Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:18:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow much copies does an average Greenlit title sell?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How much copies does an average Greenlit title sell?  (Read 1725 times)
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:29:32 AM »

I was just wondering how much copies does an average greenlit title sell? No Binding of Isaac or stuff as popular or hyped up. Just a regular game, which gets a bit of attention somewhere etc.

qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »

Unfortunately, you're not going to get a straight answer on this because its going to vary from developer to developer (from game to game) and most of this information is kept very quiet by indies with the exception of wild success. Why? Because no one is embarrassed to move a hundred thousand copies.

The simple fact is that games will sell on Steam. They will make money. Even bad games. And games that dont sell well at launch on Steam will probably sell more copies during Steam sales. The organic base on Steam is just too huge and the perks of leveling up profiles, trading cards, badges etc means even if your game is a joke, people will still buy it because trading cards...

That being said, if you go into this thinking that getting onto Steam means you're officially going to be rich (or even self-supporting), that isn't always the case. But you will sell games on Steam. More than anywhere else (Gog, Humble, Desura etc) combined. The question is will you make a few thousand dollars or a few hundred thousand. That depends on what you're selling.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »

For an interesting look at Super Win The Game (including sales figures), read this!
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:15:02 AM »

I would guess the average to be around US$50k
Source: Many of my friends have sold greenlit games, and I have too

Obviously that's all going to scale based on the scope and production quality of the game.
All the games I'm talking about were made by either individuals or very small teams

An 'app' type game should probably expect much less and a large-team-fancy-graphics type game should expect higher

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »

50k? Wow. My game (and every of my colleagues' games) did sell ~1k copies, most of it in >50% discounts.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:59 AM »

50k? Wow. My game (and every of my colleagues' games) did sell ~1k copies, most of it in >50% discounts.

Sorry, I meant dollars, not copies

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic