Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:10:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1952046 times)
lelex
Level 0

Dare to dive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5860 on: December 17, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

Hi there. My name is Lelex. I have a wall of text for you.

I'm a gamer. Primarily because there is nothing I've spent more time doing. (Not to say that it's ALL I did. but hours logged are hours logged.)Not just video games, but all sorts of games. Dungeons and Dragons has always been a huge staple of my nerd diet. Dozens of games like it followed suit. I played a lot of Magic: The Gathering. If it wasn't so damned expensive to keep up with the scene I would probably still play religiously. I love a good board game. The kooky small studio stuff is usually good for a couple hours of fun with friends, and I am not adverse to settling in for a long game of Risk (or Monopoly for that matter).

I've been playing video games since 1984.I was lucky to have parents who didn't frown upon my hobby of choice. If I had to pin down a moment where I decided I wanted nothing more than to make video games, it would likely be the day I dungeon mastered for some friends of mine.

It was the first time I felt like I had really engaged people. Sitting those guys (because girls just didn't do it, least none I knew) around a table for hours on end and leaving them chomping at the bit for more was the most satisfying experience I'd likely had. I was 11 and I knew I wanted to entertain people.

I've always been lucky enough to be surrounded with talented and brilliant people. Some of the best friends I have also happen to be some of the most phenomenal programmers I know. My brother, a professional game designer, writer and artist in his own right, has and will always be an inspiration. He laid the groundwork for pretty much every interest I had as a child, and most of the ones I have as an adult. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure who or where I would be without him.

My friends often became the target of my ambition. I would (frequently) do everything I could to convince them that we should make video games. I could draw, animate, and there was never a day that I wouldn't have something resembling a game idea or mechanic that excited me. But for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to take up the keyboard and get coding.

If I'm being honest, I wish I had. I wish I'd spent years codeslinging for anyone and anything and building everything I chose to. That's where the magic is. A super-secret set of arcane languages and symbols that have unfathomable potential and represent infinite possibilities. Maybe I never learned how to program because then I would have no excuse to try, and hence, no reason to fail.

I tried my hand at Flash. It was fun, I made a game with a good friend of mine. Looking back it was pretty lame, but it sold. Then, life happened and I was reduced to an army of one. Least I had a job. It just wasn't making video games.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with working for other people. I also enjoy working with other people. I do not, however enjoy being unable to express myself freely.

Fell in love with the Unity 3D platform early on. Broke my 3DSMax crutch and learned to work in Blender. Did a training montage on 3D sculpting in ZBrush/Mudbox. Wracked my brain trying to figure out normal mapping. It's been an endurance trial, for sure. And I've barely gotten started.

I'm still no programmer.

uScript is a visual tool that allows developers to create game logic in Unity 3D without the arcane studies that come with learning to program. Granted, it is not a replacement for programming skills by a long shot. But what it CAN do (and does well) is allow someone like myself to actually build a 'thing'. I can create objects and make them interact as I see fit. The Unity engine is very flexible, and uScript plays heavily on it by not limiting the features you can take advantage of. It really it a blessing, and because of it, I am now able to build my own game.

Halle-fucking-lujah!

I hope that I can make friends, garner feedback, ideas, and a solid understanding of what actually makes games fun. I have no misconceptions as to my own limitations and welcome communication of all kinds when it comes to this project and process.

I'd love to hear from any of you regarding this or anything else you want to talk about

-Lelex
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:35:57 PM by lelex » Logged

\"Big money! Big prizes! I love it!\"
The Netocrat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:42 PM »

Hi, my name is Toby. I'm a playwright/futurist philosopher.

One of the main topics I study is the intersection of technology and art. I've been researching about virtual reality for a while and I'm certain that it's the next step of not just games, but entertainment in general.

I've started to write an immersive play for virtual reality, but I'm not a programmer nor a graphic designer. It's a fairly simple concept; a single unalterable event happen. The player's controls are restricted to movement. The only tricky parts are that I would need to do some kind of motion capture and it would need to be configured for use on the Oculus Rift.

If anyone could help me find my way around this community, it'd be much appreciated.

I work as an experimental writer for video games. If you want to see a different kind of story in a game, a download link to our beta is at http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38394.0
holliebuckets
Level 0

lover of all things nerdy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5862 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »

My name is holliebuckets.  I'm a lover of all things nerdy ~ avid gamer, phd student, kitten mommie, and wife-to-be of an indie dev.  Kiss  I love the indie community and try to be a part of it as much as I can.

Also, the ninja's -->  Ninja
ripatti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: December 18, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

Hello!

Sorry, I posted my topic in devlogs before than I posted message here.
But I didn't want to violate traditions of this forum Embarrassed

My name is Artem. I'm from Russia and my native language is Russian. Sorry if sometimes my English is very bad.

I'm programmer. I think I'm good programmer. I participate in some well known competitions for programmers like ACM ICPC, TopCoder and GoogleCodeJam (google it for more information). Now I'm studing in university and don't work yet. Now I'm traning for my last season in ACM ICPC.

Programming games is just hobby. Maybe it will grow to my main work when my sport programming career will finished (any another programming work so boring =_=).

Also I can draw pixelart in MS Paint Grin

I don't like modern games that have only graphics instead gameplay. I like simple looks but hardcore games with interesting game mechanic. Maybe it's because in childhood I long time played Dendy (it's pirate clone of NES that well known in Russia). Maybe it's because I always have not so fast computer and all modern games go on it very slow Grin In any case I'm trying to do my games simple, minimalistic, interesting and hardcore.

Hurra!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:46:19 PM by ripatti » Logged

Great Permutator devlog indiedb desura greenlight
exidl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: December 19, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »

Hello everybody !

exidl is my nickname, I'm 21, I've been browsing these forums since two weeks, and I'm loving these Grin. It talks a lot about indie video game development, which is something I'm deeply fond of  Kiss !

Currently, I'm a programmer, this is really the only thing I'm good at. Maybe I could try to model a realistic character, but I don't feel like an artist at all, I use Blender only to do basic animations or model format conversions, rrrr, artists are really lucky since they are able to produce awesome stuff ! Tongue

I've began programming at 14, with languages similar to BASIC, by making little unfinished games and playing around with the BlitzBasic suite, such as Blitz3D and BlitzMax. Then, one day, I've decided to force myself in doing something with the Quake 3 Arena SDK, and this is how it really begun : I've stopped thinking about how hard the C language was difficult everytime I've tried to touch it. Because I'm really enjoying it now! Smiley

Now I'm currently studying in an IT school, so I can fix my current knownledge about the C language. No need to ask me if I've already finished a game project : I admit I've failed all of them and learnt from my mistakes, I'm very ambitious, I can't do anything about it and I have to deal with it during my entire life. Concerned

Finally, I'd be very happy being part of that community, in order to share my current knownledge and past mistakes, and of course, getting your precious advices to grow better in that domain !

Oh I almost forgot, please forgive me if my english is bad, I'm a french native speaker Wink
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5865 on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »

Hellow Tig,

Hey, i'm just a guy that goes by the name of Trystin and I mainly do art and shit, as well as making games. I have been watching some stuff on the forums for a while now and decided to make an account. I have on and off been making games since I was about 11/12 when I started messing around with GM and that just eventuated into a general interest in the whole Indie games community, which led me into being an Indie. I live in the island Australia, but I originally came from California. 

And yeah... well that's me; Nice to meet you sirs Gentleman

tertalsoup
« Reply #5866 on: December 20, 2012, 03:41:03 AM »

G'day Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time registered member. Figured it's about time I reared my ugly mug and actually started posting. Grin

The names Craig, and I hail from Down Under.

I'm a uni student/chronic procrastinator and I like to dabble in just about everything, including art, music, theatre and LARP.

I could write a wall of text about myself but I feel I'd much rather get involved in the community and let people get to know me gradually. I look forward to contributing to the forums and getting to know people, and I hope to become a long-time member of the place.

Cheers!
Suese
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: December 20, 2012, 05:38:05 AM »

I guess I have to introduce myself..

I'm Suese,  I specialize in making authentic-styled retro games for game programming competitions such as Ludum Dare, Speedhack, TINS, etc.

I'm working on a project to help introduce newbies to the world of programming, as well as bring back the nostalgia of programming in my childhood

A link to my Ludum Dare profile here http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/suese/

You can try Retrocard here: http://danmckinnon.net/retrocard?id=1.

Though it is not ready for mass consumption quite yet.

Cheers.
Kikaimaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5868 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »

Hi Everyone,

So I'm developer. I've started a lot of games, finished few smaller ones and one big at my job. I started like 5 pokemon mmorpg games, even one as a high school project in Delphi Smiley. Each time I'm doing some game, pokemons haunt me and want me to start making another pokemon mmorpg!

Long story short, I'm making MMOjRPG (that has no pokemons in it), and I'm in need of help, so I go to this site, hoping to find some.

Oh and I like games, cheese, ice cream, regular stuff.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: December 20, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

New-ish here, lurking since early November.

I had made a whole bunch of crappy Visual Basic games back in high-school, and a few years later I got lucky and scored a job in the industry. Well, now it's been more than 10 years developing triple A games as an artist, and I think now I sort of need my own little long-term project in parallel. A game that's totally unlike what I do in my day job, and perhaps more closely in-line with 8/16-bit platformers that inspired me in the first place. Gentleman

I've a bit lost the pixel art touch since the ninties, so it'll be an excersize. I'm also a musician, so I'm looking forward to composing for personal projects too.

A couple months ago, I came across GameMaker, which was kind of the catalyst. I can do generalized programming alright (both Basic and in C), but am absolutely horrid at anything low-level or math-heavy. I don't want to deal with talking to screen buffers, directx APIs and all that support code that is required to get even a single pixel up on screen. Then came along GM, and my ears perked up!

The official GM forums' average user age seems to be about 14, so I looked for another community. This one looks most excellent, chill and creative, and it's home to a couple projects I had already been paying attention to!  Embarrassed
kttdestroyer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:49 AM »

Hi, my name is Jakub. I am a Psycho.  Evil

Kidding, well, my favorite games from the past would be settlers 1 (for amiga), technos games (for nintendo), sensible soccer (amiga). Then came PC, and my favorite games got to be Fallout 1 & 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Die by the Sword ("Eat steel beast!"), Colonization & Civilization (Not the newest ones through)... Well probobly few more, but dont remember right now =)

I can a bit of everything acually, i am generally creative and thats what i feel confortable with. I have studied photography, also film-making on a non-intensive level. I have done some story writing for fonline2238 fan base, some drawings, some photoshopping, misc stuff.

My current projects are, medium-long story and gathering a creative team to achive things on greater scale, which leads to game-making, and thats why i am here =)

This page looks intresting i must say, thanks the makers. Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:27:57 AM by kttdestroyer » Logged
Kiith-Sa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: December 22, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »

Hi people,

I'm a hobbyist developer training on various small project to get
enough experience to try selling my own games. I'm mostly a programmer
although I also have fun making 3D models. I do most of my coding in
the D language and C++.

My first experience with gaming was on Sega Master System and Mega Drive, but
I never owned either so I didn't play too many games there. The first gaming
machine I owned was a PC with a TNT2 and a Celeron 633 in 2000.

I started playing games like Might and Magic 6 and Neverhood.
Most of my favourite games are RTS's and RPGs. For RTSs, I enjoy
mainstream games like C&C, but I'm a huge fan of semi-experimental games
like Homeworld, Sacrifice and Earth:2150.

For RPGs, I like open-world games (M&M6, Morrowind) for their gameplay,
but also linear games with strong story (Xenogears, FF). My favourites
are probably Planescape:Torment, Deus Ex and Xenogears.

I also spent a lot of time modding, especially C&C:Red Alert 2 and the
original Unreal Tournament.

I'm hoping to eventually create a Homeworld-like game, but I think
I first need to learn the basics, that's why I'm working on smaller
projects right now.

WheatThinEthan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: December 22, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

Howdy everybody, I'm Ethan and my main jobs right now are schooling and making a game. I started with Sonic CD and Rollercoaster Tycoon, and have been playing ever since. I eventually came across my favorite series, MOTHER, and have been influenced to make my own RPG myself (still working in progress!).

My current game making skills are mostly relying on story, dialogue, and things like that, although my main concern for the past two months has been all about finding pixel artists and spriters.

There's not much else to really say, unless you're curious about last night's dinner...
PlantMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5873 on: December 23, 2012, 06:26:55 AM »

I make the arts, I want to make the cool stuff.
Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5874 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

Hi, I am Joh

I made many games,barely finished any. I usually stop after a complete stand alone version though so Its not like I just don't finish games I just rarely put all the features I originally plan. Could Say I aim to big.

Anyway, right now I am making a game and everything is going smooth

so yeah hopefully everything stays right! oh and if anyone would like to help me on art (Im pretty bad at it, my screenshot's art was made by someone nice enough to help) contact me.

BoonzGamez
« Reply #5875 on: December 23, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »

Hi. I'm Boon.
I've been around the forums for a while, but as I don't have much to say, I don't say much.
Ignore my avatar image, it is essentially an in-joke!

I don't remember when I was first introduced to gaming. Possibly my dad's Mac with Spin Doctor and that tank game thing. Or maybe his PC, with Doom 2 and the original Duke Nukem.
I haven't ever been to a decent arcade, and I only broke into console gaming a few years ago, so I can't comment significantly on that. I'm mostly a computer gamer.
I respect the old SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis games, and I dislike a lot of modern shooters, like all loyal indies do.
The Jumper series was when I found indie gaming, if I remember right. This may be why my tastes are partial (but not limited) to platformers.

As for creation, I found Game Maker when I was sub-teen (forget when), and have worked on many games for my own amusement (almost all of them unfinished) since then. Nothing professional!
Earlier than that, I would write down vague ideas for games in notebooks, which I still have.

I think my other interests are irrelevant for the moment.

I figured it was about time I post something here, just in case I ever start actually being social.

Um, I think that's it. I'll edit this post if something else occurs to me.

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:27:45 AM by Loonboondoggle » Logged
Magicflottant
Level 0

Flotte...

View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: December 24, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »

Hello,
I'm Magicflottant, a young french programmer. I play video game since I have three years old (on a GameBoy)  and I make game since five years. I began with RPG Maker, I tried various softwares : MMF2, Game maker, Construct... But finally I learned programming and especially C++.
Currently I develop my own multiplatform (Linux and Windows) engine based on OpenGL and DirectX, the Floating Engine. I have also old projects, you can find screens on my deviant.

Innomin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: December 25, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »

I am a person who is antisocial, and doesn't like to talk about himself on mandatory threads.

Innomin means 'anonymous' in a language I made up, though. Which I find hilarious.
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5878 on: December 26, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »

Hello! My name's Alex.

I'm in college right now studying political science, but I've been making games as a hobby since I was 13, primarily using Game Maker. I haven't actually finished a project for a few years, but right now I'm working on an adventure game that's coming along nicely. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to share it.

My absolute favorite games are Shadow of the Colossus and Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP,although Metal Gear Solid, Doom, Quake I and II, Bastion, Iji, and Half-Life 2 all have a special place in my heart.

I haven't been involved in the hobbyist/indie game community much and figured I should change that. I had tried joining the Game Maker Community and Game Maker Games forum before, but I haven't had pleasant experiences with either of them. The TIG forums seem awesome, though.

Lastly, I've got a game dev blog called Sassy Echidna Software I've linked to in my signature if you want to check it out.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
bavuwe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »

Hi, my name is Kristjan.

I am studying informatics and have been developing a game named Warfare & Havoc with a friend as a hobby. The game is finally finished, so i thought i would announce it so that the members of this community could give some feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic