples!
Kenney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »

Yep it's entirely possible, take a look at a few Flash based horror games. Flash games mostly use vector graphics (since it's vector based), and there are quite a few horror titles available.

Here are some examples:

(The Last Stand)

(Sonny)

sparkling vinegar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »

Hey I just discovered this topic and I wrote a post mortem about our game Dead End who's made entirely with Vector graphics.

The post mortem is here

DEAD END - out on iOS Android & WP8
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic