I'm Pontus Lundvall, I'm 32, from sweden and into programming games. Back in the day, me and my friends made a game called Brutal Homicide for Amiga (a lovely 16-bit computer of the 90's) http://hol.abime.net/5520
It got very well received, but the fall of Commodore and the Amiga meant it didn't have a very good platform to continue to grow on. Its still playable in emulators.
Then I stopped making games for quite some time, until I started working at king.com programming different small casual games. I worked 5 years there and got to know that Notch guy real well. Once he quit his job and started working on minecraft, I felt like it was time to try something of my own also.
Now I'm working 60% part time at jalbum.net and remaining 40% I'm developing a new game called drug camp
, sort of based on the now 15 year old game I made on Amiga. Here's a info site http://drugcamp.com
It looks something like this;
It's a persistent multiplayer thing revolving around a fortress guarding a drug farm. So sort of persistent multiplayer action farmv1lle and tower defense all rolled up into one. There's also a very (very) big persistent forest surrounding the camp which you can explore and collect resources from. It's all coming along real nice, but its not available yet.
An earlier milestone of this game (Project Brutal
) is playable in either single or multiplayer: http://rocten.com/pb
It plays more like a simple top down counter strike. It will give you a good feel for the controls and the basic game play, and is real fun if you get a buddy or four playing with you.
Another thing. Both these projects are written in assembler, on my own custom hardware platform which is then emulated in Adobe Flash. Further on, I will expand on this and add an emulator written in C/OpenGL too, taking it to iPhone and such.
It's all kinda crazy design, but its also one of the key factors I managed to keep motivation up. It's just like coding your own little dream console, only that the stuff will run anywhere I want!