Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:26:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Critique a bunny closeup LOD harsh criticism is welcome
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique a bunny closeup LOD harsh criticism is welcome  (Read 1173 times)
Pfotegeist
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »

I want to know what everyone willing to comment thinks about the amount of detail.

This is the normal scale. The level of detail is minimal at this point.

Maybe this close up you can't tell it's a bunny. Let me know.

Here I'm questioning the effort I put in. I drew one version before, and the difference was noticeable, so it's likely this one is still very amateur looking.

Click for a bigger version.

Does the face look flat? Flat details are a nuisance.
Do the dark purple lines around the frame of his head and neck betray an otherwise soft voluminous flow?
Does it seem overall lazy? Like I drew something small in a vector program and blew it up.

Any other suggestions? I prefer harsh criticism. Try to limit the number of major problems to three, even if you can see an endless number. I'll be able to keep track that way.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »

Details are just invisible at the normal scale, so what's the point? And it looks like it has no eye or is a medium.

Otherwise it's a regular bunny with a larger head.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »

Why does it have quotation marks on its face?

Pfotegeist
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »

Torchkas. I had the idea to add nose quotes for this bunny instead of the natural kind.

s-spooky
The detail is off when it gets small enough. As long as he looks like a real bunny that sounds awesome.

I'll pay more attention to his eye. It must look pretty strange.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:18:06 AM »

Is there any reason for the close up though?

Pfotegeist
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

Is there any reason for the close up though?

The immediate reason is a closeup makes a character more endearing. In my game ideas you play as the bunny, or it's more like you'll be ordering him around.

I also want to keep the possibility open that a closeup would lead to greater immersion. The level of detail needs to be comparable to when it's zoomed out to maintain immersion. It's also necessary to lower detail when zoomed out so smaller objects weigh less on a scene. So you don't stare at every single thing.

This is still more of an idea, I don't know if I have the appropriate LOD (level of detail) expected for a closeup here yet.

I made a couple of changes now.

Anyone who'd like to help. Please tell me what you think. Any criticism is helpful, even if it sounds a bit offensive, remember to respect the forum rules anyway (you can quote me on that). Try to keep it to 3 items at a time at most, or I might not keep track.
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »

I think the biggest issue is the areas where there are relatively solid colors that aren't white have sharp edges.

The non-closeup looks great, though.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »

You probably need to just look at real close ups of rabbits, the quotation marks definitely need to be replaced with proper whiskers. The eye looks better now at least.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »

Jono
Yes. I like your suggestion.
Actually I haven't found an appropriate way to draw whiskers. But I'll keep trying.

I only try to take a little at a time from photos.

Translocator
Good point. There's definitely room for improvement. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic