Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:29:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1943929 times)
JayJaySut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7800 on: September 03, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »

Hello, My name is Jason. I am 16 years old and an aspiring game developer. I have been making games since I was little and designed them on paper, I got Game Maker when I was about 12 and still use that today. I have made a couple of small games. My earliest games were PS1 games, and Gameboy advance games. The designers who inspire me are:

Shigeru Miyamoto and Edmund McMillen because they use games as a medium of personal expression, and because If it weren't for Miyamoto I probably would have never been interested in videogames in the first place.

Jonathan Blow because I like how he tries to respect the player, and make games that are meaningful and more than just fun.

Pixel because he made Cave Story just for the love of making games. He didn't expect money from it, he just had an idea and made it because he wanted to and for no other reason.

Will Wright because he makes games about things that games usually aren't about and sees the power of the medium to do awesome things.

Games are a big deal, everybody plays at least one videogame and I want to make games that aren't just enjoyable to play but take advantage of the medium to give a valuable experience to the player beyond just being fun, I don't think I have made anything like that yet (or will soon) but I'm still learning and will someday.

I also just really like making games. The act of creating something and playing around in a world that you made and getting reactions from people is really enjoyable.

ModalModule
Level 0

Composer for hire!! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7801 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »

Hello! My name is Stephan Kalani Seguin, I'm 26, and I am a musician.

I started out playing drums at about 9, but always had music dancing in my head, so when we got cakewalk installed on our computer, I started programming melodic music, long before I even started playing a melodic instrument.

At about 14 I started tinkering with keyboard, and by 17 I was ready for college.
I attended Musician's Institute in Hollywood, and graduated with an associates degree in keyboard, which included theory, ear training, performance, arrangement, digital music (recording, programming, editing, mixing, mastering, soft synthesis) and all sorts of other stuff.

I've loved soundtracks for movies and video games since I could hear! One of my first true loves was the original ninja turtles soundtrack. Smiley

My main lasting inspirations have been RPGs like final fantasy vii, star ocean the second story, and Valkyrie profile. However, my interests are far from limited to just orchestral styles: I'm in 4 bands currently, ranging from a jazzy jamband (keys), to progressive death metal (drums).

I love music, and I've made the choice to do it the rest of my life, but have yet to find a lucrative way to do it for a living, and quit my day job.

I've decided I have to broaden my focus to fulfill any and all needs of the people as a musician, be it gun for hire, session work, and of course, my true dream, soundtracks, of all kinds. I would love to make music for games, and I assure you I am more than capable.

My soundcloud(s) are in my sig, and you can find my on YouTube by searching "kalaniseguin" where I have live piano improv, and strange multi-instrumental stuff, as well as a true J-E-N-O-V-A cover. Wink

Thanks for reading, and don't hesitate to get a hold of me for anything, I am eager to be a part of this community in a true sense. SmileySmileySmiley

Ps, Disasterpeace himself gave me this site as a suggestion for connecting with devs.  He is my favorite currently active composer. :D

Composer for hire! If you need music, of any kind, email: [email protected]
Current OSTs: http://modalmodule.bandcamp.com
My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/stephan-kalani-seguin
My YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kalaniseguin
Vnator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: September 03, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »

Hi! I'm a college student and hobbyist developer who's trying to go beyond hobbyist. By that, I mean with every game I make, I extend the scope of what I accomplish with it. At first, I started making a bunch of scrap that I never finished, and then I finally made a game I could call complete! Now, I'm trying to make a complete game and try to make it somewhat popular. The popular part seems the hardest right now, though.

I really like RPG and adventure games, but I never seem to actually make one of those :/
Lukas_FWsim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: September 04, 2014, 01:43:16 AM »

Hi,

Lukas here from Austria.

I enjoy writing software, playing games and juggling.
In 2010, I released FWsim, a software for fireworks simulation. It is available as a game edition, and as a professional edition (used by fireworks companies, to plan their displays). I've posted about it in Playtesting: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43124.msg1057935

Looking forward to contributing!
LichiMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »

Hi,

My name is Miguel from Spain.

I work as a 3d artist doing rigging, shading, texturing and lighting.

I love pixel art since I played The Secret Of Monkey Island when I was a child, and now I want to make a game mixing Monkey Island and Another World/Flashback style... Hope I do it! Smiley
unomy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »

Hi, I'm unomy(nickname).

I'm a full-time game developer and also a part-time indie game developer. I started my career in the position of game designer, but since last year I changed my position to a mobile game client programmer.

Hope to be a full-time indie game developer someday, making my own game. I'm doing it in my spare time, but it's so slow. if I can get enough money with my own game, I just wanna quit my job and start my career as an full-time indie game developer.

Sorry for my poor english skill. Want to get along with you all.
Team Stendec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7806 on: September 04, 2014, 04:09:14 AM »

Hi all,

i am Christoph from Team Stendec an independent game development company I formed with a collegue from university where I work in the moment as a professor (and will probably till the end of my professional life). Before this I used to work as a programmer / lead programmer fulltime for big games (Splinter Cell, Ironman, Army of Two 40th day).

It is nice to be around here,
Christoph
motionTwin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7807 on: September 04, 2014, 05:18:07 AM »

Steve here from Motion Twin,

This is me:

We make games and such...

We're an independent game studio based in Bordeaux, France. We did stuf like Die2Nite, Mush, DinoRPG and more recently Uppercup Football on mobile.

We're dropping in to say hi. Our studio was the birthplace of Haxe and so if you have any tech question s don't hesitate to ask.

Have a good one,

Steve and the team from Motion Twin.

Yanifska
Level 0

www.yanivcahoua.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7808 on: September 04, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »

Hi there,

After spending time reading a lot of threads, I decided to jump to the water and present myself.
I am Yaniv Cahoua, 32 years old, I currently live in Israel but I grew and lived in France until 8 years ago (trying to justify my mediocre english).

I never had a game console, I played very few console games but I started using the computer at around 4. and I think I started programming in basic before being 10, I then toyed with Pascal, visual basic.
I never really succeeded in completing anything serious and I switched soon to 3d, and then graffiti and finally art and animation.
Today I am mainly an illustrator and motion graphics designer and animator.

2-3 years ago I started using unity and discovered the indie community, I was amazed by the quality of this community and I felt that I had today the tools I was lacking 20 years ago to make a game.
When my wife was pregnant, I decided that I had to finish at least one project in my life, so I can show my kid that it is possible to have a dream and make it come true.
So I decided to make a game and it was amazing because I felt that everything I had done in my life, coding, illustration, animation, 3d etc.... was finally used together for one big thing. It felt to me like I have been training all my life for this.

And here I am making my first reel project, and I intend to ship this time !!!
But this is another story for another post.
See you guys !

Squish Studios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »

Greetings! Gentleman

My name is James and I am the founder of Squish Studios LLC. I graduated from The University of Advancing Technology with a bachelor's degree in Game Design in 2012. Since that time I have been working with a talented couple of individuals on our company's first title: "Dragon Drop".

Dragon Drop is being designed for Android and ios. It is a puzzle platformer that allows the player to drag and drop in the platforms and other objects in order to reach the end of the level. Here is an older video you can check out if you are curious:

Note that we are still in alpha and the art is being updated. We raised $1,000 on kickstarter as well.

Breaking into the industry has been a struggle. I have been job hunting since graduation and have secured many interviews but have yet to land that industry job. I am making sure to keep busy in the mean time with Dragon Drop and improving my management abilities/gaming knowledge by working as a Gamestop store manager.

I'm really interested in getting to know the community here. The best thing about being an indie game developer is the vast amount of support you can give and receive from others. I look forward to learning, growing and getting to know you all. If you have programming(preferably Unity experience) or 2D art experience and are interested in helping a new studio grow please send me a message!

Cheers!

-James
Gymm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »

Hello everyone,
my name is Cole.  I am 26 and I currently work as a programmer at a small interactive tech startup in San Francisco.  Before that I worked at a mobile and social game company until it eventually went under.  So, because I can't work on games at work anymore I am working on games in my free time with friends.  Here is my list f games I think are worth mentioning, no one wants me to list everything >.<

Games I used to play: EQ, FFIX, FFT, FFXI, WOW, SSBM, Kirby StarCraft, Diablo 1&2, all the pokemon and MGS games.
Games I still play: Mostly games I can play on the bus to work, so phone and 3ds game. I usually try and keep up on what game are doing well but when have a dry spell I like to play puzzles games like Tripple Town.  When I do get enough time to sit down and play a console or PC game I usually play Dark Souls, The Binding of Isaac, or whatever game I can get my friends to join me in.
Game I want to play: A good rpg, any good local co-op game if I can get friends over to play.

My friends and I are starting out by making a couple games and releasing them for mobile, but eventually we will start making game for PC or Console. If everything goes well I hope to be able to stop working for other companies and start making games I want to make.
I hope that I can become a good fit here and get as much help as I can give.
Felx325
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »

Hi I am just starting in game dev... I am from Chile but I have american citizenship as well. I love horror games, FPS, and especially open world and/or sandbox. I am much more a musician:

Beer!
tsobral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: September 05, 2014, 03:32:58 AM »

Hi TIG community!
My name is Tiago, i'm portuguese and new to this forum.
I have a strong passion about videogames, started playing at the age of 8 (i'm 27 now) Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System II.

After being skeptical about trying playing that, i got instantly hooked and finished the day begging to my father for a Master System.
Wink

This is a silly game... Oh wait... More 5 minutes please!

Several months later i got my first console, the Super Nintendo, or, Super Famicon in Japan. I got a bit disappointed because i wanted a Mega Drive (ok, i really wanted a Sega Saturn, but it was really expensive back then. If i can recall maybe 400€-500€ nowadays plus inflation). But then, i never regretted having a SNES.
It came bundled with Super Mario All-Stars and i loved the eternal Sonic's rival! Since then, many games i played and got hooked, Mortal Kombat II, Super Mario World, SMW 2: Yoshi's Island (best Mario game ever!  Tongue), Top Gear 2, Super Mario Kart, Starfox, Blackthorne (awesome Blizzard's game), Super Punch-Out, ouchh... so many...

The beginning of many hours in front of the tv   Grin

Same year, my dad got a Pentium computer with Windows 95 and started messing with it. I broke down many times the damn computer, and learned a lot from that. At the time, i got a interested in MS-DOS and learned by myself from books, i loved the "low-level" of interaction with the computer. And my favorite past-time, playing MS-DOS and spending a lot of time with configurations (sound card, VGA card, etc.) to get them work "perfectly" (comes to my mind the human voice of the Warcraft II setup program Smiley.
So many games I played on that computer, Duke Nukem 3D, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Shadow Warrior, Age of Empires, Doom, and many others.

If you know this game, the theme song is playing in your head.  Wink

At the game development I started making my first game at the age of 15 I think. I've done a space shooter for MS-DOS with a friend of mine. It was simple, i made the graphics, part of the programming, he made the major of the programming.
We attended to the same classes of computer and IT on high school, I tried to make a improved version of our game with him in Dark Basic, but unfortunately the project stalled and gone to the trash.
We gone separate ways on the college years (different colleges) and he followed other interests related to computer science.
At the college I stayed at the same house of a high school friend, a guy very enthusiastic about videogames and I learned a lot from him. We tried to make a 3D FPS and to "recruit" some people at the college. But, my friend dropped out several months later.
And i gave up of my frustrating game developing "career", for nearly the six more regrettable years of my life... Sad

My crappy 3d gun... Well, that's something.

Still messing with 3D tools.

After a even more frustrating college experience, and some personal issues. I took the difficult decision of dropping college. I was in Electric and Computer Engineering by the way, realized too late it wasn't my calling.
The last year of college i took classes of Software Engineering, and Computer Graphics, I'm dropping college anyway, then I made it more useful for my personal interests.

A small game I made with C and OpenGL for an assignment. The teacher didn't like it, I didn't gave a f**k.  Cool

Some pixel-art concept of a project.

Well, life's not easy, I'm unemployed, dropped out of school, economical crisis, etc...
Anyway, my friend from the early college times agreed to work with me, since he's currently unemployed to, and we starting to work with some cool ideas. I hope we can make it this time.

And well, when we don't know which direction to take, why not give childhood's dream another chance?

Ryu with a moustache.  Gentleman

Sorry for my English.
Thank you for reading this loooong post, I hope I made the introduction right.
And cheers to you all!
 Beer!

onirium-games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7813 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:47 AM »

Hello there, TIG fellows!

Just like many others before me, I've been wandering around these forums for a while now. I needed a good reason to sign up and now I've got one: my first, complete (though very small) game is close to release!

And since it's an introduction thread, I'll write a bit about myself.

My name is Olivier, I'm French and living near the Alps, a wonderful and very inspiring place. I have always loved video games: I started playing when I was 7 years old on the first computer we had at home (that was around 1992). Back then the only game it had was a very simple hangman game in ASCII. The fact that this machine was interactive and responding to my commands was fascinating me.

Since then, I've been playing regularly, both on computer and consoles. It also kind of defined who I were, since all my friends were sharing this interest. When I was around 16, my curiosity led me to try game programming. At first it was simple basic, but then I progressed bit by bit, learned C++ and DirectX, OpenGL, Java, Javascript. I loved it but was far too impatient to finish anything.

As time went by, I had less and less time to keep doing that. I studied engineering and started working in the nuclear industry. Although the job was terrible, what I learned there inspired me a lot. I've always loved construction games, so I dreamed of games where you could build huge machineries made from hundreds of parts, each part as important as the next, built bolt by bolt, patiently, until the whole thing comes to life and you finally step back and watch it contently.

Well the job WAS terrible so I eventully quit and, thanks to a good friend, realized that I could very well try doing games for a while, as I always wanted.

So I created Onirium Games and gathered everything I've learned in art, webdesign and programming to create this website and my first game: Lava Rush. And I now just hope this is the beginning of a long adventure. Well, at least this will be an adventure for sure Smiley

Some games I really liked over the years would be:
- Tomb Raider: incredible game when it came out. The immersion was amazing, the environments were beautiful. God I've waited for this one... I still have veri vivid memories of it, especially the first fight with the wolves. The whole thing was unbelievable at that time.
- Dungeon Keeper: awesome concept, being able to control your creatures was enough for me to buy it right away. I also loved the design of the creatures and the environments.
- Conker (N64): just awesome, many gameplay mechanics and hilarious writing; defined my notion of creative freedom in game design!
- Minecraft: full of flaws and still, so enjoyable. I spent hundreds of hours on it. Inspired me to use Java+OpenGL for game programming (although releasing through java applet would be suicide by now). I will always admire the fact that this game created a new gaming genre.

There are many others of course!

Also a special hat tip to Papers, Please. This game made me finally understand that it was possible to create a great game with very few resources, and that many territories of game design were still left to explore.

Well, that covers it for now! Hope you enjoyed the reading, and looking forward to learning many things with this community  Beer!
Rain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7814 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »

Hi all, it's nice to be here!

My name is Ivan and I'm kind of a developer.

I like movies (currently, Wes Anderson's my favorite director), animation (anime included, with hm.. perhaps Shinichiro Watanabe being my favorite, if we don't count the recently retired Miyazaki), books (well, I know it's mainstream, but George Martin has made me read his books most intensively one after the other), music (Yoko Kanno, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, Daft Punk, Hans Zimmer, Sting, oh and many more..), ... umm what else.. ah it already got too messed up.

I guess having spent the last few months in a closed room without getting out has taken its toll on my social abilities.
No, not in prison.
Nooo, not a hikikomori either, just a developer, I told you. There was a project I was working on.

And, aside from trying to take over the world, I also have a plan to build one of these

Ha! How cool is that, eh?

Well, thanks for having this confusing time to get to know my messy persona, I guess Smiley

Cheers!

P.S. Aaa, forgot about that! What a better well-defining, personality-depicting, character-defining thing to say about oneself, than stating which is the best game of all time!
..Buut on the other hand, you'll hate me for that, so I won't say.
Ta-ta!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:09:19 PM by Rain » Logged
joelsandberg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7815 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »

Howdy. My name is Joel Sandberg, 22 years old from the home country of the Vikings, Sweden that is.

I've been working with games as a hobby for quite a couple of years now. I also just finished my studies in Music for Computer Games at the University of Skövde. I'm mostly doing personal projects on my own, hoping to get something out in the cloud that people hopefully will enjoy.

Besides making games I also play the piano. I like to compose my own music and put it out on the internet. Preferably combining making music for games. Smiley

Thanks for taking your time to read. I hope to learn a lot from this community. Grin

Best regards,
Joel Sandberg

My iOS games:
Fast Falling Cubes
chrisDeneos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7816 on: September 06, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

Hi everybody Smiley

I'm chrisDeneos, a french game developer. I'm also pixel artist and writter. I'm 20 years old, I'm in my last year of video games study. I began to create video games when I was 12 with rpg maker, learn pixel art by myself and wrote story. Now that I know how to code, I can do more complexe things.

Here is my portfolio, If you want to discover my previous games : http://christophegalati.fr/ (sorry, it's still in french, but I will change it when I will find the time !).

A friend told me about tigSource few time ago, so I'm registering now. I really want to enter a great indie game developper community, meet awesome people with the same passion as me.

I will soon introduce you the game I'm currently working on, I will make a devlog.It's a game for Game Boy's 25th anniversary Smiley

Have a nice day Smiley

Neon Serpent LLC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »

Hi, I'm James Beech.

I've been playing games since I was a kid; things like Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy.  When I went to University, I was mostly into Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy.  Now that I'm a haggard old man, I only play Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy; boy have times changed!

I kid, of course.

Anyway, while I was pursuing my fine art degree, I started making Unreal Tournament levels on the side; it was fun.  I studied up on that "game design" stuff, and eventually broke into the industry, working at Sony, Silicon Knights, and most recently Crytek.

Now I'm a one-man indie company, and I just released my first solo Art game, wee!  I'll be posting that soon Wink

On a related note, here is the company website:  neon-serpent.com
TRM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: September 06, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

Hi! My name's John Kurnett. I'm an eighteen-year-old entering his first year of college and trying to actually finish a project for once.

I've been playing games since I was a wee lad, back in the days of the GameCube. I really transitioned to PC gaming when I discovered World of Warcraft, Morrorwind, and Dwarf Fortress. Now I'm a hobbyist programmer, animator, and musician trying to get a game to a Kickstartable state and, eventually, release something worth playing.
Sandflapjack
TIGBaby

I love to eat sludge and slime.

View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: September 06, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »

Hello I am Sandra Ripley.
I am a 19 year old agender content creator and director from Ohio, United states.
I enjoy film quite much. Some of my favorites include Alien, District 9 and old godzilla movies.
My favorite games are usually platformers such as drill dozer and the classic megaman series.
Directing is my passion, and a goal of mine to get my vision out there and to help talented artists and programmers get what they deserve.
Anti-humor and 80s aesthetics describe my style of living perfectly.
I cant wait to work on some projects with yall sometime!!!

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic