Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:50:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1907771 times)
endrift
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5840 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »

Hello all! I'm Jeffrey and I'm pretty tragically terrible at intros. I hail from the venerated land of Silicon Valley and am currently working at a respected software house, albeit not one involved with gaming. Writing games is something I've wanted to do for over a decade, and have worked through various stages of fumbling with ZZT and MegaZeux, poor skills in C++, basic BASIC, foibles in Flash and eventually managed to get enough skill to actually write some things. From 2004 to about 2007, I wrote a lot of PHP, and learned a lot. One of these things I learned was that PHP is a terrible language. I wrote some stuff for the PSP homebrew scene in 2007 or so, and it was horribly written, but I learned a lot in the process. Sometime during college I had some grand awakening and actually figured out how to do software engineering. Took me long enough!

I was one of the lead developers (well, there were no non-lead developers, really) on the entirely poorly constructed and executed game Leges Motus, which was (apparently) based on the Game in Ender's Game. I've not read it, but the game doesn't play that well considering it's multiplayer only, has no servers, and (in the stable version) all the logic is client side. The dev version is pretty dead right now, and was exceedingly buggy. Nonetheless, my friend and only remaining developer on the project (who I think works at Turbine now) still kind of wishes I'd work on it.

More recently, I decided to sharpen my skills on something more outrageous, and wrote a Game Boy Advance emulator in JavaScript.

No, I'm serious. Go ahead, try it out.

I also wrote a game for it as an entry in the GitHub Game Off, which I hope to win, but don't really think I have a chance, given that no one seems to have noticed it exists. That's also playable online (although I recommend playing it on an emulator that's NOT written in JavaScript).

I'm looking to start getting into more serious and/or commercial ventures, however. It seems that the aforementioned software house does not like me working on external projects, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get into it, but here's hoping!

And now, for the hell of it, here are some games I love, in alphabetical order:
  • Bastion
  • Cave Story
  • Mother 3
  • Psychonauts
  • Riven
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • Super Metroid

And some fun facts about me:
  • My first handheld console was a Sega Nomad. No, really.
  • I played about a third of Spyro before I realized that PS1 games needed memory cards. I was used to N64 games.
  • I beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles before I beat Sonic 3, which I eventually beat in 2006. The final boss of Sonic 3 isn't in Sonic 3 & Knuckles!
  • I have a backlog of over 80 games, most of which are Steam games. Accursed sales.
  • I beat Portal 2 within 48 hours of it being released. I would have beaten it sooner, but I had to sleep because I had a final the next day.
  • I own a Sega Saturn, and have 6 games for it. None of them are good.

And also some codenames for game concepts I worked on but ultimately failed:
  • Project Stinger (Flash, 2006 or so)
  • Project Brainfreeze (C++, SDL, 2006 or so)
  • Persistent Phoenix/Beneath (C++, SDL/OpenGL, 2008/2009)
  • Gravity (iOS, 2009)
  • Nirvana (never actually wrote any code for this one, 2010)
LordDarkshayde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »

My name is Edward and I'm an aspiring game designer and a novice C# programmer. It is my hope to find like minded people to create some new and fun indie games for the entertainment of the masses.
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »

Hi everyone here at TIG,

I am new to these forums and I was directed here by one of the guys I have started a company with.

We have a small company that makes iOS games and we have both been working on our own titles and also do some freelance work to get some food in the fridge Wink

Our company is called Pixeleap and we chose the name as a representation of computers and the fact that we are taking a leap of faith by starting a company Smiley

We have recently released our most ambitious iOS game so far and it is the 5th game we have released total, so we are starting to feel mature as a company, even though we are still in the start-up fase.

We love talking to other people in the industry and we love helping out, so if you have any questions about iOS games in general or maybe on what you can expect from using ads in your game or maybe specific programming advice, please feel free to contact us at any time:)

Sincerely
Peter
Pixeleap
jmptable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: December 13, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »

Hi I am. Sleepy.

I am about building things. I build whatever strikes my fancy, in hardware or software. I often fancy building games. I like short things because my attention span is small. I like obsessing for a few days or a week or two and then remembering I'm in a hard cold world where excessive mental floating cuts you quickly out of the gene pool.

I'm in school and still young and naive and happy, for the most part.

I value fresh air so I am constantly frozen. I found fans in the garbage around the labs where I am. They keep me cold and thoughtful and looking for warmth.

It's important to seek warmth. I think it is warm here.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

If you are sleepy you may take a nap or have some coffee!

jmptable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: December 13, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »

Coffee is a love, but at this stage in our relationship we've grown complacent and lost zest.
Naps are the entrance to the what-the-world and to be avoided at cost, if payable.
If I am sleepy I know I am living - death is for rest, right?
Holden0905
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: December 13, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »

Hey, Im Holden!  I'm currently a graphic designer/fashion designer/illustrator at Bioworld Merchandising. I design Headwear for various licensed tv shows, movies, video games, and comics including DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Looney Tunes, Sesame Street, Nintendo, Sega, Call Of Duty, Mortal Kombat, Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc. We sell our product all over the world at places like Walmart, Target, Spencers, Hot Topic, etc. We are probably most noted for our Bigface Cookie Monster tshirts and hats.

In my free time I love drawing,  playing video games, and creating video games. You can look at some of my works and holdenhostetler.net.  I have been creating things ever since I could remember. My aunt was a graphic designer and she showed me how to draw when I was a little kid. After that I would continue to learn from trying to draw like the comic books and video game box art. The most memorable games in my life were probably the Mortal Kombat series for Sega Genesis. Me and my brothers would be playing basically non stop, but I would take some breaks, while they continued to play, so that I could create my own mortal kombat characters. Ever since then I wanted to create my own games.

Recently I have started creating my own iphone games in my free time under the name Holden Design Works.

The first game I released was called Source Switch. I wanted to do a retro type game with influences of techno and dubstep. Here was my synopsis for it: Enter the digital world of "Source Switch" Here you will jump from pad to pad while dodging oncoming enemies in this exciting runner game. Choose from a variety of modes including Normal Mode, Time Challenge, and Infinite Mode. In Normal Mode you must reach the end of the level to beat it. In Time Challenge you must get a certain amount of points before the time goes out. Infinite Mode is where you try to get the highest score possible! Once you have gotten the highest score play it again to try to beat your old high score! I wouldn't call it a great game but it is fun, and I definitely learned a lot. Its free on the Itunes store so check it out

I have quite a few more games in the works, including a game called Scrambleland with a cute Egg character that I came up with that will be released soon with added levels every couple of weeks.

Let me know what you thiink!
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5847 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »

Coffee is a love, but at this stage in our relationship we've grown complacent and lost zest.
Naps are the entrance to the what-the-world and to be avoided at cost, if payable.
If I am sleepy I know I am living - death is for rest, right?

I like you already.

manu_nc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5848 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

Hi there!

I'm another game lover, and my love began since the old C64 days. For the past 6+ years I've been working as a Web developer (a pretty boring job if you ask me). Currently I'm triying to invest some of my spare time on indie-games related stuff, from developing ideas (with GameMaker) to writting things.

If anyone have some reading to spare and speak spanish feel free to visit me at:
http://manusgamingblog.blogspot.com/

See ya!

Disclaimer: I'm not a native english speaker...

(BTW play Footbrawl Quest at the Sport Compo, you wont regret... Wink)
andypaxo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5849 on: December 13, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

Hey! I'm a long time lurker on this forum. I play games and occasionally try making them.

And I once tried selling a game. It wasn't very good. Made two dollars and forty nine cents. Which RIM never actually paid me. I want a cheque for $2.49! A big, novelty cheque, like they get on the TV, dammit!

Look at a game I started making about being stuck in a Cave.

And now I'm working on a my super, blockbuster, epic, mind-blowing, super-secret, be-all-and-end-all magnum-opus. Aren't we all?
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5850 on: December 14, 2012, 02:24:27 AM »

Hello! My name's Michael Cook, and I make and research games. I've posted an introduction before but I've changed focus a bit since then!

Anyway. Here's what I look like holding an invisible basketball:

If you prefer me to be holding a bigger basketball, there's always this photo? My point is, people take photos of me while I am gesticulating wildly. This is not my fault!

I work as a PhD student at Imperial College in London, where I'm looking into AI techniques for autonomous game design - software that can make games without humans getting involved! I'm building an AI called ANGELINA that tries to design games with as little help as possible, but because I work solo mostly, and because I find myself coding lots of little template games to help ANGELINA publish its results, I feel a bit like an indie sometimes! Certainly, the indie community has been very kind in welcoming me in and talking about my stuff.

I do make games just on my own too, but they're not much to speak of yet.

If you'd liek to know more about ANGELINA, you can check out the website or just drop me a message!

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
inverse42
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5851 on: December 15, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »

Hi!

I've been making games as a hobby since the Commodore 64 days and professionally since 1998 or so.  I've been lurking here for quite a while, and I'm thinking it's about time I jumped into indie development again full time.  I really enjoy seeing all the different things people are working on!

I'm primarily a programmer, though I dabble in audio and design, or anything else that happens to need doing.

You might find me on other boards as inverse, inverse42 or kreyg.

See you around!

Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5852 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »

Hello! My name is Tomas "Frooxius" Mariancik and I'm new here :3

I've been making amateur games since I was 12 (that's when I got my first computer), embarrassingly enough in PowerPoint at first - simple click&point games. They were terrible,  but hey we all started somewhere and I've been teaching myself the whole time and learning from all the mistakes I've made.

Of course, soon I switched to scripting and later fully fledged programming languages and worked on many games, even actually released some of them on the Czech freeware game scene and started writing game development tutorials as well. Of course, my early games were very amateur looking and full of mistakes, but again, I learned from them and I think I learned a lot, both about game-design and programming/computers.

I made a compilation of games I made before I started high-school, my early (dumb) games, so if you want to get a laugh, you can look :D It's a bit long though, they're in chronological order and only some of the games I made and that didn't get lost (most significant - for me) are here:

By the time I started high school, I stopped devoting so much time to game-development and started focusing on my different project - I started developing experimental processor architectures and associated programming languages (developing formal specifications, compilers, emulators and physical circuits using FPGA) and actually managed to create architectures with some abilities that contemporary CPU's lack. I've even participated with these at some science fairs, including Intel ISEF 2012 and even won a grand award there.

This success actually gave me the courage to quit university that I just started without even finishing the first year, because it was honestly just frustrating me and felt like a loss of time - I've always been teaching myself what I needed, so the only reason I went there was to get a degree and because I was quite afraid to actually do something else.

But like I said, the success I've had with my work and things I saw and heard there gave me the courage to pursue my dreams and my ideas and start my own company - creative studio. And with that, I've also returned to my game developing passion. So here I am, working in my first indie title (and a bunch of other things in the background), trying to get started.

I've always liked to create and game-design is one of my most favorite ways to express creativity. It's a way I can turn my ideas and imagination into living, interactive reality. I love when people give me feedback and tell me what they think about what I've made, it always makes me happy.

But I also like other forms of creativity. I also like to write, whether it's a story or a tutorial/educational-article - I like explaining things to people and making them understand even complex concepts in a simple way (I published this on CodeProject for example). I've also done amateur film in parallel with amateur game-design and sometimes I also try artistic photography or digital drawing. And of course, there's science and research, which is also essentially form of creativity and I want to continue developing new technologies as well in the future, although it takes a bit more time than a simple game ^^'

Here's the game I'm currently working on:

You can see some of other things I wrote in English here (mind you the blog is relatively fresh, so there's not that much there yet, but I've looked more in detail on the topic of leaving university, the education system and self-education in my posts if you're interested in reading that):
http://blog.frooxius.com

And this is how I look like, one of few photos where I don't look absolutely atrocious (which is why I prefer to be at the safe end of the camera :D )
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:54:18 PM by Frooxius » Logged
razu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5853 on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

Hey! I don't think I ever introduced myself..

I'm Jamie Lowes. Born in England in 1976!

I have played games since the Atari 2600 was the thing to have. I then moved on to home computers ZX81, Spectrum, Amiga.. where I started programming.. It was about this time that the arcades were MASSIVE and Street Fighter 2 was THE GAME. I played that game so much, and had to have a US import SNES to play the 60Hz version..

Since then I've played mostly on consoles and handhelds. Highlights being Gears of War, Burnout Paradise.. and more Street Fighter :D

I went to university and got a degree in Computer Science, then got a job at Codemasters in 1997. The first game I worked on was Colin McRae Rally on PC and the original playstation! I then worked on CMR2 and 3. I moved about a bit, but did join Sega to start up the Racing Studio and worked on the handling of Sega Rally (Revo), and... I got to program the motorised seat and force feedback steering wheel of the arcade machine!! Japanese people came over to talk about programming the prototype seat and everything, it was mad!

I then moved to Bigbig studios to work on the PSP version of Motorstorm, and then became lead programmer on.. Little Deviants on VITA, not exactly the highlight of my career, but the game was ready for launch!! Sony obviously loved the game so much they shut the studio down!

With about 15 years of experience under my belt I thought it might be time to go freelance, so I set up the gloriously titled Jamie Lowes Development Services Ltd. and went to work! That was this February, and so far I've worked on iOS prototypes for Sega, Dirt Showdown for Codemasters, Go Deliver for Midoki and I'm currently helping Sega out on an iOS title that's out soon! So it's been a busy year..

But where would the fun be in starting just ONE company..? At some point in the summer I started messing about with Unity. I wanted to make an arcade touchscreen game with awesome controls. I played around with applying forces to a simple box, and tried to get it to feel like a helicopter.. I kept going and now the game, called Chopper Mike, is a month or so from launch on iOS/Android/PC/Mac, and OUYA!  :D I started a new company just for my indie games, and that's called.. VAMflax!

Here are some videos of Chopper Mike...

And if you go to VAMflax.com you can play a demo that isn't anywhere near as fun as playing with touchscreen or controller, as you have to use keys..  Sad

There's also a prototype for a potential next game, Captain Jatobe, a nice relaxing boat game. The name is my name Jamie, mixed with my son's Toby, (Tobe), and he came up with it. The big plan is to establish an indie game brand that he can come and work at when he's old enough..

So yeah, that's me!!

chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: December 15, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »

Hi, I'm ... mmm ... confused on what to say, let's me scroll up a bit to see what the other guys said in their introductions ...

Well, okay, let's see, I'm a game developer, who is mostly a programmer, and is actually more of a game designer than I am a programmer, and ... that's it I think for the moment Tongue

Anyway, nice to meet you guys, cheers for all of you! Beer!
(and coffee for those who are frantically working on their ludum entries! Coffee)
teerex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: December 15, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »

Hi everyone, my name is Danil (aka teerex)

Long time ago, as a kid, i was making games on my first computer, zx-spectrum. However, never public released anything.

Then i switched to another things (like making web sites, my own small business, etc.).
And now my interest in making games comes back.

So here it comes:
Original (maybe 1991 or so. ZX-spectrum emulator)
http://torinak.com/qaop#128#l=http://intome.ru/zx/ice_robot.tap

Remake (2012, just released. Go vote on kongregate Wink )
Dreaming of Moon

I'm really interested in making games for children. Maybe you will see something worthy soon.

I'll be glad to recieve support and feedback of my works.
Saitodepaula
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5856 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »

Hi everyone,

my name is Marcos, I'm from Brazil.

I have been playing games and video games since I can remember, so I can't even say what was the first game I played.

My first computer (not actually mine, it was my father's computer) arrived home when I was 11 years old. And because I was always trying to run games in it that for some reason never would run easily, I made many weird things with that machine, and because of that, I think I began to evolve my problem solving skills.

It was just recently that I thought about making games, after playing for some years with softwares like Blender, GIMP, AutoCAD, CorelDRAW and InkScape.

And now I'm giving it a try, I think soon I'll be posting here in the TIGSource community about my games.

Marcos Saito de Paula<br />Beans Entertainment<br /><br />Try our game: www.torathegame.com
fancyCritter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5857 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »

I am an artist and a web developer.

I was influenced by the creatures series, the petz series, diablo2, little big adventures 2, zelda, pokemon, digimon, the witcher 2 and other girl stuff...
Aidan63
« Reply #5858 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »

Hi everyone I'm Aidan.

I'm a 15 year old student living in the UK.  Gentleman
Currently I'm in my last year of GCSE's where I hope to continue onto A-Level to study computer science.

My latest project that I hope to complete is a game called _speed_, a top down futuristic racing game inspired by WipEout.
I remember playing WipEout on my playstation 1, everything is excellent about that game from the aesthetic, controls, speed and the music. The music of WipEout is one of the most vivid things I remember about the game which is why I'm extremely excited to have permission from  Tim "CoLD SToRAGE" Wright (The man who made the music) to use his music in _speed_!
Felipe_9595
Level 0

Crusader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5859 on: December 17, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »

(derp, my post didnt appear)

Hello everyone, i am an 17 years old Chilean student (well, i just finished school) that dreams with being a game developer (but will end being an engineer :c). I am a music composer, a graphic designer and a mediocre coder.

I joined because i found this to be a nice forum, i hope i wasnt wrong ^^
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic