Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:05:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1951217 times)
peejaygee
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8820 on: August 04, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »

Okies, where I start…

Puts on a Michael Caine voice… ‘My name is Paul, and not a lot of people know that.’

Ok, enough of the voice. So I’m a 42 yr old, who has been into computers since the tender age of 12, in one way or another. I started on a c16, that I managed to get my mum to buy for “educational” reasons. I also managed to obtain the full set of “INPUT“, if you remember that. INPUT was a magazine that was issued fortnightly, if I remember correctly. It contained basic source code for various machines, Electron, BBC B, C64, Spectrum 16 & 48K, and I think Dragon 32, but anyway, I started to type some of that stuff into the c16, and wondered why some worked and some didn’t. So I looked into it, and a couple of months later, and a walk around “Littlewoods” stores, who at the time sold computer related things, had a book on the “C16″ and I managed to convince my mum to buy me it, and after convincing her to give it to me then, and not wait until a special occasion, I set myself down and started to read, and read, and read, and eventually learnt why the programs were working, so with the exception of the really heavy programs (sprite based, etc) I managed to get a lot of the programs to do at least something. So I started.

So what happened next.
Ok, I had been messing around with this machine now for a while, and learnt sort of what I could, and what I couldn’t, and the main thing that I found out was the whole “run/stop & reset button” trick, which used to reset ya machine, into a “monitor”, ooooohhhh, what was this I though, so I looked into it, and saw all these things I could do, but I didn’t  know what I was doing, then I started buying some monthly magazines, and my world was starting to open. I started  finding out about “G” commands as in “G 2000″ or “G 4000″, and soooo it was born, the assembly language learning experience

The Assembly Language Learning Experience.
Right, I had opened the door the assembly language, well, I say opened, I merely nudged the door open, and peeked inside,  and I started to play, I loaded up games, and after finding the cheats, and restart command from a magazine, set about trying other things, and one of my first all time games I decided to rip into was “Gullwing Falcon/Gremlin Graphics”  ok, all I did was change text and stuff, but it was a start. Then (‘Hears Drum Roll’) I actually, one day, fired it up  without a game, and decided to go into the “Monitor” and mess around (using my C16 book for reference) and I got a  scroller born, so technically that was my break into “Assembly Language”.

What happened next.

So, a few years passed, and I mainly used the C16 for games playing, many a £1.99 was spend on the “Firebird Silver Range”, but one Christmas morning, I was totally shocked my mum had gone out and bought me a C64c, and I mean I was shocked, normally when your a kid, you have an inkling on what your getting, but this, nope well shocked, I think I spent the next few days up in my bedroom, playing the games I got with it. Then I managed to save up some money, and got some of my mum, and bought myself a 1541 disk drive (as i was finding Tape loading far too slow, although I likes the “Ocean” loading music, and many a time I would load up “Parallax/Ocean” just for the music on the title page), anyway, I digress,  so I bought myself a 1541, and at the time I had started a Saturday job working with my Uncle, delivering bread (yeah I know, boring you may say, but I was 14 I think, and it was way cool then), but there is a reason for the bread delivery tale, we used to delivery to a sweetshop, and whilst my Uncle was doing the business (so to speak) I used to look at the magazines, and one that caught my eye (and because I just had bought a 1541) was “Commodore Disk User”, so the venture began.

The Letter.
Ok, the heading might confuse a bit, but I will try to explain. After buying a few editions of “Commodore Disk User” and loading a few things off them, I came across a demo by a guy with the nicname of “TLH”, was impressed at this and stated to read the ‘scroller’, and at the end of the demo, was his ‘then’ name and address, and I thought, lets write to him. Anyway a week or two later, I got a phone call from TLH, and started to chat to him, and our friendship was born (passes the bucket). It started off with me ringing him here, and there, wondering what he was up to, etc,  as he was in the ‘industry’ and I was a mere mortal, but evertually over there years, the c64 talk slowed down, as  I was getting more and more proficient on my own, and the calls with TLH just were ya normal “Hey, hows tricks,  how ya been?” etc

The PDS Setup.

Well, this was my first break into serious (non-profit making) programming, I had a nice little setup. A C128 on  one side, and a C64 on the other, connected via a cable, TV for the C64, and a green screen monitor for the C128. Simply the C128 had a program called Zeus128 assembler, and the C64 had something called ‘recieve’ software, and  all you did was code on the C128, and send it to the C64 to be excecuted, it was great. If you got an error, or an lockup, all you had to do was reset the C64, and load up the small ‘recieve’ software again. Off I went into  6502 seriously.

The Years.
Right, another confusing heading, but in a nutshell, there were a few years that were blank, well not really blank, just no 6502, I got myself a girl, who wasn’t into computers, and you can work out the rest.

Ok, around Dec 2000, I met up with a young lady who wasn’t Cyberphobic, and enjoyed using computers, just like me.  Instant messaging, games, even managed at one point to try to learn “C++” together, but hey, we didn’t get anywhere. So now, whilst I’m on the computer, the lady of the house doesn’t mind, well providing she has control of the “TV Remote”. So I can pretty much do what I want, I still code on the c64, admitadly I isn’t on the C64 direct, but still in a PDS enviornment, I code all my c64 stuff on “Crimson Editor”, and compile using “c64asm1a”, and run my compiled program on “Winvice”. Also I started to use Visual Basic, Blitz Basic and Dark Basic. Notice the similarity there, yeah Basic but hey, it works…

So as you can see, I was there, then I wasn’t, and now I’m back again. I am very, very rusty, but slowly I am getting back into what I enjoy, and thankfully I have a missus that understand, and a few friends out there who are helping me along. I would like to do like I used to on my C64 stuff, and have a scroller, but hey it would be too lame.

May 2009

Ok, so 9 years on, that relationship decided to take another turn and we decided to part our ways and ended as friends.

So on Mothers Day (in the US) I decided to go online and ended up in a chat room and met with a person under the handle of ‘lovesweets1970′ and we started chatting.

The chatting continued for about 6 months until I plucked up the courage to suggest that we meet… now here is the problem, you notice above I said it was Mothers Day in the US, well, yeah, she was from the USA. So I booked a flight and went to visit.

Long story short we had a long distance relationship for just over 1 year, and we decided to get married…

I am now living in the USA, I am a Permanent Resident and all that Jazz.
DustoutGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8821 on: August 04, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »

Hi everyone! My name is Matt "Garris" and I am Dustout Games. I started making games with GameMaker back in my high school days and have been at it for about a decade. For the past couple of years, I've been trying to go professional and sell a game or two as well.

I grew up on a strange mix of video game influences. When I was as young as I can remember, my dad had an Atari on which me and my dad and my sister would play Joust, Bruce Lee, and Boulder Dash. My dad also had an old computer (I don't remember what it was and neither does he) with the first 2 King's Quest games, Lode Runner, and a few other gems I can't remember the names of.

At the same time, another kid in our neighborhood had a SNES. My sister and I would hang out there as much as we could to play Super Mario World, The Lion King, and Chronno Trigger.

I like games that value fun and style over realism and technicality, and I want my games to reflect that.

Nice to meet everyone  Grin Let's be friends!  Cave Story (because Cave Story is magical)

DePont
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: August 05, 2015, 01:20:41 AM »

I am Linde, currently working at Submarine Channel. An Amsterdam based production company which develops new media / cross media productions.
Player2GameStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8823 on: August 05, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »

Hi,

I'm Dani Garcia, Game designer and graphic artist on a new indie company, Player 2 Game Studios, working from Barcelona.

I've been mostly working as a 3d character artists before this, but I've always been extremelly interested in game design, so now I'm trying to become a professional on that field.

zleub
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8824 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »

Hi everyone !

I'm Arnaud Debray, 24, from Paris, France. I've been programming for a couple years now and i'm currently in the 42 school. My journey started with a GameBoy Color and Pokemon Blue version long ago and is still on going. Most of my work can be found via the 'adebray' or 'zleub' keyword in case you're wondering o/ .

You can surely find me on irc.
BB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: August 06, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

Hello everyone! My name is Bruce Belk, I'm 22 and I live in North Carolina which is a state in the US. I have a BA in Sociology which is about as useful for game dev as you think. I started teaching myself 3D modeling and programming about a year ago and I think I've made some good progress so far. I only have one game online called "Lunoptus" on my itch.io page http://brucebelk.itch.io/ . I'm planning on releasing a new short game next week and then trying to kickstart a larger project soon after. Add me on twitter (@brucebelk) if you want to be friends and stuff, I haven't used it much so far but I'll follow you back or whatever the kids say these days.

I think my first game ever was this awful spiderman game way back on the Windows 95, I think it belonged to my older cousin. He let me play Super Mario World when it first came out and by then I was hooked. Like a lot of people who grew up playing game's I always wanted to make them, my first attempt was a few mods for Oblivion when I was 13 which luckily will exist forever on the internet until the sun blows up (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/users/130745/?tb=mods&pUp=1). After that I made a few user modifications for Dwarf Fortress, then I mostly gave up making mods for a while.

That's basically my entire gaming history! I hope to meet some cool people on here.   Smiley
MisterDeluxia
Level 0

No.

View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: August 06, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »

Hand Joystick

Hello i am new here could someone come and tallk with me
as i dont know anyone. if you talk with me sometime in life you will get a cookie :3

I would put a signature but i dont have a pen...
ChanManWst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: August 07, 2015, 03:40:47 AM »

Hi guys,
Im Michael, with Team Titans working on a little project DragonKnight.
We're in Auckland, New Zealand if you get a chance come take a look.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49552.0
boardtobits
Level 0

Tabletop and Video Game Design

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8828 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »

Hi all,
I'm Ben, designing by the name of Board to Bits. I've been designing games for several years, starting in tabletop design and making the shift into video games as well about a year and a half ago now. I'm still a novice in many ways, but have also been encouraged by the progress/less terrible-ness of each project I work on.

I'm working in Unity 5/C# on a roguelike featuring kaiju monsters right now.

Cheers!
Ben
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: August 08, 2015, 01:13:14 AM »

Hello everyone! I'm a developer from Spain, and a long-time fan of RPGs. Long before videogames were important for me, I was already deeeply immersed into pen-and-paper RPGs with my group of friends; of course, as computer games grew more popular, I greatly enjoyed two RPGs that enraptured me, and have inspired me until today:

-Darklands

-Pool of Radiance

Years later, of course, came the wonderful Elder Scrolls series, the Black Isle games, NWN, and many others. But those two are like a first love. Okay, like your two first simultaneous loves  Wink

Since Spring 2014 I've been working in my own open-ended RPG for mobile devices: Exiled Kingdoms.

See you all around,

David.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:35:12 AM by DavidBVal » Logged
defufna
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:11 AM »

Hello my name is Ivan. I am 30 year old software developer. I fell in love with video games after seeing original Prince of Persia. I've been messing with video game development since I was 14, rarely completing anything Grin. I love building things and seeing what other people do. See you all around!
cyberpunkdreams
Level 0

Changing the world. Or something like that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8831 on: August 09, 2015, 07:12:58 AM »

Hey, new here! And a bit overwhelmed by the number of smilies on offer Wink.

I'm 36, I live in the UK, been gaming for many (many years). I can't say it was the first game I played, but by first defining game experience was probably the original Civilisation (the best of that series was Alpha Centauri by far, but I've gone right off the series now). I'm into game development, but don't work on it full time (yet!)

cxsquared
Level 0

Game Dev in Progress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8832 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »

Hi my name is Cody! I've been dabbling in game development for the past 4 or so years. Started in Flash, released my first game in Java and know I use haxe a bunch. I still have a year left of university but I hope to hit the ground running in the game industry. I'm currently working on small physics based take on pong. I also do a lot of music stuff on top of programming. Looking forward to seeing awesome games and people.  Gentleman

Check me out at CodyClaborn.me
brimby
Level 0

Oh hi Mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8833 on: August 09, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

Hi TIGers! (Has that been used before? Have those people been killed as a result? Am I about to be killed?)

My name is Brian and am the editor at IndieRuckus.com, but I'll talk about that in a minute.

My first console I owned was an NES I received for Christmas when I was five years old. And I mean, that's all it takes, really. Being five + NES = gamer for life, if my math is correct. I got an SNES two Christmases later, sold my NES for a Genesis (doh!), sold my Genesis for an N64 (doh!) and just kept on trucking from there. Yes, I will always be a Nintendo fanboi but I also own an Xbox One and play a butt ton of PC games as well.

Back to my website, I started IndieRuckus.com about 8 months ago out of a combined love of gaming, writing, and web development. I found out first hand how difficult it is cultivating a new site, especially when doing all the work (editor, main writer, site designer, programmer, promoter) myself. But after getting laid off from my day job, I said fuck it and went all in, and the site has been steadily increasing in size (and possibly going exponential just recently).

As you can probably infer from the title, we do mostly indie game news and reviews, and I pride myself on the quality of content and uniqueness of voice at IndieRuckus. There are very few quality indie-focused sites out there, so I make it a point to always be working toward utmost professionalism, as far as form and function go.

So make sure to at least check us out at IndieRuckus.com, and I might even be so bold as to suggest you toss us into your bookmarks because the site is going to be developing into something much larger in the next few months.

See you guys around! Time to get back to digging in the dev logs for the next big thing.

I'm a reasonable man; get off my case.
ghoofman
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8834 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »

My name is Garrett Hoofman ( http://www.twitter.com/ghoofman ). I've been around the indie scene for a while, but haven't been as socially outward as I could be.

I run OPifex Entertainment ( http://www.teamopifex.com ) and built and maintain the OPengine ( http://www.opengine.io )

I participate in at least 1 or 2 game jams a year where I try to do something I haven't done before. Each game jam gets a bit better than the last.

Ludum Dare 20 : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-20/?action=preview&uid=4043
Ludum Dare 29 : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=4043
Ludum Dare 30 : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=4043
Ludum Dare 32 : http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=4043
TAG JAM 10 : http://tagjam10.idumpling.com/games
TAG JAM 13 : http://hilgames.com/tagjam13/
Houghton Game Jam 2007 :

Houghton Game Jam 2009 :

Houghton Game Jam 2010 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtSl9kkAXQg
Week Of Awesome II : http://teamopifex.com/ultimate-bro-down-post-mortem/
IGMC 2015 : http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/462

And I've also worked on a few longer term projects such as

Splat! : http://teamopifex.com/splat/

Lots of games and never enough time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:24:46 PM by ghoofman » Logged
uthamon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8835 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »

Hi, I'm Mateusz and I just started my journey with gamedev by making first game I decided to show others. I've got lot to learn, but I hope I'll get to improve my skills in the future. Also, I'm glad I have found out about this community. Idea of makings devlogs seems interesting.
hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8836 on: August 11, 2015, 02:59:50 AM »

Hi I'm Roland, multiclass Physician/Sound Designer working with  my freelance company, Littorina Sounds.
I also am part of the eat create sleep ensemble that is developing Crest on Steam.

I'm born '82 which basically means I've been around long enough to have used the

in the beginning, then directly migrated to

and been stuck ever since. I started becoming interested in computer music in the early nineties when the first demos surfaced (namely hugely inspired by Jonne Valtonnen(Purple Motion of Future Crew)) , started using trackers and 8-bit soundblaster sampling. I've always been fiddling around in small indie projects, the largest being a wonderful crew of 11 people in 2002 working on the rpg-maker clone Minerva and a JRPG named phoenix (which sadly never got released due to lack of funding and everyone having to live their lives). Then, medical studies, then work and kids, then paternal leave, premature mid-life crisis and the founding of my company. Rest is (short) history.

I'm looking for work! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:09:25 AM by hawkei » Logged

TwelveGame
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:02 AM »

Hello! I'm an artist and website representative for our team of 4 devs. That's all.
nikurizo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:51 AM »

Hello I'm Cris a game programmer that likes apples.
Vitor Campioni
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8839 on: August 11, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »

Hello guys,

I am Vitor "Ze" Campioni.
Bachelor in Digital Games. I live in Brazil and I love Games. My dream is to work with the development of the same.

Not finished any game so far, only participated in the development of some prototypes.

Well... Basically it.

See you later, guys!

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic