Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:00:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1908161 times)
xeriku
« Reply #6040 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »

Hello, My name is Will/Xeriku,

I got into making games during my teens when I used ripped Final Fantasy IV graphics to make a small scale online multiplayer RPG game. From that time until now, I have desired to finally complete a game and begin my journey into making games for a living.

I am primarily a programmer, but I have been spending a lot of time lately learning level design and pixel art so that I can make a game that it somewhat decent looking. I've heard how great this community can be and I hope to stay here.
nightlight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: March 05, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »

Hello Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:28:25 PM by nightlight » Logged
64Mega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:05 AM »

Hello everybody.
I've been procrastinating with regards to joining TIGSource for agesSmiley
Anyway, I began making games from the second I found out about QBasic on an ancient Pentium 1 machine that ran Win 98. I was only 10 at the time.
From there, I progressed to Pascal, then on to C, had a brief fling with Game Maker, and all the while migrated over to C++.
My original inspiration was the NES; I really wanted to make games like that, my own worlds and such. Also, the complete and utter lack of games on the family PC drove me to desperation.

These days, I mostly wind up making platformers, often adhering to self-imposed NES like limitations. For this, I tend to use Game Maker if I'm feeling lazy, or C++ (Usually using SFML and a GME for music).
So far, I've made a slew of platformers, and one first person shooter style game, built from scratch. It's not very fancy, but can be played here: http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/exile/10869/

And finally, I'm a chiptune artist, focusing on music for games. Famitracker is my weapon of choice. Some of my music can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/mega1992

I look forward to making use of these forums.  Grin
toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6043 on: March 06, 2013, 04:36:05 AM »

Thanks, Impmaster!
And finally, I'm a chiptune artist, focusing on music for games. Famitracker is my weapon of choice. Some of my music can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/mega1992
These tracks are great - I'm really digging Tower of Illusion!  Hand Metal Left Smiley
fustytalons
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: March 06, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

Hello, my name is Leif and I've been working on games for the last 8 years. I started in school and I've been in the game industry for the last 3 years. The first title I worked on was called Bust-n-Rush and I'm currently helping with another title called Whispering Willows. Some favorite games include Guild Wars, BF 2142, Civ 5, League of Legends, and I have of course always loved/grew up with the classics Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, etc...
Ian Morrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6045 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »

Geez, some of you guys are setting ridiculous standards for introduction posts. This is going to seem lame by comparison, but here goes...

I'm Ian, and I've been into games amd game development since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of "Dark Forces" and "Raptor: Call of the Shadows" that pushed me over to the "I want to make these things" side, but the list of games that have inspired me along the way is too long to enumerate. Some of my favourites over the years have been Tribes 2, RUSE, and, well, everything Valve makes.  These days I've been playing an unhealthy amount of Minecraft, X-Com and Planetside 2.

I'm an artist and programmer by trade. I learned both early, then for some reason felt that I needed to choose one or the other when I went to university and went for a Computing Science degree. I then somehow parlayed my 8 years of goofing around in C++ into a job where I goofed around with 3DS MAX as a Jr. Technical Artist at a serious games company here in Edmonton. While I'd have never seen this coming starting out, it's not that much of a surprise that I've found myself increasingly in generalist roles instead of specializing.

These days, I'm working full-time as an indie developer (aaaaand cue the shameless plug). I've been doing art, programming, and level design for a game called Life Goes On, a puzzle platformer about traversing a gauntlet of deadly traps via the sacrifice of an army of expendable medieval knights.

The community here looks like a whole lot of fun, and I hope I've got something to contribute while I'm here!

Owly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6046 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »

Hi everyone!
This is Daniel from Germany and after years of simple voyeurism, I feel the urge to expose myself. Well, hello there!

I feel old, like to stay at home and drink a lot of orange juice. And I make games (among other things). My latest release also happens to be my first English one:
Whiter Than Black
I did it for a game jam. Three days, first time using Adventure Game Studio (for I plan to use it for much bigger projects again) and with one rule: No white, male lead. So this is a game of questions and answers, starring a black politician who believes to be white. He has to make the Congress believe as well by answering questions the white way. It's not about fun gameplay, but using gameplay to nail the theme.

My other notable releases are Kill Switch, a surrealistic and untranslatable Adventure type of game (dialogs were mostly written using free association and Écriture automatique). It was done for a very restricting contest using RPG Maker 2000.
Kill Switch

Then there's lucid dream no. 1, which is less of a game and more of an interactive scene where you guide a man through a lucid dream. Again, it's done for a very restricting contest using RPG Maker 2000.
lucid dream no. 1

My worst weakness is my atrocious lethargy, detaining me from getting my stuff together outside of situations of deep pressure (meaning: I can't get things done if my life doesn't depend on it). I have high hopes for this to be cured in the near future.

I'm a gamer since very early. My first games, I guess, were Rick Dangerous und MicroProse Soccer. Besides a fine dance I developed based in Rick's dying animation, that wasn't a very inspiring time for me. I got serious to an unfunny extend when the Playstation arrived. I loved the feeling of pioneering, that seemingly every game tried something new.
Nowadays, I don't play much. I prefer Adventures, classic Brawlers, Survival Horror and RPGs. My favorite games are Suikoden 1 + 2. Sometimes I'm for silly fun, but mostly I seek the same kind of meaning in games, as I do in books and movies.

I work as a software engineer, recently write for German site Adventure-Treff and I blog. So at least it seems I'm vaguely productive. I don't program much in my freetime, but rather use tools like GameMaker, RPG Maker and whatnot. My current project is a puzzle/Arcade game called Hard Determination, which looks like this:

I'm really looking forward to get a few pushes in the right direction here and have a good time!

Squize
Level 0

Lost forever in a happy crowd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6047 on: March 08, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

Hey everyone,

My name is Squize, and here's my brief potted history, like a drowning man.

I started way back with a ZX81 ( I'm old ), moved onto a Spectrum then a C64, where I finally learned how to code in assembler, then the Amiga 500 and finally the 1200, which is still the best machine I've ever owned.

On the Amiga I released a Uridium clone called "Torque", and I think this is the only picture of it online anywhere ( You can tell it was a massive hit )

Soon after that I discovered I prefered real life and all it's vices to computers, so I didn't touch one for years.

One day I stumbled upon JavaScript, and I was sucked back in. Shortly after I discovered Flash ( Flash 5 was just coming out then, with it's at the time sexy dot syntax actionscript ) and that's been me ever since.

I knocked out a couple of games, this was way back before sponsorship and in game ads were a thing, and reading about the dot com bubble thought I was going to be a millionaire, drinking Unicorn tears on my gold boat never having to work for anyone again. Ever.

I started working at Preloaded as a Flash game dev shortly after. In spite of it being a tread mill of adver-games I was lucky in that they're weren't the usual faire, they were actually huge projects that were for the most part great to work on, and I was fortunate enough to be there when the company were agency darlings.

I left there after 2 years 2 days, as quiting has to have some sort of symbolism to it. From there I was a founding member of Stimunation, which eventually lead my friend Olli and I to splinter off to form GamingYourWay.

The first year of GYW was spent being freelance whores, we'd take any and all games thrown our way. There's nothing like making something you're really proud of only to have a client take a big steaming dump on it at the 11th hour, so broken by that we pretty much turned our backs on all that filthy filthy agency money and followed the sponsorship route.

We've had varying success, from bombs like the stage3D powered DN8:Pulse,

http://www.turbonuke.com/games.php?game=dn8pulse

to our biggest "Hit", Outpost:Haven,

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/586969

Never one to milk an IP, we also released Outpost:Swarm and we're currently working on Outpost 2 ( And after finishing that you'll have to put a gun to my mothers head to force me to make anything even losely connected with shooting aliens ).

And that's me. I'm hoping to be a useful productive member of the community here, but in all honesty I probably won't be.

Squize.

FatBasic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6048 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

I'm Mark and I've been developing games for a long time..
Actually I've started making my own games back in 2003 when I was 13, at that time using the tool Game Maker.
From Game Maker I've moved on to Microsoft's XNA and started learning C#, and from Microsoft's XNA to the Unity3D engine.

This January I graduated in "AP graduate in Computer Science - speciality in game development", and now I'm studying further computer science at the university.

In June 2011 I founded the company Gameloupe with a friend of mine, and August 2012 we merged with another company called Pixeleap, and decided to stick with the name Pixeleap. In January 2013 I've decided to leave the company to study computer science at the university.
In the time I was part of a company I've been head programmer on the released titles:

Wacky Dragons (Remastered for iOS) http://itunes.apple.com/app/id578560684

Wacky Dragons (Windows Phone) http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/wacky-dragons/5e6c84bc-35b3-4656-aa00-eb145df4ca5a

Ball Factory (Windows Phone) http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ball-factory/7bbe4a08-0590-4128-8b3b-9e84e604800d

Currently I'm working on a minor FPS title in Unity3D, which I expect to put up on TigSource for feedback when I've got something worth playing Smiley

Screenshot from Wacky Dragons for iOS:

_arnulfo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6049 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

Hey, my name is Daniel Orellana.

I studied Illustration in Toronto, but I'd always been interested in games. My first drawings are probably like 80% Sonic the Hedgehog.

I took some game design courses during university, which introduced me to the local Toronto game dev scene. I started to teach myself programming about 2 years ago now, mostly because I'm vain and want to see my ideas realized. Being an artist first, my approach is more content driven, for better or worse. Anyways, I hope to release a real game in the next few months.

I've usually preferred arcade experiences, and stylized art direction, however I never really started thinking deeply about the psychology of game design until I encountered those  developer commentaries in Half-Life Ep1. I guess for me game design is more fun than straight up art because I like to build worlds for people to explore.

So all in all I'm pretty newb and need to start showing my work. Nice to meet you all!

rasteroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »

Hey, I'm Erik Walle.

I went to the University of Waterloo for computer engineering. Since then I've specialized in large scalable computer systems, databases with lots of users, networking and system architecture in general. I've worked professionally as a computer engineer for the past 11 years.

I've worked on three large gaming projects professionally, and built another three in my spare time. I quit my job as a senior software engineer at Firaxis Games to start my own games company in hometown Vancouver, BC.

I enjoy the good life, lots of yoga and exercise, keeping busy, trying new games and playing the hell out of old ones. I don't normally go shooting my mouth off at forums, but well I've been learning about marketing and you have to start small!

I love TIGSource, they bring attention to some awesome games. Please try mine, I am proud of it!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31767.msg860507

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: March 09, 2013, 03:27:09 AM »

Hi  xeriku, nightlight, fustytalons, Ian Morrison, Owly, Squize, FatBasic, _arnulfo and rasteroid           

We're happy you're here with us!
Welcome!
zephyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »

Hello! You can call me John.

I'm a student currently pursuing a BS in Computer Science. I've always
liked video games and most of my early programming days revolved around
learning how to create, and creating, video games. The most attractive
thing about creating and designing video games, for me, is the ability
to release your imagination and create new worlds, to tell a compelling
story, to pull the player into the world of the game, and to leave a
certain impression on them, something they will remember.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, I hope I'll have some good time and
learn something along the way. Cheers!

StephanDedalus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: March 09, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Hola!

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and now that I have a game (the first of many, hopefully) to solicit feedback on, I think it's about time I become an official participant.

I work as a software developer in Seattle, and have a curious obsession with the Atari 2600. I've created 2600-inspired games before, mostly as a way to become familiar with a particular language or environment (Java, Python, etc.) Now I'm using GameMaker. I have not a commercial bone in my body, and am simply in it for love of the medium.

I've seen some incredible games here! I'm sure I'll see more. Now that I have an account, I'll be a little more conscientious about leaving feedback.

Please to be an active part of the forum,
Stephan Dedalus
aeveis
Level 0

some guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6054 on: March 10, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »

Hi, I'm Dan Lin. I've been registered for some time and I make (or try to make) experimental games of sorts. I'll be generally looking for feedback on my stuff. Smiley
thorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6055 on: March 10, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

My name is Jon Chang, founder and jack of all trades staff guy at Echelon Software.

Echelon is working on a new game that's part Syndicate and part Squad Leader(the board game). Here's a visualization shot that we are slowly bringing to life.

The game is set in our Black Powder \\ Red Earth universe, which is based around a 4 chapter graphic novel series by the same name that you can learn about here if so inclined: http://www.BlackPowderRedEarth.com

Taking a note from my old mentor at Splash Damage, Paul, we're building 2 levels at the moment. An art level and a gameplay level while we flesh out all the stuff that currently looks good on paper and seemed to play well as a board game. We have a campaign laid out already and we are hoping to raise some cash to let us focus on the game full time for a few month via RocketHub here: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/16025-black-powder-red-earth

Too much information? I hope not ^_^; I'm here to learn and to shamelessly promote what we're doing :-D Been lurking and following for a while but prior to now, not sure I had a whole lot to contribute. Hopefully that will change now ^_^

Thanks for having me.

j

"History is done with Appomattox moments." - Mark Bowden
themasquerader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6056 on: March 10, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

Hey guys!

I'm Ana and I'm the co-founder of Tavern Games, an indie game development company, which is one of the reasons I've joined this forum. The other reason is that, as a gamer, I've been rather disappointed by the last two AAA titles I've played so I'm turning my attention to indie games. And I'm really glad to have found this great community.

About myself, I believe in initiative, in letting your imagination flow, in striving to excel at what you're doing.  I've been working on various projects for the past 7 years as a programmer, however none of them has given me enough freedom to use my creativity at its full potential.
The opportunity came with the founding of Tavern Games and the Noverat project, where apart from my little bit of programming, I could finally put my imagination to good use and come up with the whole mythology for Noverat. So I've written most of the story for the project and designed a lot of the game mechanics system.
I'm also the evil mean manager at Tavern Games. I plan everything, set tasks, write emails, and take the cookies away from team members when they don't meet deadlines.

When I'm not working, I like to spend time somewhere in the middle of nature, ideally in forests and climbing mountains. I'm a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss.
Some of my favourite games are Diablo II, Vampire the Masquerade, Guild Wars 1, The Witcher 1, Thief, Prince of Persia, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Alpha Centauri, Planescape Torment, Unepic, Gothic.

My current goal is to make something beautiful out of Noverat, to recreate at least in a small measure that wonderful feeling I've had while playing all games listed above. Since the game is story driven, I hope we will be able to make it immersive. Because this is what I like most about playing and making games: not the endless clicking while killing enemies, but the fact that there a new world you can explore and a story you can weave yourself.

And to conclude here is a picture of me, smoking a light bulb as a symbol for ideas Smiley
I'll be back later with a post about Noverat.

Entrepreneur. Involved in several startups. Creator of Greatest Indie Games - showcasing a handpicked selection of indie games every month http://www.greatestindiegames.com/

Indie Game Developer. Made KEL Reaper of Entropy http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=274830824
MOKKA
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »

Hi there,

My actual name is Eric, I'm 28 years old, live in Germany and I'm a student of biological anthropology. I don't have a real background in Game development or in any other kind of creative field either. I just recently started to take my own ideas more serious and thus started writing, and last week I started making my first game. It's probably one of the weirdest and at the same time most rewarding experiences I had in my life. It's not only because I'm actually making something myself, it's also because the thing I'm making is very, very weird and I don't know how it got to that point.

Anyways, hopefully I'm able to finish this thing during the next few days and I'm really looking forward to share it with other people.

P.S.: It might be a bit late, but I need to thank Tigsource for somehow re-igniting my interest in Videogames back in 2008. Back then I thought the gaming industry lost its creativity. Then I discovered Indiegames and now I sit here in front of my PC and I just finished adding a flying piece of cheese (codename 'the moon') to my own game. So basically, everything you're going to see from me is ultimatively the fault of this community.
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

hey guys I've been doing game development for awhile, but I've never done any major projects. I mainly develop games for fun, not profit.
TribunalJGN
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:05 AM »

Hello TIGforums!

I'm Johannes and I am one of the three people that make up Tribunal Games.
My story of getting into gaming is pretty ordinary - a friend of mine growing up had an Atari, I coerced my parents into buy a NES, played a bunch of Zelda and a few other games on that back when I was 10 or so. From there I got into PC gaming and the old adventure games - Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, King's quest and even Prisoner of Ice (I was like 10 - scared the hell out of me). Some of my favourite games of all time include TES3: Morrowind, Eve Online and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Around when I was 13 I decided I wanted to be a programmer and I wanted to make games and then I basically stuck to that plan. I met Nissanthen, our resident Artist in Tribunal Games in the Danish equivalent of High School and Jakob our other programmer at University. When we graduated, we decided to make a game studio and we are currently hard at work on our first (publicly announced) game: Freebooter.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic