Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:52:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKerfuffle
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Kerfuffle  (Read 96879 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:42 AM »

Out of curiosity why image_speed does it require that you don't manually draw your own sprite?

i guess i could use image_speed as the subimg section of draw_sprite_ext but, lets say i wasnt doing that, and i had a draw step, i would have to draw the sprite manually anyway. if you have a draw step you MUST draw the sprite manually or it just doesnt show up.

either way, i dont like using game makers busted ass built in stuff unless i absolutely have to, and i dont like using underscores.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 24, 2015, 06:28:59 AM »

Out of curiosity why image_speed does it require that you don't manually draw your own sprite?

i guess i could use image_speed as the subimg section of draw_sprite_ext but, lets say i wasnt doing that, and i had a draw step, i would have to draw the sprite manually anyway. if you have a draw step you MUST draw the sprite manually or it just doesnt show up.

either way, i dont like using game makers busted ass built in stuff unless i absolutely have to, and i dont like using underscores.

You can code your own image_speed pretty easily as well. It makes sense that if you use the draw event you have to draw the sprite manually. If you are using other code in the draw event it's pretty easy to toss in draw_self as well. I guess GameMaker has a lot of oddities, but I haven't encountered too much actually busted shit. My biggest annoyance is how easy it is for code in events to get overwritten. Most frustrating thing in the world. The game maker world, at least.

Also, love the arts.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: April 24, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »

i DO use my own variable for it. thats my point.

draw self only exists as a drag and drop, which ill never use. and draw_sprite doesnt give me enough control, so i use draw_sprite_ext because its badass.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »

i DO use my own variable for it. thats my point.

draw self only exists as a drag and drop, which ill never use. and draw_sprite doesnt give me enough control, so i use draw_sprite_ext because its badass.

draw_sprite_ext is pretty badass but...

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/drawing/drawing%20sprites%20and%20backgrounds/draw_self.html

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:42 AM »

oh whoops looks like its in studio after all, but not in 8.1 or something. okay but its still missing all of the reasons i use draw sprite ext. being able to change the sprite, without changing the mask, is god like and i will do this forever and ever always.

im not going to start using a bunch of built in game maker bullshit no matter what you guys post so you can save yourself some time and just not do that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:57:35 AM by Rat Casket » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: April 24, 2015, 07:19:47 AM »

To derail the current topic of conversation to address another important topic: Shelmet is the shit.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »

To derail the current topic of conversation to address another important topic: Shelmet is the shit.

she sure is
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:51:53 AM by Rat Casket » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:17 AM »

she sure is

That looks like a dangerous game of rock paper scissors.

Also that helmet bob is fantastic.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 24, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »

I don't think he was trying to convince you to use GM stuff. I kind of was at first, but my main motive for that was to understand why you didn't use it in the first place.

Anyways, I have my own drawOwn function as well and I just call it in every object's draw event through drag and drop, so I'm kind of a hypocrite I guess.

And yes, Shelmet is the shit.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »

SHELL MET!

Caravan: devlog | website
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 24, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »

Looking great, following! I wish the latest build was linked to in the first post.

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »

whoa you're still working on this

lookin sick

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: April 25, 2015, 07:43:47 AM »

yeah but we got 2 Ls!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:39 PM »

sorry for replying to this oldass post

That way you don't ever have to target oMomo, you can just target global.p

tbh i would just use "with" in the actual code rather than the target selector thing. i personally never use that and never even look at it (which is why i guess i couldn't identify the actual problem when i "fixed" your code way back when lol)

ANYWAY, game seems to be coming along nicely, keep it up!
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: April 25, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »

tbh i would just use "with" in the actual code rather than the target selector thing. i personally never use that and never even look at it (which is why i guess i couldn't identify the actual problem when i "fixed" your code way back when lol)

im positive the problem way back when was the same problem i just had, where i clicked a check box on accident and it broke it.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: April 25, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »

i did some experimenting with weapon clashes and decided to look at samurai gunn to see how beau did it. it is, effectively, how i have mine set up right now. check to see if your hitbox collides with another and then push each other away. to test this i set both player 1 and player 2s attack button to be the same.

as you can see from the gif above, player 1 always seems to have the advantage in these exchanges. no matter what, player 2 is knocked away every single time. it is impossible for both players to be knocked back in samurai gunn. at least in this set up. this can be avoided in a couple of ways but the easiest by far is to make it so both players are knocked back and return to a neutral state (which is how i do it).

also you can see that the weapon clash happens even when you are behind the player. as long as your hitboxes intersect, they completely ignore the hurtboxes. making it impossible to kill someone if your hitboxes are touching at all, regardless of the hurtbox being hit.

personally i think it feels a bit strange to clash from behind, but i agree with the rest of it. ultimately this makes clashing very strong and extremely safe since it completely ignores hurtboxes after colliding with a hitbox. otherwise you end up with weird shit like this, where one player is killed and the other makes it out unscathed. this is also because one player is updating before the other, which effectively gives them that 1 frame advantage over the other. but i fixed that. because its bullshit.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #598 on: April 25, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »

The target selector is used by the with command:

with(global.p1)

which just targets one out of the possible four oMomo objects, instead of this:

with(oMomo)

which would target every instance of oMomo.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 25, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »

oMomo reminds me of my username for an old di-gata online rpg I used to play as a kid.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic