Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:31:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1907000 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »

A funny story, when I was at MIGS last year I was trying out the new Wiimote zapper, I had the whole Counterstrike style stance going. I overheard "Here's the story." Seemingly on their way the CTV Cameras got all up in my grill and the interviewer asked me,
"Do you think that this game will help you shoot better?"
I indignantly replied "No."
She then said "Well you have the stance down."
"Yeah, well that comes from contemporary media."
She stopped talking to me and the camera man continued to pan around us as I played. I was pretty frustrated, I brought up the situation to several people I had talked to during the day. When I watched the piece about a week later, which I did appear in, but not talking. It was about serious games and games that teach, and how, apparently, thats what MIGS was about this year. For me, it was more the realization that Indie development is more my style. Nothing galvanized that more then Gamma 256, which was such an awesome party, filled to the brim with fantastic games. Links from Kokoromi's site lead me here.
Undecided This reminds me of the story the undercover cop tells in Reservoir Dogs. It's got all the elements. It's interesting, it antagonizes a group we, as a group, do not particularly like, and you've got it down like you've rehearsed it about 40 times.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Corpus
« Reply #421 on: January 31, 2008, 03:02:06 AM »

So he's actually an undercover cameraman? I see.

It's not hard for something to sound rehearsed when it's written down. That's kinda the point..

Thanks for the welcomes Smiley
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: January 31, 2008, 04:11:46 AM »

I've been a member of this community for a long time now, and it's time I reveal the shocking truth:

My real name isn't actually Smithy.

Shocked

Oh, good! My pet dog is called Smithy, and I was finding it impossible to read your posts without thinking about him.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2008, 04:12:40 AM »

Seriously. I keep getting this mental picture of my dog sitting up at the computer typing stuff in.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Corpus
« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2008, 12:07:49 PM »

One of my friends once got a birthday card saying that from his grandparents. It seemed wrong, somehow.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

Undecided This reminds me of the story the undercover cop tells in Reservoir Dogs. It's got all the elements. It's interesting, it antagonizes a group we, as a group, do not particularly like, and you've got it down like you've rehearsed it about 40 times.
Well here you go Mr. Fancy pants non believer.

There is me, on screen playing Wii at MIGS.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »

While we're using photography to prove our identities, I'd like to take this opportunity to present photographic proof that I am not actually Terry's dog:

(I'm the guy on the left, clubbing the naked fisherman with a pipe.)

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »

Zaphos
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2008, 04:27:18 AM »

Well, post 300, I might as well do this ... Shocked

I'm Jimmy Andrews, last year a CMU CS undergrad, now a grad student at Berkeley who has been trying to make games since he played GORILLAS.BAS

back in the day, when he didn't know what functions were so he tried to reinvent them with GOTO and extra state.

I've been making games for speedhacks and ludum dares for forever now, for which I made, um
the peanut butter spreading simulator

and banana combat

and "a bunch of other stuff"

I grew up playing space operas, rpg+fps games, and lucas-arts adventures, but now my love goes much more to platformers and smaller games.  Portal rocked my world.

Recently I made Mr. Heart Loves You Very Much

Lately I've been doodling too much

I love 2D, but I'd like to work on some 3D games some day too; I love 3D animation.  Here's a frame from a student film I made with 4 other kids at CMU ...

um, you see, it's about eyeballs who party while their owner sleeps.

The main console of my life was the N64, on which I played the hell out of Beetle Adventure Racing and Space Station Silicon Valley

Remember this bug?  Yes, yes I do.

I grew up in Ohio, but now I'm in California.  For those foreign peoples, who are not intimately familiar with the excessive states of the US, here is a map:

I believe that should explain everything.

The only 2D animation I ever did that wasn't tiny pixel-art was this:

it taught me that 2D animation is even more painful to do than 3D animation, especially if you suck at drawing like I do, so that's why I want to make better tools for "cheating" at high res 2D animation.

And, um, finally, when it comes to pictures I believe in quantity over quality

THAT IS ALL.
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »

Space Station Silicon Valley
<3

Also, Mr. Heart is awesome.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

Thanks for this!
Its proof that Nintendo is finally obtaining the much coveted 20 something white nerd fatty market.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

That hat makes your head look HUGE. Nice hat, besides that, though
Wait
I think this is one of those moments were this is going to come out a lot meaner then I intended... Umm...  Sad No offense intended.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:58 AM »

That hat makes your head look HUGE. Nice hat, besides that, though
Wait

Haha - I like that you clarify that you don't have anything against the hat :D

Puzzle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2008, 02:34:46 AM »

Hi!

I'm Joseph, and I live in Cheshire, England. Online, people call me Puzzle. A lot of my interests and hobbies revolve around computers, although I'm equally as enthusiastic about comics, books and drawing.

I've been playing games since around 1997, when I remember playing MacMan on my dad's Apple Mac. Although it was just a simple Pac Man clone, it birthed my love of computer games. I bought a Game Boy Colour in early 2000, and my parents had to prize it away from my hands at times.  I significantly remember playing Alleyway, and the annoying fact that it didn't save my high-score still hasn't deterred me from playing it.

Around the same time, Otto Matic was released for Mac, and I played it on the original iMac. That was my most rememberable game on an actual computer. The now cubist graphics were state of the art at the time, and the music was mesmerizing. I don't recall playing any other games until I picked up a Playstation at a carboot sale in 2002.

I was really proud of myself when I bought the Playstation. It was the slim version, and it came with 5 games for a measly £5 ($10)! It was definately a bargain in my eyes. I sold the semi-crappy Nascar 2000 to make way for Gran Turismo 1 & 2, but the other 4 games I still own.

After that, I started to get consoles nearer the date they were released. I got a Game Boy Advance SP for Christmas 2003, along with Pokemon Ruby. I enjoyed it so much, I even reset the game and completed it another 7 times. It remains one of my favourite games to date, and I made a huge mistake when I traded it in for Final Fantasy III. I got a Nintendo DS for my birthday in May 2005, and I've had heaps of fun with it since. For Christmas 2006, I got a Nintendo Wii, and then in October 2007, I bought a PSP Slim.

But it's not just playing games which I enjoy. I also take pride in being a game developer, thanks to Mark Overmars' Game Maker. While I have yet to complete a game, I think it's amazing how anybody can create an actual computer game. Although, I have a number of projects on the horizon, so hopefully this information will soon become obsolete!
clandestineworks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2008, 05:28:09 AM »

Hello!

We are Clandestine Works!

First! excuses, we were so exciting posting about Covert Warfare release that forgot introduce us first. (8 sales the first week!)

We are combat games and Jack Bauer fan  and have been developing Covert Warfare the last year.

[img http://clandestineworks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/news2.jpg]

Our web is Clandestine Works and we would like that you participate in our community.

We will take us a photo to post here (we are so cute!!!)

www.clandestineworks.com

Lord Ash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »

um, its me ash, from #tigIRC... I introduced myself there...
Jolli
« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »

yay  Grin
Corpus
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

Hey Ash Kiss
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2008, 03:58:57 AM »

I've been playing games since around 1997, when I remember playing MacMan on my dad's Apple Mac.

Around the same time, Otto Matic was released for Mac, and I played it on the original iMac. That was my most rememberable game on an actual computer. The now cubist graphics were state of the art at the time, and the music was mesmerizing.

Welcome to TIGS, dude.  It's always nice to see others making their way here from a Macintosh background, specially those who grew up on old school Macs -- before they regained their hipster cache.  :D   Cool

@doomlaser, mark johns
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic