Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:52:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1907928 times)
Picherity
« Reply #5800 on: November 18, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »

Hi everyone - I'm Matthew Sandstrom. Good thankyou. That's good. Okay!

I feel a little awkward here, as I've only recently completed my first (short) game, and I'm by no means a professional designer or programmer. I specialize in music, having studied at the Elder Conservatorium in Adelaide. Music isn't really what I want for a career, though, so I'm keeping up work on my own little projects and things, with reports on a blog that can be found here:

I'm very excited about what's happening in the games industry right now, and I'm going to do whatever I can to be a part of it. And that's all there is to say, really. ^^

Oh, and the kind of games I want to make are like ... like artificial memories. That's a very vague kind of ideal. I'm focussed on creating games that communicate emotively to the Player through the core gameplay mechanics, without relying on aesthetics and graphics/sound.
yuji
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5801 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

Hey everybody,

I'm Yuji Kosugi. I'm living in London now, but I'll be moving sometime next year when my visa expires (probably Montreal next, or maybe Copenhagen or Melbourne).

I quit my boring office job a year ago, did a lot of soul-searching, and finally decided to start making games a month and a half ago. My original project (making a more mainstream-accessible roguelike) was a bit too ambitious for a first game so I set it aside a few weeks ago to start working on a simpler game—a 2d weaponless "shooter"—an alpha build of which I'll be posting to the feedback forum later.

I've been playing games on and off for most of my life. Here are some favorites, off the top of my head:

• King of Dragon Pass: I'm continuously in awe at this game for being able to create such a rich, flavorful story that is different every time you play.
  • Fallout: Incredibly detailed world filled with compelling characters, interesting moral decisions, and quests with many possible solutions. There's just so much fun stuff to do in that game.
  • Sid Meier's Pirates: I'm still not entirely sure why this game works so well. You sail around, occasionally fight other ships, and go around doing a bunch of minigames. But the game has a lot of personality, and somehow all the pieces combine into an amazingly fun game.
  • Team Fortress 2: It's nice to have an FPS I can do pretty well at by using my brain, even though I'm not that good at FPSs in general.
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: I love roguelikes because permadeath gives every decision significance, procedural generation provides near-infinite replayability, and the emergent interaction of elements like monsters and items provides you with a neverending sequence of interesting tactical and strategic conundrums. I also love how roguelikes are such a pure test of your ability to make good decisions, as opposed to, say, memorization or patience for grinding. As for DCSS in particular, I think the races and classes provides a lot of different ways to play the game, and there's a good blend of tactical and strategic complexity.
  • Super Hexagon: Speaking of pure tests of player skill, this is might be the purest possible test of pattern recognition and reaction time. Playing this game until I could beat the hardest(estest) difficulty level gave me a lot of new experiences, including the ability to turn concentration on and off at will, and the perception that time has slowed down as a result of your mastery (both psychological phenomena that I had heard about through accounts of elite athletes but had never actually experienced before). 

Also: Loom, Quake, Alpha Centauri, Descent, Heroes of Might and Magic, Resident Evil, Blast Corps, Super Smash Brothers, etc. etc. etc.

The game I'm working on now, and most of my ideas, are either single player tests of skill (i.e. arcade high score games and roguelikes) or multiplayer contests, but I'm also interested in story-based stuff. Above all though, I want to make stuff that is new and not derivative or just an obvious genre work, and I also want to respect players and provide value instead of just taking up their time.
brotherJeremie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5802 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »

Hello,

my name is jeremie, I am french, and I am 25.
I try to create games with a friend, Tibius, and we will see how it's work.
I am game/level designer, and I defend myself in graphics design. Tibius is developer.

Here is what we look when we are eating (french people like to eat):

How did I get into games?
Since I am a child, I create games on paper like maze and other kind of piscou magazine games. When I discover video games, I start to wanted to be game creator. Whatever was the way.
Then I learned development and level/game design at school, and graphic design by myself.

I like strategy and war, like this:

And I like original weird stuffs and poetry like this:

Now Tibius and I, are trying to make our own game and sell it.
It is called Ubinota. And it is more a weird poetic stuff.
Jóhannes G.
Level 0

Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5803 on: November 22, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

Góðann daginn. Gentleman

The Me

My name is Jóhannes Gunnar Þorsteinsson, I am currently 24 years old Icelandic sound, music and visual artist who was brought up by video games because that's the only thing I had to entertain myself for I spent the majority of my life near the highlands in north west Iceland. With nearest neighbor around 10 kilometers away and nearest town (pop. 500 people) 30 kilometers away.

Although I do remember receiving the NES with Super Mario Bros back when I was 3 years old, and playing Zelda and all that but I still don't associate much with those games. Although I guess they did kickstart my love for games. The games that really shaped me was the Marathon Trilogy, I think I spent over 10 years playing the Marathon games through, modding them, creating maps, and hang out on internet forums related to the games. My first game, 'Susannah' (never released, although showcased at an art exhibition) was even made with the Aleph One (Marathon) engine.

After studying visual arts in Akureyri, the "capital" of north Iceland, where I did my first game, Susannah, as a final project at school, I moved to Sweden to study sound/game design at the University of Skövde and I am currently doing my last year there. After that I guess I have no idea what happens. Maybe I will continue pushing my luck and try to survive as a indie developer or an obscure weirdo musician. Or I will end up finding some game/art related company/group that wants me.

My favorite kind of games are the ones that challenge the status quo and the definition of what a game is, and I tend to prefer open world games that rely heavily on atmosphere although sometimes I like to play casual games.

Games I love.
- Bit.trip.runner
- Marathon
- Dear Esther
- Kairo
- Limbo
- Cave Story

My Games

- Susannah (never officially released)
- S (currently in production)
- Ouroborosorosos (sound designer, Game Jam game 2012)
- Hero Battle Arena (sound designer, nominated Swedish Game of the Year 2011)

My Music
Just like with games, I love music that pushes the boundaries of what we define as music. My music can therefor be described more as sound art, soundscapes, with a mixture of drone, noise, and ambient.
http://zizdrone.bandcamp.com

So yeah... Great being here! I've been sort of lurking for the past year or so and rarely (or never) posted. But now it's time to get serious! Smiley

oh yeah, and here's my website!
http://www.johannesg.com

- Jóhannes G.portfolio
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: November 22, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »

nice music.
Jóhannes G.
Level 0

Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5805 on: November 23, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »

nice music.

Thank you!  Coffee
Heads up, If you like it a lot, I would recommend downloading it from my bandcamp ( http://zizdrone.bandcamp.com ) ASAP as all of my digital releases are for free currently but there is a possibility of me raising the price (at least on some of them) in the near future.

- Jóhannes G.portfolio
planet_io
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5806 on: November 24, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »

Hello! This is Dan Jorquera, lead game designer at Planet Io Entertainment. One day I hope to release something as memorable as Braid, Bastion, or Fez. Gomez Currently I'm playing Fly'n when I'm not working on my game. Wink

LINKS!

Planet Io:
http://www.planetio.net

Personal Portfolio:
http://www.danjorquera.com

Current project:
http://www.ancientaxes.com

Nice to meet you. Coffee
carley
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5807 on: November 26, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »

Hey all! I'm Carley. I'm just getting starting making video games, it's something I've dreamed of since being a kid. I used to spend my time creating non digital games (like card games and role playing systems), but it's recently occurred to me that I can actually make a video game with the tools out there now.

I love independent game culture and am very excited to be a part of it!
Gazu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5808 on: November 26, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »

Hi, I'm Patricio , but most people on internet know me as Gazu. Gentleman

I had been developing games since 2005, mostly advergames for companies like Cocacola, Disney, Nestle, etc.

Also I made my own games when I found a little free time window

Cyberpunk (2006) : http://jayisgames.com/archives/2006/09/cyberpunk.php
Time Raider (2007) : http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/08/time_raider.php

I co-found a game company in 2008 (Vertigo) we tried to make our own games, but we ended making advergames and social-games for clients, I finally leave in 2011 to make my own games.

Currently I'm working on an indie game with my friend RedFox and a game framework.
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: November 26, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »

Hey y'all my name is Giulianno and i've never done any games before  Who, Me?

I always wanted to make some games and see other people having fun with it, i've always had some crazy ideas and now i wanna share some   Hand Shake LeftNinja Hand Shake Right
I'm really new to game development, i think i'm more like an artist but anyways.. I'm developing a game right now on Construct Classic ( it seemed really easy to learn so yea.. )
I'm doing this for fun so its kind of just a hobbie for me, maybe in the future i'll try something more serious.
Well, nice to meet you guys and cya  Coffee
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5810 on: November 27, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

Hello  Smiley

I'm a physicist trying to get into grad school and a hobbyist game developer that never actually finished a game. Whenever I have an idea that gets me really excited I just need to start working on it! so I start a lot of projects Tongue Right now I'm working on a game that is a mixture between adventure and dungeon crawler for android, a stealth game (windows), a browser game similar to lunar lander and a game so experimental that it can hardly be classified as a game. My weapon of choice is Unity.

I like every genre but few games get my attention. I'm like those obnoxious people that claim they can differentiate wines (oenophiles?) but with games  Gentleman

IMPULSEthegame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5811 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:30 AM »

Here we go:

My name is Matthias Falk. I am a web entrepreneur from Southern Germany / Switzerland. I have founded the start-up jacando.com, which is a social micro job marketplace for finding just about any helper you can imagine for a task in hand.

I am also a devoted gamer and I love indie games especially. During the building process of my start-up I learned a lot about making software, and so I decided to make my own little game IMPULSE, coming for all iOS devices.

I am gamer since all of my live, so this is a super exciting experience for me.
jaxon58
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »

Hi All,

My name is Carl Jackson and I work for a UK indie developer called Nomad Games. We were originally THQ Studios UK, but were closed last year and four of us formed Nomad Games.

We've just released our first game, Talisman Prologue, based on Games Workshop's classic board game. We're selling the game through our website and from some other portals, but we're also attempting to get through Steam Greenlight, which is proving a challenge!

Nice to be here, looks like a very valuable source of people's experiences.

Carl
AKRansom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5813 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »

Hello all;

My name is Tony Ransom.  I am about to begin my final semester of graduate school for an MFA from MICA's Rinehart School of Sculpture.  After spending most of my adult life in denial I have decided that I must now learn how to make games or live the rest of my life in regret.

My thesis will be a video game installation based on a simple concept that I have drawn up, so with any luck I'll be able to share my progress and learn a thing or two about how it's done around here.

Website = skelefactor.com
Twitter = https://twitter.com/Skelefactor
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5814 on: November 29, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »

Hello from Sweden,

I used to have an account here that is now gone (and I don't even remember what name I used)... Found my way back here looking for inspiration for java4k 2013. Have been hobby-designing and programming games forever. Worked on (mostly unreleased) games for MSDOS, Linux, PalmOS, GP2X, Java (applets), HTML, Android, OSX..., in addition to non-digital board/card/dice games.

Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5815 on: November 29, 2012, 12:40:21 AM »

Pretty certain I've already posted in here but I guess I'll post just in case it's just a figment of brain-vacation.  Durr...?

Ahoy folks, I'm Kyle Riley, AKA Neonlare in a lot of circles, I've been on the TIGsource forums for a heck of a long time and been involved with a few random projects online all over the place from BYOND to MUDs, Ludum Dares and likewise. Sadly a lot of these projects have gone the way of the dodo but I've always been more about the journey of making a game than just the end result.

Pretty much dabble in everything from Programming to Graphics Design (2D and 3D) and a lot of Music composition. Been making music now for a good 4 to 6 years now and have tried pushing for different genres with each track.

If you want someone to collaborate with or just need something done, just send me a PM and I'll cook stuff up and whatnot. Been posting games around on the forum for a while now, so it's always been a pleasure to talk and discuss game development with the fine folks here, even if I have been pretty much a lurker most of the time.  Noir
Brotoad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »

I'm Brotoad!

I make graphics and designs and stories or whatever for my games and I hope one day one of those games will get finished.

My favourite games are Cave Story, Rayman 2, La Mulana, Wario Land 3 and Tombi.

Our game is called "Star Captain" and it is a shoot em up but with an explorational feel to it, you can see various things i've made for it here! http://brotoad.deviantart.com/

That is pretty much it.
Chaotic Kitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: November 29, 2012, 06:24:51 PM »

I'm Alix *curtsies* nice to meet you all.

My husband and I make videogames as Robot Loves Kitty, and live in a tree house most of the year so we can afford to work on our games full time.
I do art, design, boring business stuff, and can make dolphin noises!
We both were self taught, and are still learning how to make good games and market them.

Currently we are working on a co-op roguelike-like beatem'up "Legend of Dungeon"  and recently launched a Kickstarter that we are very excited about!

Our previous works are Tiny Plumbers, and Neverdaunt:8bit(2011 IGF nominee)

stitch in time is still work.
Samuelboucher
Level 0

The only way out is through

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5818 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »

Hi!

I'm Sam, a freelance illustrator and I want to makes games.

I have a t-shirt brand : http://monsieureureka.bigcartel.com/

And a blog : http://etrangevoisinage.tumblr.com/

I like Dr Seuss, designing logos, Rayman, World of goo, Fez, fall season, snowboard, jelly belly's, passionate indie game developpers, creative people, Lemony Snicket, virtual worlds where you lost yourself in, vectors, bright colors, ginger flavoured coffee, red velvet cake, girls in winter, sailboat, and you.

Please contact me if you like my stuff, I'll answer to every emails.

gerafin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: November 30, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

This is going to be short and sweet...
I'm gerafin. I'm currently making a game using GameMaker. I'm mostly joining here so I can follow projects and feel inspired, but as I might start a devlog for my project, I felt I should introduce myself. I'm a pretty well-rounded gamer and I would like to be a well rounded developer as well, although I am entirely self taught and it often feels like an impossibly daunting task to be even halfway decent at what I'm attempting. I'm just starting my game development journey, and I'm glad to have resources like TIGSource that might allow me to trick myself into thinking I'm a developer long enough to actually finish something.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic