Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:10:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDOS style adventure game: Destiny of a Sorcerer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DOS style adventure game: Destiny of a Sorcerer  (Read 2041 times)
brainskis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:41 AM »

I am very excited to announce that Destiny of a Sorcerer will be released for Android phones in the next few days. I have uploaded a trailer in the meantime. I hope you like it Smiley

Previous Update:

Work is well underway for a new mobile / tablet adventure game based on the old-school DOS text graphics engine.

Here are some images of the work done so far:

A haunted house in a remote village requires the help of our miniature hero:

A screen grab of part of the overworld map:

Every good RPG needs a pub - customers coming soon:

Back to the haunted house for some platforming action:

The gates of CastleTown:

A fantasy world awaits:

A barn in the first village:

Our hero's transport:

About the game:
Destiny of a Sorcerer (DOS) is a role playing adventure hybrid with side-on action areas.

The mood of the game is jovial: there are lots of silly characters, cliche environments (snowfields, fire mountains, haunted house, castles, villages, a large medieval overworld, and even a distant space station over-head). The game will feel a little like Earthbound (SNES game from the mid-nineties) but there is a gallant, serious feel about the protagonist's mission.

Our hero is an apprentice sorcerer who has set out on a quest to complete his training and become a fully-fledged wizard. His voyage is cut short very early on, however. The game starts with the hero's ship/boat being out of action, and him having to visit a nearby village to look for parts to repair his ship. The village elder agrees to help our hero if he succeeds in a quest.  

On completing this 1st quest, word immediately spreads through the land that a strange spacestation has appeared overhead near the 1st village. Our hero rushes to see it. A sense of foreboding is felt through-out the world. This tees the game up for the remaining 5 quests of the game to be completed, which – unbeknownst to our hero – will lead to a final showdown in the stars against an unknown nemesis with designs to destroy the world.

Feedback welcome!
Please share your thoughts on how you think this game is shaping up. Ideas on other in-game regions to explore and story elements are also welcome. I am collaborating with a really good team on this but I am still looking for an illustrator to help with the game's comic-book inspired story, website, and other marketing. Please get in touch if you're interested.

The level editor
DOS is a sophisticated game beneath the simple graphical veneer. A bespoke game creation tool has been created to help speed along the development of the main game itself. This editor allows the game world and events to be added, and for character sprites and animations to be created. This tool is a nice ANSI text graphics editor in its own right, and very friendly for those who are more artistic than technically savvy. Take a look:

I would be interested in making the editor available to the community to work on designing levels for DOS. I am not expecting this to be paid work, at this stage, but if anyone serious about doing so we can certainly talk.

Thanks for reading and please do offer feedback! You may also wish to check out another game I released recently on Android: Veritas: Light Conquers Darkness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUb9kJE7eQ4
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:35:32 AM by brainskis » Logged
JohnB
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »

An Earthbound feel for DOS? Looking forward to it! Love to check out the editor whenever you do a public release, too. Brings me back to the days of ZZT.

What kind of support for conversations is there? That C guy on the ship's got some stories to tell.

I'm a writer. I write words for games. Example: Bitcoin Billionaire, Freaking Meatbags.
brainskis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »

Thanks JohnB. If you're interested in using the editor and having a go at creating some scenes - please PM me... I am looking for help creating new maps and environments.

There will be a lot of dialog in this game. What you are looking at is the captain and his first mate taking a break while our Apprentice sorcerer goes on a mission to find a sewing kit to repair a damaged sail. Then, perhaps, they can continue their voyage. Lots of silly dialog is being written, and those two characters are particularly lazy and talkative Smiley
brainskis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:36:56 AM »

New trailer added to first post.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic