Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:08:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIs Game Development Becoming Less Common?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Is Game Development Becoming Less Common?  (Read 5382 times)
hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

I've been kind of out of touch with indie gaming for a while. I've been too busy developing games to have a look around and see what is happening.

When I started programming a few years ago, initially I was inspired by just how many others were also doing the same thing. Now it seems somewhat less popular from what I can tell. Is that the general consensus?

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »

I believe it's the opposite — game development is more popular than ever before, due to the increasing popularity of video games and because game development is getting more accessible for everyone. Ten years ago I had to go to places like indygamer.blogspot.com (now indiegames.com) and reloaded.org (née Abandonia Reloaded) to find indie games, but now I can see them in places like Steam and in the home consoles. (although I still like to go to sites since not every indie game goes to these two platforms, I was just stating the popularity increase)

hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »

That is undeniably true.

However I think maybe in the last year or so it seems that some of that popularity has begun to fade a small bit. Maybe I am wrong though, it could be the sites that I visit just have been declining in recent years in general in terms of visitors and thus new content.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »

god, i hope so

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »

I actually wish the indie bubble would burst.  Too saturated an industry right now, IMO, where it's become more about pushing out half-finished games as fast as possible and getting money from people stupid enough to buy early access/fund kickstarters.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
JWK5
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »

I actually wish the indie bubble would burst.  Too saturated an industry right now, IMO, where it's become more about pushing out half-finished games as fast as possible and getting money from people stupid enough to buy early access/fund kickstarters.
Sounds like the AAA industry with the advent of the XBOX360/PS3, but instead of Kickstarter the AAA hooks in its half-finished game scams via pre-orders and using pre-order bonus DLC as the bait. That isn't likely to change whether we are talking the AAA industry or the indie industry, let alone where they merge. Wherever there is public interest there is a bunch of people looking to turn a buck.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

I used to be able to keep up with the Devlogs forum.

I can't anymore, it's too busy.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »

someone stop dis madness plx

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »

Guys, could you please stop making games? K, thx.

lauragibs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 01:48:59 AM »

no it will alwaysstay as teh ''in'' thing     http://jogarjogosdemoto.com/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:22:29 AM by lauragibs » Logged
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:51:06 AM »

Or maybe it's more popular but there are less famous/huge projects. Or projects that make you lose your shit. I don't see any huge games being actively developed that thousands of people await. I haven't been around during the times of FEZ, but judging from the drama it got the indie world going.

hydroxy
Level 0

Polygon Drawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »

Or maybe it's more popular but there are less famous/huge projects. Or projects that make you lose your shit. I don't see any huge games being actively developed that thousands of people await. I haven't been around during the times of FEZ, but judging from the drama it got the indie world going.

Perhaps that is true. I think for me some of the novelty of the whole indie scene may be lessened to some degree. There are still big stories about indie games successes that reach the front page of sites like Reddit and even sometimes make mainstream news, but back a few years ago it was so much easier to get attached to those games, now it seems like no big deal in a way.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »

I don't know, I stopped playing AAA titles about 10 years ago and indie games is what got me back into gaming. Now almost all the titles I play and am excited about are indie to some degree. Games like Hotline Miami are as indie as it gets, and are the pinnacle of gaming for me. Every year there are new titles that I eagerly await.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »

yeah, fuck those scumbags for getting like 20k a year or less - an amount of money which, to me, as a man living in his mother's basement, with no living expenses whatsoever, seems absurdly high

i mean you could buy like 40 ps4s with that kinda money, that's crazy!

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »

Whatever happened to making good, freeware/cheap indie games as a hobby?  Now the only way to get noticed is to make a Kickstarter or pay Steam to let you on Greenlight.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

Whatever happened to making good, freeware/cheap indie games as a hobby?  Now the only way to get noticed is to make a Kickstarter or pay Steam to let you on Greenlight.
no one cares about freeware indie games nowadays, saturation

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

or maybe it's that the games that had to be freeware before can actually make the devs some money now? ? ? ? ? ? which lets the devs make more games or possibly work on their games fulltime? ? ? ? ? ?

:O

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »

probably both

!! !! !!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! .. . . . .. .  ? ? / ? ? ? ? ? ? ?/

8====D  O:
8====DO:
8====O:
8O:
8:

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »

"had to be freeware"

bobo cali capitalism has poisoned ur brain not everything wants to be a commodity

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »

I wish developers would quit locking features behind Kickstarter paywalls-I mean making totally radical stretch goals for the win!!!!!!

I hope you realize that you're not getting anything "extra".  These features have been planned since day one but they've said "hey I bet we could hold this ransom for a few thousand more bones".  When's the last time it was possible to shoehorn in multiplayer or cross-platform support at the very end of a project?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic