Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:51:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGame Development in General?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Development in General?  (Read 1003 times)
mochikoTiger
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

Hello, I am extremely new to the indie gaming world, but would really like to try my hand at making a game.  The issue is that, although I have character designs and a plot thought out, I know nothing about programming or animating, or  really ANYTHING technical about creating a game.  I don't even really have any money to put into this.  Sad  I was just curious about if there was any way to change my bleak situation to even a slightly better one?  What do I need to obtain in order to make a game?  I have big goals, which is probably bad for such a noob as myself, but I really can't help it!   Shrug  I thought that I could get a team together, but is that possible to do if no one lives near me?  Is it possible to get someone from far away and somehow collaborate with them?  Because I'd really need programmers and concept artists, literally all the works.  So I'm just spitballin' here and saying my thoughts out loud.  Please don't laugh at me for being such a beginner and having seemingly no means to make my dreams a reality.  I just want some advice and tips on how I can get started.  Thanks~
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »

Hey machiko,
You obviously like games, so you have some sort of understanding of what type of design inspires you.
I think you should learn some software and makes some small things for fun. Scale back your goals a bit, make experiments to practice code. If you learn to program you will understand how to implement game art into your mini projects. If you create all the assets you need for a mini project, you'll have a better understanding of the entire process and how it all comes together.
 Having general knowledge of all fields of crafting a game will make others feel more confident in working with you.  Imagine working with a programmer and not understanding how exactly to deliver the art assets to him/her. It would be really time consuming to explain everything. I'm trying to learn to code myself and I find it really fun! Sooo do itttt

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »

There are a couple ways to start, but the surefire method would be to learn to program.  It's (IMO) the easiest of the core skills to get decent at.  (Or rather, it's the one where you can get the greatest payoff even if you're kinda crappy at it. Wink)

But programmer or not, you need to consider what it is that you can make that will get people so excited they'll want to share in your vision (donating skills, donating money, or donating publicity so that others donate skills or money).  You probably already know that an idea likely isn't enough; there's already a surplus of those floating around. 

But there are a lot of things that are halfway in between a mere idea and the game you want to make.  There are more tools than ever to allow non-programmers or semi-programmers to get their ideas out there (RPGMaker, Twine, PuzzleScript...), and lots of games begin as mods of other games.  Can you make it out of cardboard?  Can it be a module of a pen & paper game?  Can you build it within a MUD?  Whatever you can do, get it out there and let it succeed or fail.  Then do it again and again.

(If none of those are good enough to capture your unique vision, then it's back to path #1: Learn to program and a lot of obstacles drop away.)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

GameMaker is a pretty okay place to start if you know nothing technical.

But before you do, you should watch

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

I love how I knew exactly what video that would be before I clicked the link.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

Talk more about your idea we can tailor a beginning path just for you.

Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »

But before you don't, you should watch this.
Fixed that for you. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic