Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:38:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIs Game Development Becoming Less Common?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Is Game Development Becoming Less Common?  (Read 5338 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »

I wish developers would quit locking features behind Kickstarter paywalls-I mean making totally radical stretch goals for the win!!!!!!

I hope you realize that you're not getting anything "extra".  These features have been planned since day one but they've said "hey I bet we could hold this ransom for a few thousand more bones".  When's the last time it was possible to shoehorn in multiplayer or cross-platform support at the very end of a project?

u know that features cost manhours, which cost money

rite?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »

Whatever happened to making good, freeware/cheap indie games as a hobby?  Now the only way to get noticed is to make a Kickstarter or pay Steam to let you on Greenlight.

my games are free and i make them as a hobby
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »

thread in which you can identify all the people who still live at home/don't ever have to think seriously about money.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

u know that features cost manhours, which cost money

rite?

Point is that if those features are things which need special attention from the start the amount of extra time put into them is not nearly as much as they make it out to be.

Also, Pixel made Cave Story in his free time.  How many indie games can you honestly say can come close to that?

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »

I object to the notion that game development as a hobby is something reserved for the wealthy.

e: I'd like to see more "donationware" projects now that there's better channels for that like patreon, rather than all these seriousface business ventures that kickstarter projects have to present themselves as
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:23:19 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »

thread in which you can identify all the people who still live at home/don't ever have to think seriously about money.
how did u identify me?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

Videogames as a hobby are reserved for people who can sustain their game development hobby financially. That doesn't mean 'wealthy' -- but it does make a lot of sense why some people need to charge for games.  Shrug

With a couple of very noteworthy (and laudable) excetions all of the developers I know who actually finish things sustain themselves from gamedev or related work.

Boreal -- how many people do you know dev full time? Or who are living off of freelance/gamedeve? Very few of the working developers I've met would agree with your judgement.

Cave story is very good, but it's not realistic to expect every game to be made the same way it was, or every developer to have the same feelings/circumstances as pixel.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

making (large) games as a hobby takes a shitload of dedication. you have to be either REALLY passionate about your project and/or REALLY enjoy every facet of game development. gamedev is pretty much one of the least relaxing hobbies out there and can become a second job.

that's the part of the reason i'm not very prolific as a developer and often take long breaks from makking gams (the other part is just laziness Tongue).
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »

making (large) games as a hobby takes a shitload of dedication. you have to be either REALLY passionate about your project and/or REALLY enjoy every facet of game development. gamedev is pretty much one of the least relaxing hobbies out there and can become a second job.

that's the part of the reason i'm not very prolific as a developer and often take long breaks from makking gams (the other part is just laziness Tongue).

Yes. Many otherwise very good developers either can't do it or can barely do it while also working 40 hours a week at another job. Some can, but if we limited ourselves to those guys we'd have a pretty small industry.

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »

Or: anyone who isn't Tim Schafer and knows how to budget things.

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »

colon semicolon,

are you illiterate?

sincerely,
bobo

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »

So like is it ironic or deliberate that you have an avatar that's literally all your posts??

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »

Point is I'd really hope to see alot less half-finished things being sold as though they'll ever actually be finished. So many kickstarter games are ending up that way, and there's still a bunch of problems with the archetypal game, Minecraft. At what point exactly is it okay to just arbitrarily assign values to core features when you're going to go well over budget and fuck things up anyway? Tim Schafer is pretty much the hugest example, where nearly everything he's done of the past 3 years is a fucking blackhole where nothing will ever be gained?

Basically, is not finishing your fucking job perfectly okay now?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

Minecraft is obviously working well enough, and has been for a long time, with many updates since, seeing how popular it is. It's basically a game that did well enough almost from the start and now just has a continuous flow of free DLC updates, really. It may be true what you're saying for many kickstarted games, but I don't think Minecraft has any problem. It already does what it's supposed to, and simply gets new content all the time.

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »

Then why does it still have the same arbitrarily clunky combat system from the beginning of survival alpha with like 2 or 3 minor tweaks? before the redone AI you could mostly ignore it, but afterward it became a chore to deal with monsters.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »

Heh, I wasn't even considering that part of the game – I'm only interested in building things. You might be right about that part – but that may also be precisely because most players probably don't care about that anyway. I haven't been paying attention to Minecraft for a long time, tho, so I guess I don't know what may have been changed to break things either, but isn't a lot of stuff configurable anyway?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

This is a goofy derail into weirdo personal soapbox territory. I do not want to talk about how much you dislike tim schafer, or your weirdly contradictory expectations from other people's successful games. That is not what this thread is about.

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »

This is a goofy derail into weirdo personal soapbox territory. I do not want to talk about how much you dislike tim schafer, or your weirdly contradictory expectations from other people's successful games. That is not what this thread is about.

Oh the list of incomplete games made these days could go on and on! Planetary Annihilation, Sealark (which I question if that one will ever be playable or not) Clang, Yogventures and the other project that was going to replace it. Mighty No. 9 is probably going to fall apart, and even inafune has basically given up on it at this point. Hell, even projects that deliver can be a total waste, such as the infamous Ouya debacle.
http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/
The biggest thing to note is nearly all of these have gone over budget, either by people not understanding their development costs at all or just not giving a shit about actually delivering the product.
At this point, it's actually amazing that anyone wants to fund anything gaming related on kickstarter, and further baffling that people are moving to Patreon to fund games, as that's an even more slippery slope to deal with.

So I ask again: is the precedent to just not finish your job?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:08:35 PM by Colon Semicolon » Logged

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »

Oh the list of incomplete games made these days could go on and on! Planetary Annihilation, Sealark (which I question if that one will ever be playable or not) Clang, Yogventures and the other project that was going to replace it. Mighty No. 9 is probably going to fall apart, and even inafune has basically given up on it at this point. Hell, even projects that deliver can be a total waste, such as the infamous Ouya debacle.
http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/
The biggest thing to note is nearly all of these have gone over budget, either by people not understanding their development costs at all or just not giving a shit about actually delivering the product.
At this point, it's actually amazing that anyone wants to fund anything gaming related on kickstarter, and further baffling that people are moving to Patreon to fund games, as that's an even more slippery slope to deal with.

So I ask again: is the precedent to just not finish your job?

you are a really weird, unpleasant dude.

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »

Or: 'I don't like to read a differing statement to my own'

Literally all these things are contributing to the problem this thread is about. Less people are interested in trying to go into a market that has a 66% failure rate on it's main source of funding in the past few years. Fewer still are actually motivated to just make a game and not worry about the monetary value attached.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic