Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:38:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCrossCode Demo (Windows or Browser)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CrossCode Demo (Windows or Browser)  (Read 1327 times)
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:01 AM »

2 years ago we released the TechDemo for CrossCode and today is the day. The day we proudly release the first real Demo! It’s demo time. CrossCode demo time!

Find the demo here:

You can play CrossCode in your browser or download a standalone version for windows and play it offline!

Trailer

Features

CrossCode combines features of the Action-Adventure and RPG genre, delivering both, a great variety of puzzles and an engaging, fast-paced combat system with plenty of options for character growth.

Here's a quick overview of the features:
  • 16-bit, SNES-style 2D graphics with detailed animations
  • A soundtrack inspired by old SNES and Playstation JRPGs
  • A unique ball throwing mechanic with charging functionality and ricocheting balls, used for combat and puzzles
  • A fast-paced combat system featuring close and ranged attacks, guarding, dashing and great variety of special attacks.
  • A complete RPG system with leveling, equipment, consumable items and skill trees
  • A detailed movement system with auto-jumping and precise collision

Story

You follow a player called Lea as she logs into CrossWorlds - a fictional MMO of the far future. Lea is quite the strange player: she can't speak and she doesn't remember anything about herself. Yet still, Lea starts exploring CrossWorlds, meets other players and overcomes a multitude of challenges all along the official track of the game. That is, until the past catches up with her.

Screenshots

Soundtrack

If you just want to listen to the soundtrack, check out Intero's Soundcloud Page.

Indie of the Year 2014

If you liked the game, why not support us the Indie of the Year 2014 on IndieDB? Just click on the image below to get to the voting page where you can press the vote button to help us out!

Have fun playing the game!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:50:45 AM by R.D. » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »

I gave the demo a try. Pretty cool game, nice job! Everything worked pretty well and seemed reasonably polished. I was recording video with OBS while playing (video

if you're curious), which dropped the frame rate from 60 to 30, but it ran fine without OBS open. The story mode demo had more dialogue and tutorials than I would have liked...maybe I should have started in exploration or puzzle mode instead. I kept hoping for it to open up and let me explore a little bit less linearly.

The dialogue could do with some proofreading ("You have lost your memory and we try to receive it again" and a few other weird phrasings/words that don't make sense). Once I started talking to the ship's crew, a lot of them seemed to be shadow people... Are those placeholders for artwork to be added later?

I had a strange moment during Jet's combat training, where I chose not to hear instructions for blocking. I wanted to figure it out on my own, but I only got about a second or so to try buttons before I was being shot, and I'd then be interrupted by dialogue and not get a chance to try again until I'd sat through the same people saying the same things I'd already heard. If I've already played the game and know how to block, there's no point in putting me through the tutorial at all, and if I haven't played before, there's no point in giving me the option to skip the explanation if I don't get a chance to figure out what I'm doing by experimenting.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »

This is pretty fantastic - definitely my type of game, and I'll be awaiting its release eagerly. I seriously don't have enough praise for you guys.  Wink Loved the intro.

Small bits of feedback:
  • Auto-save would be nice. I stopped between the intro & Lea's training and then had to replay the intro because I didn't think to save because it's 2014 and I haven't had to do that in years.
  • It's a little annoying to not have an option to quit from within the game (that I could find) - I had to return to the title screen, watch the whole intro sequence, and then hit 'Exit.'

Jackolantern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »

Very nice! I was on the ImpactJS forums when you released the demo, and I checked it out then. I am excited to try out the full game, and will give it a proper block of my time tomorrow Smiley
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:50:04 AM »

Sorry for the late replies! It gets quite busy here with planning the crowdfunding :D

@ThemsAllTook

Thanks for giving the game a spin! And even making a video awesome! I liked watching it and seeing yon wondering where the story goes and whats going on! Also awesome you edited in that the game actually runs at 60fps! It's always nice to see people being amazed by how far web technologies have come. I assume you recorded the desktop version of the game? I'm not sure how this works in other browser but in chrome you can directly record anymore (at least not with tools like bandicam). Since the desktop version effectively uses chrome (node-webkit), we use and older build so people can still record. Sadly we don't have much influence on how recording performance works out. I can record in 60 fps while many noticed the same issues as you did.

Since CrossCode is plot-driven the beginning might take a while but don't worry. The game will open up for sure!

Regarding the dialog. We're not native speakers so it's really helpful if people tell us these kind of errors! If you have anymore texts which contain spelling or grammars issues don't hesitate to tell us! We appreciate it Smiley
People that are shadows are normal NPCs. we didn't want to show "no face" when you're talking to random people and making custom graphics is quite time consuming. So we decided to added shadow people. Maybe we come up with a better idea along the way :D

You're right, we probably should add a small info texts that tells you how to use shield regardless of the players choice! It's really a thin line to create a good tutorial. Especially since this tutorial transitions into a scene it's hard to make it skipable so we decided to add a choice there. But I totally agree that the tutorial itself should be skipable in some way. So this is one of the things we want to change Smiley

@bdsowers

Thanks a lot! Auto-Save is actually something we plan on adding! It's going to be your typical "first slot in the save-menu" kinda auto-save. Also the checkpoint saving is going to be changed so you don't have to die again and again on bosses. Instead you'll going be sent to the last point of free gameplay (before a scene or the room before a boss).
Exiting the game via the pause screen is something we can add for sure! Will be in the next release Smiley

Jackolantern

Awesome! impact.js ftw :D What kind of block are we talking about? :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic