Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073446 Posts in 43979 Topics- by 36011 Members - Latest Member: carterza

December 19, 2014, 12:56:53 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 411
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1015825 times)
ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »

Hello everyone.  Smiley

I call myself ASnogarD , which is DragonSA backwards....which is a Welsh bloke grew up in South Africa , and has recently returned to Wales.

I am a gamer but more a designer, or rather a designer would be. My particular talent is to take an idea and expand it ... make it much more than it was, in a good way. I take an idea and run it through my mind until I have enhanced it and foreseen a lot of the pitfalls in the idea.

I have recently decided to try actually get one of my ideas out, so I am learning Java ( cant argue with the price of the SDK and NetBeans IDE eh ? ), playing with UML (just the class diagrams) and having a blast trying to work out the ideas in a manner that translate to if then statements and conditional loops Tongue

The game is a roguelike , initially with ASCII as I work out the logic code but ultimately more like a Diablo clone (real time and isometric view game). The game will have a semi randomly generated dungeon for each new game, no saves or lives and will be hard . The game will also be classless and if my ideas work out half as well as I want, the player will create his/her own class as they play.

My experience... well I played with the basics of the Vic 20 , the Speccy 48 k and GWBasic, I also done the hello world in C but ... honestly at the time couldnt afford the IDE and compiler...thus I have gone with Java.
I will be asking some questions and looking for tips from you guys , heres hoping for a long and happy relationship with TIG and you the community.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

peter_bostrom89@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2601 on: August 01, 2009, 02:50:49 AM »

There are free IDE:s and compilers for C/C++, try Code::Blocks for one.

Bill Hoggett
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2602 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

There are free IDE:s and compilers for C/C++, try Code::Blocks for one.
...and of course the NetBeans IDE itself is also a C/C++ IDE as well as Java.
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

peter_bostrom89@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2603 on: August 01, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »

...and of course the NetBeans IDE itself is also a C/C++ IDE as well as Java.

Ah yes, of course. Smiley

ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 01, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »

Thanks for the info , but I'll stick with Java for now as I have already put some time in it already and starting to get the feel for it.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2605 on: August 01, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »

Ok well... Hi, i'm ak. I'm 29, i live in Paris, France where i work as a freelance illustrator/cartoonist. I've been more and more interested in the indie games community for a few months now. This might not be a very original opinion, but i think there is more creativity there than in most commercial games i've played. Naturally, i've been developing a growing need to create my own games and i'm hoping to find inspiration and help on this forum (i've actually found the first one already).

Well, that's it Smiley Thanks for these great games and this forum .

travisdunn
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2606 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

Hi, Iím Travis, 29 light years old, gamer and software developer, currently living and working in Amsterdam. I keep a blog at my site, travisdunn.com; I spend my days doing web development, and my nights nurturing hobbies, which has recently amounted to putting together a game for the iPhone that I hope to release this year.

I started programming due to an early interest in video games, though I apparently had the sense not to try and make a living at it and games have remained a hobbyist byproduct of my career. Iíve been professionally programming for the last ten years or so, but releasing a game for the iPhone would be my first entry into the games industry.

It's rare that I've found challenges in the business world that are as complex, creative, and programmatically as interesting as making games, a vastly demanding domain that touches on almost all aspects of software development. Because of their diverse and sophisticated requirements, combined with the importance placed on the end users, video games have always for me symbolized the forefront of the programming world and the testing ground for advanced interfaces and rich simulations.

Some of my favorite games throughout the ages:

A Mind Forever Voyaging, Castlevania, Civilization, Bioshock, ChuChu Rocket, Darklands, Dead or Alive, Disciples, EarthBound, Halo 1, Morrowind, Nethack, Resident Evil, Robot Odyssey, Quest for Glory, SimEarth, Startropics, System Shock, Undying, W40k: Dawn of War

Blog: http://www.travisdunn.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rogueship
There is neither speech nor language
but their voice is heard among them
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2607 on: August 02, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

I'm also working on a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame that premiered at Sonic Amateur Games Expo (SAGE) 14 this year, called "Sonic Gemini" - a classic 2D Sonic game with a twist: you play as a tag team of Sonic and his former rival Metal Sonic.  Yes it's a strange pairing.  But strange enough to work!  More info on that at http://clearimagery.net/sonicgemini/.

I know absolutely nothing about all that other stuff you did, but I saw Sonic Gemini a few days ago and eagerly await the final version. :-D
Nitromatic
« Reply #2608 on: August 02, 2009, 02:47:32 AM »

Hiello everyone. I am Nitromatic,I live in Finland  Durr...?
When I played games,I was stunned. I was like "I want to become game developer" and when we finally got Internet,I just downloaded games and games. It was wonderful.

Then our Windows 98 died,so we bought Windows Vista. So begun my new season. I used Game Maker 4 to try make games,but it didn't work well,so..I downloaded Game Maker 7! And I own full version. I also use Sound Club to make musics to my games ^^ By the way,if you ask who is my favourite indie. Well,everyone who makes games are my favourite. And indie game I love? It's Spelunky! So I give BRAVO to Derek Yu.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »

Ok well... Hi, i'm ak. I'm 29, i live in Paris, France where i work as a freelance illustrator/cartoonist. I've been more and more interested in the indie games community for a few months now. This might not be a very original opinion, but i think there is more creativity there than in most commercial games i've played. Naturally, i've been developing a growing need to create my own games and i'm hoping to find inspiration and help on this forum (i've actually found the first one already).

Well, that's it Smiley Thanks for these great games and this forum .

We always need more frenchies here. Welcome! Smiley
3dSquare
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2610 on: August 02, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »

Hiello everyone. I am Nitromatic,I live in Finland  Durr...?
When I played games,I was stunned. I was like "I want to become game developer" and when we finally got Internet,I just downloaded games and games. It was wonderful.

Then our Windows 98 died,so we bought Windows Vista. So begun my new season. I used Game Maker 4 to try make games,but it didn't work well,so..I downloaded Game Maker 7! And I own full version. I also use Sound Club to make musics to my games ^^ By the way,if you ask who is my favourite indie. Well,everyone who makes games are my favourite. And indie game I love? It's Spelunky! So I give BRAVO to Derek Yu.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWell, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hey Nitro! Glad to see you joined!
count
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 02, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »

Hi TIGS Community!

I joined this Forum nearly a year ago (October 21, 2008) and now I think it is time to make my first post here Smiley
So you ask yourself who is this guy, why did he join, and why did it took him nearly a year to first post here? Read on! All this questions will be answered in this introduction.

- who am i -

My name is Christopher and I started coding on my C64. After I got my first 386 I started to learn pascal and wrote some small arcade remakes in it like pong and snake.

After some years of pascal I switched to C and started working on an RPG game. But it got never finished because my graphics designer left the team and I was totally demotivated that I stopped working on that game.
Shortly after I started learning C++ I got my first job which required me to learn java.

Since then (2006) my daily work is java related. It's not game development but application development though. Which I'm quite happy about so I can continue to write games as hobby in my free time.

At this point I didn't want to continue writing games with c or c++. So I searched a good lib for my newly learned language java... but to no avail I couldn't find anything that satisfied me.
On a journey through languages like Ruby, C#, and a lot of frameworks like xna, and the try to write games with c#/mono/gtk I was still at the point of having not found a library and laguage that was fun to write games with.
So recently I switched back to c++ and allegro. After some months of development I stumbled upon slick!
And it is FUN to write games with slick and java.

So since 1 month I rewrite a a game I started in C and it's coming along nicely.
So my search that lastet several years has now ended.
And I celebrate it with my first post here!  Beer!

- why did i join -

Back in the days when the site was still useable I hung around at greatgamesexperiment.
There I met skaldicpoet9. He was very interested and very informed about the indie games scene.

I think the indie game scene is an awesome community and it seemed that most of them were at gge.
Sadly gge died more more more. So I contacted skaldicpoet9 to see if he is still there and to tell him that its sad that this place died.
And he told me about TIG and that he is hanging around here.
So I instantly joined and never looked back! Wink

- why did it take so long to post -

It's just because I don't have much to say. I like to read about indie games, play them, and getting inspired by them.
I love it when I see a new game that just makes me WOW  Addicted
So I'm more of a reader and a watcher.
And a coder in my secret lair.  Ninja

So yeah! Thats a looooong introduction... maybe someone will read it Wink
Cheers to all the TIGS community and especially to skaldicpoet9!
Molten_
Level 4

Lost in debug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2612 on: August 02, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »

'ello there, I'm error and I've been lurking this place for quite a while. I thought I'd join today out of boredom, and also because I want to become an indie game developer. I thought this forum would be a great place to start. anyway, cheers! Smiley

Dream a little crazy!

Super Game Guy Devlog ~ blankbox.net ~ twitter
keelids
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2613 on: August 03, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »

'i introduce myself... TO TOTAL STRANGERS?Huh?'
 Hand Pencil :whome;

here's a HI, G'DAY, Pleasant Evening, and greeting.

pleased to meet y'all.

C is about as advances programming wise I have ever attempted. It's like looking into the dictionary of a post-modern deconstructionist who writes the weekly column for Words of Wits.

I'll polly edit once I read through some previous posts. Gentleman

(fact d' day: 9 years is the longest time I've spent in one place)

[footnote: for some proper stuff on who I am, I used to want to be a car designer, want to design my own website, be a painter, and also jazz pianist. So far, nothing yet. I also did a lot of math when in school,  so much so that I now try to not think about them too much. For the curious, specialty bachelor degrees don't roxrz as much as the name say. Who's an artist here?]
Dr Lecter
Level 0

Tally ho by jove

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2614 on: August 03, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »

Tally ho old chaps Gentleman

I'm a programmer (C++/C# mostly)... Erm, my hobbies include... tennis, video games, and walking around pretending total strangers are secret agents, reading all kinds of meanings into every movement they make.

Beer!
havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2615 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »

You gotta teach me tennis!
I've tried a couple of times, but I'm lousy at being skilled enough for meaningful play.

Welcome to the forums!
Hi five for C++/C#

Havchr works at Tumbleweed Interactive, a Norwegian independent game developer and he likes pizza and football
jkd003
« Reply #2616 on: August 03, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »

This is going to be weird...
JKD is what I go by. It predates to when I was eight and got on the high score board for galaga at my local barber shop. When the game requested my initials I believe it was then and there that I truly fell in love with video games. But my love was never a pure one, I played video games because the life I lived was one I hated, one where every day I had to wake up and deal with problems I was powerless to change because my life was ultimately owned by others. With books and movies I could escape to another world, but that was never what I wanted. I wanted control, the idea I was in command and that when bad things happened, I could take responsability for them, and do it all over again right. Like a lot of people I liked video games for the feelings they gave me and that was enough. I was a big sonic fan among other things. The games I was into, nothing surprising.  Overtime I became more interested in the odd and experimental games but it was a fleeting feeling that would go away as another problem in my life arose again.

It was not until I became a adult, my parents were forced to give me freedom and I moved out that I had a life changing revelation. I was living with a girlfriend and her mother, going to community college in the area that it happened. I was in total control of my life, actually happy with what I was doing and how I was spending my time. It was during this time, where I was totally satisfied with my life, happier than I had ever been, full of love, comfort and freedom that I started to find the video games I used to love as boring. Too easy, too simple, overall mediocre. I loved video games, I used to even want to be involved in the industry making them, and yet here I was finding myself loosing interest and getting bored. I was looking for something new, something different, something exciting. I found GOD HAND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2MvIC4j6E
Never in my life has a metaphorical kick in the balls felt so good. I enjoyed the hell out of the game and I could write pages on the many reasons why. Playing the game felt like being awake for the very first time. I had never in my life enjoyed a video game so much just for being a video game.  Since then I have played many a great game such as STALKER, OPERATION FLASHPOINT, Spelunky and more treasure games than I care to list. To say I like my games hard, fair and intense is a understatement.
I have dabbled in game design since the 8th grade, and while my philosophy on what I want in my games has changed drastically(from writing about games with epic stories and simple but catchy gameplay to now going into feverent detail about complex game mechanics that involve dynamic bosses and flexible but challenging gameplay)
I have yet to progress further than large word documents with writings of what I would do.
This changes today. I'm setting a far off goal, to complete my latest dream game with game maker some time in the future.  Until then I'm going to learn to program and do everything I can step by step to meet my goal.
I'll end this with a picture of myself, twisted grin and all. If things go as well as I hope I'll be making this face a lot.
Guzusuru
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2617 on: August 03, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »

Hey everybody, I'm an artist currently working on this over here.

I don't know much about making games, but I've had fun with this so far at least. Nice to meet you all!
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »

Um um. Hello.

I am a console gamer who's dabbling a bit in indie games. I love Cortex Command, Spelunky, and Battle for Wesnoth. I've been playing Bonesaw but I don't really like it. Cave Story is cool, but I'm stuck D:<.

I've done a bit of spriting for CC and I want to see if I can get better at it.

Edit: I'm from Vancouver, Canada an my all-time favourite games are Suikoden, Soul Calibur 4, Elite Beat Agents, The World Ends With You, and probably some others. Throw in Jumping Flash 2 or something.

Also, I'm kind of dick, so look out for that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:03:05 PM by Contrary » Logged
Jimp
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #2619 on: August 04, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »

Hey there. My name is Jimp, Im a Flash game artist. This looks like just the place ive been looking for Smiley

My most successful release so far has been Penguinz (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/489777), a collaboration with LongAnimals.

Im currently working on a couple of projects, both of which im pretty excited about. The biggest is Redneck Downhill Challenge, in which you build a cart out of various parts then race it down a hill (some art: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8378/redneck.jpg).

Anyway, good to find a cool new place, hope us Flash game makers are welcome here Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 411
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic