Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:33:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSerious Sams Bogus Detour
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Serious Sams Bogus Detour  (Read 22399 times)
Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »

Ok, so I just made a little test, to see how the game would be with sounds, how it would repeat and such, all sounds and effects are of course temporary, they were also added in Premiere, since we don't have a sound engine yet =)

It's pretty clear that shooting with the pistol sounds very repetitive, adding a reload function will probably help out, it will also make the gun feel better in game.

In the video, one can also see how the controls differ from Hammerwatch, this is a pure twin stick shooter OR, as in this case, mouse controlled movement. See how the cursor controls where the player aims and where the bullet lands.

for a 3/4 view game:
  1 lonely sprite, must be a roguelike.
  2 sided sprite, passable
  4 sided sprite, good.
  8 sided sprite, Great!

But how many sides does that red guy have?! It looks like he might be the extremely rare 16 sided sprite?!
Also love the water. The no obvious tiles is a step above.

And a question you may or may not be able to answer, will the gameplay be significantly different from hammerwatch?

Well, that red guy is actually 8, it's just that he was drawn, eh, a bit to biased towards the S, SW and SE angle... I guess.

And, I think I can give a pretty accurate answer, even if the development's in such a early stage. All games like Hammerwatch AND this one share very similar core mechanics, you can go back to a lot of older games, just look at Gauntlet or Alien Breed for example. You pretty much run around and shoot until you complete the game, then there's variations that extends and makes the experience richer.

The biggest differences between this and Hammerwatch (if you exclude graphics) are that this game uses tons of weapons as pickups instead of having pre-selected unlockable skills that were defined per class. Instead of using money to buy upgrades for your skills, you now gain experience from killing and can when you gain a level, choose between a few upgrades, perks, like in Call of Duty.

So, if you like, the game's not that different in it's core, but then again, I'm not sure any games like these really are that different!

Quick tip re: the sound stuff: If you're unable to record/fit in more sound effects then it's a good idea to randomise the pitch of the gunshots between +/- 1 semitone. Gives you a bit more variation without any extra recording needed!

The semitone's a general guide, you can go further if you'd like but it might start to sound a bit odd ha ha. Looking good though :D!

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

Something new from the makers of Hammerwatch! I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm in! and very interested to see what you come up with! Smiley I will be lurking your thread. Cool

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 03:57:35 AM »

Looking good, much like Hammerwatch.

But I too am interested how you got the Serious Sam (and all it's iconic creatures)?
Don't tell me it's actually "Serious Sams" as oppose to "Serious Sam's" or "Serious Sam".  Tongue
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 04:09:11 AM »

Don't tell me it's actually "Serious Sams" as oppose to "Serious Sam's" or "Serious Sam".  Tongue

Co-op confirmed!

MyFault
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »

So will this play similar to Sensible Software's Amiga classic, Cannon Fodder? If so, I will take 12 please  Gentleman

Seriously though, some really gorgeous work, kudos to you and your team.
sec32
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 05:40:09 AM »

Looks gorgeous. But most of all: congrats on the engine. Nice to see there's still people building an engine themselves. It's time consuming, and a lot of times not the best decision budget-wise, but you'll have everything exactly the way you want it to.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 08:24:33 AM »

Ok, so here's an update, first we have a very unfinished e1m2 level, with no proper name yet, it's huge, like 3500 and about 3 MB
http://zfight.com/misc/images/ssbd/2015/jan/e1m2.png

Here's my cool SciFi door, for the outside scifi military base theme, that the space orcs will camp out in and around

Serious sam has a very handy information system called Netrisca, this is version 2.d

Then we have some cool monsters =)

The Aludran Reptiloid, it's gonna shoot some homing fireball or whatever, I think I will feature it as boss in the third episode of the game, I'm not sure yet.

And here's a work in progress Arachnoid, boss for the first episode, the desert one.

Spiders =)

With spawn animation, just like

Looks gorgeous. But most of all: congrats on the engine. Nice to see there's still people building an engine themselves. It's time consuming, and a lot of times not the best decision budget-wise, but you'll have everything exactly the way you want it to.

It's really nice to have your own editor/engine and work back to back like this, myran adds features and I can just do an svn-update and start testing his things while I'm in the editor or the game. This engine/editor feels so much better already than Hammerwatch, even though it's not even close to done, all the current features of it feels better.

Here's some of the new editor features, dockable windows and some more console commands. It's very attractive to just move all panels to the other screen and have a large clean workspace.

This is a new system from HW1, instead of just placing an item, if you keep RMB pressed, you can cycle through units using Q/E, a very handy preview system and makes it much easier to find similar parts or just preview.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »

We just sent a build to Croteam, so they can see our current progress, like a slice of it, a few enemies and weapons. I'm gonna record some gameplay and upload, but here's a sneak of our new weapon, it work exactly like it does in that other game.

Huge gif incoming.

EyeballKid
Level 0

Recovering games programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:58 AM »

So will this play similar to Sensible Software's Amiga classic, Cannon Fodder? If so, I will take 12 please  Gentleman

I was thinking more along the lines of the The Chaos Engine (Bitmap Brothers), myself ;- )

It looks absolutely lovely and fun!

Play Zig. It's a game where you shoot stuff. Devlog.

After the Light. It's also a game where you shoot stuff.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 03:26:28 AM »

It's annoying that you can't embed youtube links here, why is that anyway?

Here's a clip of some actuall gameplay with the Shotgun, Flak and Tommy Gun =)

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 04:31:04 AM »

Looki looki, a little turtle

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »

This theme is fairly new, it's the greek theme, lush with a lot of grass and bright buildings.

We have also added outlines to enemies and players hiding behind other sprites, we will also do this with items in the future, the system isn't done yet.

Our current line of weapons, except for the starting akimbo pistols.
There will of course be several more weapons =)

Random animation, here seen on the trees. Will have this on other things, like bushes and such later on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:14:06 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Tryzna
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »

Well, looks fantastic, rotating items and especialy moving palm trees & water as some sense of "livng" environment is what i missed most in Hammerwatch, glad to see it ll be probably fixed in your next title;-)
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »

The green zone is much more appealing visually than the desert! All those colors make an interesting scene. The trees look really nice too.

CyangmouArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »

Drawing inspiration from something is cool, that's something every artist does, it's ok and pushes the art medium. We all have stuff we got inspired from and some of us even inspire other people.

However one always should treat the sources he got inspiration from with the highest possible form of respect, usually that happens through asking or at least naming the source material.

What's not ok is taking work, not for practice reasons, but to alter it consciously in order to use it as your own.
This is an artistical no-go and is called plagiarism.

While as artist I highly recommend to copy stuff in order to learn tricks, plagiarism is something else.

I can recognize my style of proportion choice, lighting and and animation out of hundreds of images.
If it comes to your tommygun, I see a lot of my choices in it, but I also can see that those choices made for that particular sprite aren't consistently visible in all of your work.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:25:31 AM by CyangmouArt » Logged

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »

Although definitely similar, they look pretty different to me, but then again I'm no pixel expert.

Hipshot, what say you?!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »

I notice that main character, ennemies have 8 directions, while the new rotating weapons have 12 directions.
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »

I'm a dev for Serious Sam, but to me it's pretty obvious those are different sprites. They're even at a slightly different angle. We use 16 directions for the spinning weapons, some blood effects and projectiles, the weapons looked a bit too choppy when we just did 8 dirs, so we redid them in 3d to render more smooth animations. I guess it's because they were made in 3d that Cyangmou didn't think they were consistent with the other sprites.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »

They look utterly different to me.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 12:05:11 PM »

Okay, so you added a guide on how to make your tommy gun look more like ours, but do you really think we did that? They're both tommy guns, so of course they are going to look similar, but even with your changes they're not the same. Doesn't it seem more likely that we just have two games with similar styles and weapons, and our sprite just came out similar to yours rather than us stealing it from you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic