Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:33:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1906796 times)
Zeke M.
Level 0

hug hug hug

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »

I just posted a big text-dump rant into a thread, so I figured I would introduce myself before people start telling me to.

My name is Zeke.  I am a 23-year old full-time dishwasher who dropped out of high-school.  I smoke like a chimney, drink coffee and alcohol like a fish, and wake up in the late afternoon.

I have no coding experience, artistic skills, or patience, but I am starting to learn game design and I think it's going really well! (Sound familiar?)

I love to read fiction.  My favorite books are anything by Borges, New York Trilogy by Auster, The Demolished Man by Bester, Blood Meridian by McCarthy, The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.

I play the concertina (a cheap 30-key english) as well as the drums, piano, synthesizer, guitar, and bass.  I am an amateur at all of them.  I also write music on PXTone with some frequency.

My favorite games, in no order, are: Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Cave Story, really the whole Monkey Island series, Earthbound, Braid, Aquaria, Super-Metroid, Ninja Gaiden series, Adventures of Lolo, Castlevania, Mega Man series.  (A fairly standard smattering of gems)

I ride a bicycle everywhere.

I have a chow/akita named Boris Dinosaurus.

Did I mention I smoke like a chimney?

There, it's like we're friends now.  Hello friends. Tears of Joy
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2581 on: July 31, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »

They might not think of it this way, but any good game developer is often faced with a wade array of "unknowns" at the beginning of a process.

We described the state of the project at my old studio in exactly those terms. It takes both some strong project management and experienced devs to coordinate a team towards maximizing the unknowns it touches on at the outset. Under time pressure, production will start much earlier than it should and assets start getting added before all the unknowns are sorted out. That becomes the biggest source of massive "we can't ship this game" flaws down the line.

I often found that (as a designer adding scripts, level layouts, and integration data) I had to remember to stress-test the stuff coders wrote because they would only write a feature to a single trivial case, and any more complex implementations would just be a bomb waiting to go off later on - which, if I didn't try to test it immediately, could be months down the line.

Corpus
« Reply #2582 on: July 31, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »

Re: post length, there is indeed no limit, but know that your post may say more about you than you intend it to. Panda

Welcome to Zeke, the Adams, KittenEater and everyone else!
DMAshura
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 31, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »

始めまして。阿修羅と申します。よろしくお願いします。

There we go.  Now with the moonspeak out of the way, introduction time.

My name is Bill Shillito.  I'm known online mostly as DM Ashura.  I'm a game designer and a musician.  If any of you play music games, you may know my work from Stepmania, Flash Flash Revolution, and O2Jam, as well as recent official Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania IIDX games.  More info on that stuff at www.dmashura.com and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DM_Ashura.

I'm also working on a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame that premiered at Sonic Amateur Games Expo (SAGE) 14 this year, called "Sonic Gemini" - a classic 2D Sonic game with a twist: you play as a tag team of Sonic and his former rival Metal Sonic.  Yes it's a strange pairing.  But strange enough to work!  More info on that at http://clearimagery.net/sonicgemini/.

So with the introduction out of the way, if I may ask a question ... how do I go about trying to find help for my game?  Right now the thing I'm most in need of is backdrop artists.  We've got people helping with characters, objects, and foreground art, but backgrounds seem to be much more advanced.  If somebody could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2584 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »

Beatmania IIDX Kiss

Search the forums for the collaboration thread! Smiley

ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »

Hello everyone.  Smiley

I call myself ASnogarD , which is DragonSA backwards....which is a Welsh bloke grew up in South Africa , and has recently returned to Wales.

I am a gamer but more a designer, or rather a designer would be. My particular talent is to take an idea and expand it ... make it much more than it was, in a good way. I take an idea and run it through my mind until I have enhanced it and foreseen a lot of the pitfalls in the idea.

I have recently decided to try actually get one of my ideas out, so I am learning Java ( cant argue with the price of the SDK and NetBeans IDE eh ? ), playing with UML (just the class diagrams) and having a blast trying to work out the ideas in a manner that translate to if then statements and conditional loops Tongue

The game is a roguelike , initially with ASCII as I work out the logic code but ultimately more like a Diablo clone (real time and isometric view game). The game will have a semi randomly generated dungeon for each new game, no saves or lives and will be hard . The game will also be classless and if my ideas work out half as well as I want, the player will create his/her own class as they play.

My experience... well I played with the basics of the Vic 20 , the Speccy 48 k and GWBasic, I also done the hello world in C but ... honestly at the time couldnt afford the IDE and compiler...thus I have gone with Java.
I will be asking some questions and looking for tips from you guys , heres hoping for a long and happy relationship with TIG and you the community.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2586 on: August 01, 2009, 02:50:49 AM »

There are free IDE:s and compilers for C/C++, try Code::Blocks for one.

Bill Hoggett
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2587 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

There are free IDE:s and compilers for C/C++, try Code::Blocks for one.
...and of course the NetBeans IDE itself is also a C/C++ IDE as well as Java.
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2588 on: August 01, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »

...and of course the NetBeans IDE itself is also a C/C++ IDE as well as Java.

Ah yes, of course. Smiley

ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 01, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »

Thanks for the info , but I'll stick with Java for now as I have already put some time in it already and starting to get the feel for it.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2590 on: August 01, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »

Ok well... Hi, i'm ak. I'm 29, i live in Paris, France where i work as a freelance illustrator/cartoonist. I've been more and more interested in the indie games community for a few months now. This might not be a very original opinion, but i think there is more creativity there than in most commercial games i've played. Naturally, i've been developing a growing need to create my own games and i'm hoping to find inspiration and help on this forum (i've actually found the first one already).

Well, that's it Smiley Thanks for these great games and this forum .

travisdunn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2591 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

Hi, I’m Travis, 29 light years old, gamer and software developer, currently living and working in Amsterdam. I keep a blog at my site, travisdunn.com; I spend my days doing web development, and my nights nurturing hobbies, which has recently amounted to putting together a game for the iPhone that I hope to release this year.

I started programming due to an early interest in video games, though I apparently had the sense not to try and make a living at it and games have remained a hobbyist byproduct of my career. I’ve been professionally programming for the last ten years or so, but releasing a game for the iPhone would be my first entry into the games industry.

It's rare that I've found challenges in the business world that are as complex, creative, and programmatically as interesting as making games, a vastly demanding domain that touches on almost all aspects of software development. Because of their diverse and sophisticated requirements, combined with the importance placed on the end users, video games have always for me symbolized the forefront of the programming world and the testing ground for advanced interfaces and rich simulations.

Some of my favorite games throughout the ages:

A Mind Forever Voyaging, Castlevania, Civilization, Bioshock, ChuChu Rocket, Darklands, Dead or Alive, Disciples, EarthBound, Halo 1, Morrowind, Nethack, Resident Evil, Robot Odyssey, Quest for Glory, SimEarth, Startropics, System Shock, Undying, W40k: Dawn of War

Blog: http://www.travisdunn.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rogueship
There is neither speech nor language
but their voice is heard among them
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2592 on: August 02, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

I'm also working on a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame that premiered at Sonic Amateur Games Expo (SAGE) 14 this year, called "Sonic Gemini" - a classic 2D Sonic game with a twist: you play as a tag team of Sonic and his former rival Metal Sonic.  Yes it's a strange pairing.  But strange enough to work!  More info on that at http://clearimagery.net/sonicgemini/.

I know absolutely nothing about all that other stuff you did, but I saw Sonic Gemini a few days ago and eagerly await the final version. :-D
Nitromatic
« Reply #2593 on: August 02, 2009, 02:47:32 AM »

Hiello everyone. I am Nitromatic,I live in Finland  Durr...?
When I played games,I was stunned. I was like "I want to become game developer" and when we finally got Internet,I just downloaded games and games. It was wonderful.

Then our Windows 98 died,so we bought Windows Vista. So begun my new season. I used Game Maker 4 to try make games,but it didn't work well,so..I downloaded Game Maker 7! And I own full version. I also use Sound Club to make musics to my games ^^ By the way,if you ask who is my favourite indie. Well,everyone who makes games are my favourite. And indie game I love? It's Spelunky! So I give BRAVO to Derek Yu.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »

Ok well... Hi, i'm ak. I'm 29, i live in Paris, France where i work as a freelance illustrator/cartoonist. I've been more and more interested in the indie games community for a few months now. This might not be a very original opinion, but i think there is more creativity there than in most commercial games i've played. Naturally, i've been developing a growing need to create my own games and i'm hoping to find inspiration and help on this forum (i've actually found the first one already).

Well, that's it Smiley Thanks for these great games and this forum .

We always need more frenchies here. Welcome! Smiley
3dSquare
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: August 02, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »

Hiello everyone. I am Nitromatic,I live in Finland  Durr...?
When I played games,I was stunned. I was like "I want to become game developer" and when we finally got Internet,I just downloaded games and games. It was wonderful.

Then our Windows 98 died,so we bought Windows Vista. So begun my new season. I used Game Maker 4 to try make games,but it didn't work well,so..I downloaded Game Maker 7! And I own full version. I also use Sound Club to make musics to my games ^^ By the way,if you ask who is my favourite indie. Well,everyone who makes games are my favourite. And indie game I love? It's Spelunky! So I give BRAVO to Derek Yu.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hey Nitro! Glad to see you joined!
count
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 02, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »

Hi TIGS Community!

I joined this Forum nearly a year ago (October 21, 2008) and now I think it is time to make my first post here Smiley
So you ask yourself who is this guy, why did he join, and why did it took him nearly a year to first post here? Read on! All this questions will be answered in this introduction.

- who am i -

My name is Christopher and I started coding on my C64. After I got my first 386 I started to learn pascal and wrote some small arcade remakes in it like pong and snake.

After some years of pascal I switched to C and started working on an RPG game. But it got never finished because my graphics designer left the team and I was totally demotivated that I stopped working on that game.
Shortly after I started learning C++ I got my first job which required me to learn java.

Since then (2006) my daily work is java related. It's not game development but application development though. Which I'm quite happy about so I can continue to write games as hobby in my free time.

At this point I didn't want to continue writing games with c or c++. So I searched a good lib for my newly learned language java... but to no avail I couldn't find anything that satisfied me.
On a journey through languages like Ruby, C#, and a lot of frameworks like xna, and the try to write games with c#/mono/gtk I was still at the point of having not found a library and laguage that was fun to write games with.
So recently I switched back to c++ and allegro. After some months of development I stumbled upon slick!
And it is FUN to write games with slick and java.

So since 1 month I rewrite a a game I started in C and it's coming along nicely.
So my search that lastet several years has now ended.
And I celebrate it with my first post here!  Beer!

- why did i join -

Back in the days when the site was still useable I hung around at greatgamesexperiment.
There I met skaldicpoet9. He was very interested and very informed about the indie games scene.

I think the indie game scene is an awesome community and it seemed that most of them were at gge.
Sadly gge died more more more. So I contacted skaldicpoet9 to see if he is still there and to tell him that its sad that this place died.
And he told me about TIG and that he is hanging around here.
So I instantly joined and never looked back! Wink

- why did it take so long to post -

It's just because I don't have much to say. I like to read about indie games, play them, and getting inspired by them.
I love it when I see a new game that just makes me WOW  Addicted
So I'm more of a reader and a watcher.
And a coder in my secret lair.  Ninja

So yeah! Thats a looooong introduction... maybe someone will read it Wink
Cheers to all the TIGS community and especially to skaldicpoet9!
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2597 on: August 02, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »

'ello there, I'm error and I've been lurking this place for quite a while. I thought I'd join today out of boredom, and also because I want to become an indie game developer. I thought this forum would be a great place to start. anyway, cheers! Smiley

keelids
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 03, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »

'i introduce myself... TO TOTAL STRANGERS?Huh?'
 Hand Pencil :whome;

here's a HI, G'DAY, Pleasant Evening, and greeting.

pleased to meet y'all.

C is about as advances programming wise I have ever attempted. It's like looking into the dictionary of a post-modern deconstructionist who writes the weekly column for Words of Wits.

I'll polly edit once I read through some previous posts. Gentleman

(fact d' day: 9 years is the longest time I've spent in one place)

[footnote: for some proper stuff on who I am, I used to want to be a car designer, want to design my own website, be a painter, and also jazz pianist. So far, nothing yet. I also did a lot of math when in school,  so much so that I now try to not think about them too much. For the curious, specialty bachelor degrees don't roxrz as much as the name say. Who's an artist here?]
Dr Lecter
Level 0

Tally ho by jove

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2599 on: August 03, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »

Tally ho old chaps Gentleman

I'm a programmer (C++/C# mostly)... Erm, my hobbies include... tennis, video games, and walking around pretending total strangers are secret agents, reading all kinds of meanings into every movement they make.

Beer!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic