Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:17:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSecured Funding for My Game. What now?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Secured Funding for My Game. What now?  (Read 2891 times)
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »

Wow, I just read it all the thread. It's very hard to decide this kind of choices because it always changes the life of one. And it's very shocking to lose those kind of opportunities, but let's face the truth. We always need the backup.

I think that your choice is correct because is the most realistic one:

• Your portafolio is your entrance to a future and successful career.
  • You need money to keep your living expenses.
  • Also you said that the programme is shutting down. That could means that the programme is not giving the expected profit.
  • With this choice you can continue to make your game without too much pressure.

I hope for your good luck and good fun Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »

Also you said that the programme is shutting down. That could means that the programme is not giving the expected profit.

I would have got the full £5k funding. They just are closing down because that was their original plan. The EU gave them money to invest and now they've invested it all.

Thanks for the supportive words tho SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

Zogthor
Level 0

Personal Text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »

The gaming industry isn't exactly renowned for it's job stability so it's always smarter to invest in the backup, especially when you're that close to your goal. It hurts now but if you were able to get a funding opportunity before you'll be more likely to get them in the future. And they will come, it will just take time which is once again on your side without the pressure to release by X/X/X date.

At least you can come here and share your woes with us over a virtual beer!  Tears of JoyToast Right

hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »

The gaming industry isn't exactly renowned for it's job stability so it's always smarter to invest in the backup, especially when you're that close to your goal. It hurts now but if you were able to get a funding opportunity before you'll be more likely to get them in the future. And they will come, it will just take time which is once again on your side without the pressure to release by X/X/X date.

In 6 months I'll look back and be thankful that I made the right choice. I've got lots of time in me yet so there's no need to be hasty. When the time is right I'll update this thread and continue from where I left off.

At least you can come here and share your woes with us over a virtual beer!  Tears of JoyToast Right

It has definitely helped Beer!

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

Ah, too bad :/

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »

What does a "portfolio" mean in the context of your job?

Also, sorry man. It sounds like you probably made the right decision, although it's usually not a great idea to value things in terms of how much time you put into them (i.e. it's a sunk cost). In this case, though, it sounds like the portfolio will be helpful to you in the future.

Was there no chance of releasing something and working your job? Maybe work part time until the game is done? Or continue the portfolio somewhere else later on? Or not sleep? Smiley
hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

What does a "portfolio" mean in the context of your job?

Also, sorry man. It sounds like you probably made the right decision, although it's usually not a great idea to value things in terms of how much time you put into them (i.e. it's a sunk cost). In this case, though, it sounds like the portfolio will be helpful to you in the future.

Was there no chance of releasing something and working your job? Maybe work part time until the game is done? Or continue the portfolio somewhere else later on? Or not sleep? Smiley

The portfolio is a requirement to become a lab scientist, to complete it you must do about 30 essays in various scientific areas, be competent in running almost every piece of lab equipment and stuff like that. Its going to take about 6 months of working 2-3 days a week to finish it.

Its a decent undertaking but very worth it because when I eventually do go full time game developer its a great safety net if things don't work out because, it's a job that pays well and there are lots of vacancies coming up constantly. It pays well enough that I could live on part-time salary and still develop games in my time off.

I kind of knew it was the right decision judging by how hard it was to make it :/

I'm already part-time at my day job as a lab assistant. The other part of my week is spent doing the portfolio. Sleep is necessary for my obsolete human body.

I could probably rush a game out that achieved what I aimed for it to do but it'd be such a rush and wouldn't be what I wanted. I will wait for my time to come. Patience is a trait that I have in excess.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:43:08 PM by hydroxy » Logged

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

I sincerely believe this is only for the better. Jumping directly into indie life with little experience is not something I'd recommend, unless you have indies to guide you all the way -= and I mean from A to Z =- . There should be a full guide to becoming an indie Smiley - one of my friends made the jump, estimated his project to take 2 months, 6 months later he was nowhere near completion.

Financially : A game is like a costly affair that doesn't do that much for you until you are sure it's going to work out. No matter how much you love it, and dedicate to it, until the point where it's a business, it won't keep you alive.
Other than that, I can hardly explain the pleasure we experience building our own title, our own story and our own world Smiley .

Having a part time job that covers everything in order for you to build the game in parallel is practically what we do -= even though sometimes we turn it into full time temporary because our projects require that =- , and is what I'd recommend, at least until your first successful game.

hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »

I sincerely believe this is only for the better. Jumping directly into indie life with little experience is not something I'd recommend, unless you have indies to guide you all the way -= and I mean from A to Z =- . There should be a full guide to becoming an indie Smiley - one of my friends made the jump, estimated his project to take 2 months, 6 months later he was nowhere near completion.

Financially : A game is like a costly affair that doesn't do that much for you until you are sure it's going to work out. No matter how much you love it, and dedicate to it, until the point where it's a business, it won't keep you alive.
Other than that, I can hardly explain the pleasure we experience building our own title, our own story and our own world Smiley .

Having a part time job that covers everything in order for you to build the game in parallel is practically what we do -= even though sometimes we turn it into full time temporary because our projects require that =- , and is what I'd recommend, at least until your first successful game.

This is my thinking too. If I go for it now I will be putting myself under a lot of pressure to succeed. While it is possible I would rather do this at my own pace and have good fall-backs in place just incase.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic