Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:39:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWitch Roguelite
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Witch Roguelite  (Read 3686 times)
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »

UPDATE: Unfortunately, due to the scope of this project and commitments to other games, both Izzy and I have moved on from this project. While this doesn't mean AWC is dead in the water, it does mean there won't be any future updates for who knows how long, and that this devlog can be closed.

A Wicked Curse
Hoping to escape the everyday doldrums of princesshood, the King's daughters have started to wander off in search of the Wizard of the Woods. He drives a hard bargain, promising any visitor great power in exchange for a few difficult favors. Set in a world inspired by many of the classic fairy tales, A Wicked Curse is a procedurally generated top-down action adventure game in which you create your very own fairy tale!

A Wicked Curse is a procedural death labyrinth, set in a fairy tale world. It is inspired by the likes of Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, Adventure Time, Shrek, and of course Zelda ZEL Link. It will feature fast-paced combat, fun and silly spells, perma death, as well as some permanent progression.

Features
- Procedurally Generated world, made up of four unique regions, including the forest, pigs’ basement, whale’s belly, and stereotypical fairy tale castle.
- Dozens of unique curses to choose from when starting an adventure. These will be quirky, such as everything you ‘kill’ turns into a frog instead, or just boost stats, such as making you faster. Perhaps they will affect appearance as well.
- Collect loot each play through. Some loot will persist between runs, while other loot will be unique to your current witch.
- More to come, and I will update this devlog often.

Team
Eric Bernier - Programming and Design
Iskander Aminov - Art and Design

Tech
Haxe / OpenFL / HaxeFlixel

Platforms
PC / Mac / Linux
I develop on a Mac, and Izzy tests on a PC.

Fun Stuff

A more recent shot…(yea, enemies are next on the list  Shrug)

Humble beginnings…

Any feedback, ideas, and/or criticism are all greatly appreciated!  Coffee

UPDATE: Unfortunately, due to the scope of this project and commitments to other games, both Izzy and I have moved on from this project. While this doesn't mean AWC is dead in the water, it does mean there won't be any future updates for who knows how long, and that this devlog can be closed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:15:58 AM by ericmbernier » Logged

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

Added some destructible items, including barrels, boxes, pig roasts, etc. Here are some barrels in action:

IzzyA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »

Direct any art related concerns to me.  Here's some items I've drawn and composed into a scene.

SpeakUpGames
Level 0

whimsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »

I love the art style, it's really adorable. I really like the idea of a procedurally generated fairytale world  Smiley
Will be following this for sure

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »

Thanks, SpeakUpGames!

I started mocking up the HUD. First addition is a map to let you know where you are in the current region. Of course, this is just my mockup before Izzy makes it look presentable  Smiley

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »

Swapped out the programmer art for the witch's fireballs / spells. Slowly juicing everything as I swap it in, as well:

I need to get better at making pretty gifs Sad

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »

i like this, the colors are great.
Thought i kinda miss some anti-aliasing on those images... vectors shouldn't have to deal with jaggy edges
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:19 AM »

Welcome Nelphion, and thanks for the kind words!

I think I have anti-aliasing off right now. I'll tinker with it next time I post some shots.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:01:51 AM »

Refactored some code that was bothering me and implemented the early beginnings of the health bar. The hearts right now are filler, and should have a more evil, wicked look to them once finished. The whole HUD is pretty 'programmery' right now, and needs Izzy's touch.

Also, 'tis the season to show off the winter trees.

IzzyA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

Making the Loading screen.  Plan is to have objects pop in to show the player the general overview of the world.  It will have-
  • Wizard's House - You start in this place to do all your upgrading/buying new stuff, then take a magic carpet ride to the forest.
  • The Forest - The game starts here, simple enemies and basic loot, you can go to 3 locations from this place.  Mostly will have to battle trolls and other forest dwellers.
  • The Castle - North of the forest, will have lots of treasures and soldiers.
  • Beached Whale - On the beach, West of the forest.  You would go inside the whale to fight Pinocchio.
  • Pig's House - East of the forest.  You would actually be going into the basement of this house.  Potential idea I have is the pig's are scientists and are experimenting on wolves.  So you have to fight those types of creatures.

If anyone has ideas, we'd appreciate some input on what kinds of enemies to put in these different places.  Keeping them fairy tale related would be a big plus.   Beg
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »

I've been working on some UI stuff and the game's main loading screen. Here's a more finished look, thanks to Izzy:

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »

Polished up the loading screen:

DahDoctow
Level 0

Here I am again.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »

Wow this project looks really interesting, what program was the art made in? Looks like a lot of effort was put into this so far Smiley
IzzyA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

Wow this project looks really interesting, what program was the art made in? Looks like a lot of effort was put into this so far Smiley

Make it all in Flash usually.  Sometimes might do Photoshop but that's rare these days.
DahDoctow
Level 0

Here I am again.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »

Make it all in Flash usually.  Sometimes might do Photoshop but that's rare these days.

Well I'm very impressed with it Smiley I've used flash a bit here and there, not much of my focus was spent "arting" though haha. I'll make sure to keep an eye on your progress with this
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 07:52:12 AM »

@DahDoctow Thanks for the kind words. Glad to have you following along!

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »

Looks super fun, I love using flash for art but never has managed anything as nice as this. That loading looks rad!

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, kraed.

Slowly adding the most basic of enemies, though their AI/behaviors aren't actually implemented yet.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:28:57 PM by ericmbernier » Logged

IzzyA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »

Looks super fun, I love using flash for art but never has managed anything as nice as this. That loading looks rad!

It's pretty hard to get the aesthetic to not look like flash for sure. Taken me years to get to this point and I can't see myself using any other program other than flash.

Here's an update for the HUD.

Hearts will have some special stats -
>Purple is your regular hearts, they take 3 hit points
>Pink is rechargeable and upon pick up changes your last non-pink heart.  If you have 3 hit points on it, next screen you go to gets a bonus hit point
>Silver is like pink, but once it's hit, gets taken away without recharging
>Gold is added to your first non-gold heart and gives you 3 additional hit points for a total of 6 for that heart.

You'll have a counter for money you collected and we might have a special item that recharges.  We're not sure yet if this is something people would like.

These are map icons that will be on the top right.  Only 1 region at a time will be displayed so it won't look so cluttered. 
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

The procedural dungeon generation is now laying out the entrance to the whale and pigs' house, using Izzy's new art from his last post:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic