Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:41:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessProfit share contracts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Profit share contracts  (Read 1102 times)
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »

Any one have some good examples of profit share contracts and what has your experience been using them?

@yeahthatsean
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »

In my understanding the law varies depending on the jurisdiction (state, country etc). In my state, in order to retain full IP ownership, and have a profit-sharing contract, the terms have to be under what's called work-for-hire. These contracts have to have been signed prior to the completion of the work.

It is no help for you to see such contracts of others unless they reside in the same jurisdiction as you. Furthermore, it is in your interest to have a qualified IP attorney review and revise your contracts as needed. The reason for this is that a contract that doesn't follow the law in your jurisdiction would be null and void in any legal action against you. In simple terms, it would be as if you had no contract at all.
Defcon1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »

Here's an example available from Indie Fund:

7. Revenue Share. As additional consideration for Indie Fund’s willingness to make the Loan to Developer, Developer agrees to pay Indie Fund 25% of all Gross Revenue (including revenue generated by exploitation of any work based upon or derived from Game) received by Developer above the Loan amount (“Revenue Share”). The Revenue Share shall apply to the first dollar received by Developer above the Loan amount and all gross revenue received by Developer until the total payment to Indie Fund (Repayment plus Revenue Share) is equal to twice the Loan, or the Term has been reached.  Developer shall pay the Revenue Share to Indie Fund monthly, within fifteen (15) days after the end of the month in which Developer received the revenue subject to the Revenue Share.

As far as the terms laid out, it's pretty clear and no mention of territories/state as 25% is universal.  They do have a section that states California law would preside over any litigation, perhaps this remedies what you are talking about?

I am currently in a profit share contract that is similar to this.

A license fee equal to 2.5% of the wholesale selling price of the Product, or if no wholesale price, 2.5% of the Product's gross income as received by the Licensee.

It later states that in the event of dispute...

This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of California, U.S.A..

Anyway, I still consider my experience with these type of contracts limited.

@yeahthatsean
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »

Ah, you didn't mention that it was a funding contract from a creditor. That's a whole different area of law. I don't have creditors so I'm afraid my (lack of) experience won't be helpful, sorry. Maybe if you outlined your concerns people here will be able to give their impressions. But if you've accepted the terms of the contract, you're probably locked in. If you're looking to get out of it, review the termination clauses carefully with your attorney.

The Revenue Share shall apply to the first dollar received by Developer above the Loan amount and all gross revenue received by Developer until the total payment to Indie Fund (Repayment plus Revenue Share) is equal to twice the Loan, or the Term has been reached.

"equal to twice the Loan" sounds a bit onerous.

As far as the terms laid out, it's pretty clear and no mention of territories/state as 25% is universal.
This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of California, U.S.A..

This ensures that the law it was written under is the law that applies to disputes.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:00:31 PM by Mister Dave » Logged
MarkHerry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:34 AM »

Hello everyone. I am new user of this forum. I want to share about my work. We are business consultant and specialized in many fields. IF someone have any issue in business affairs then can contact with us for solving any problem.
Stone Sharp Accountants
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:30:55 PM by MarkHerry » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic