Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:14:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLocal co-op steam games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Local co-op steam games?  (Read 2968 times)
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »

Hi! Longtime lurker here. Appreciate this place as a source of gossip and great game recommendations.

I recently purchased an alienware alpha (yes, I know, I know) and am looking for local co-op recommendations. Things that are fun and generally not too intensely punishing would be great. Controller support is a major plus. I've started downloading Chariot and Broforce, so that at least can get me started.

Basically, I am looking for games that the wife and I can enjoy together. She is definitely less of a twitch gamer, though I don't want to undersell her nerdiness/prowess: she has gotten pretty good at Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

Doesn't have to be anything in particular as long as it's fun for two people to play together. Competitive games are also fine as long as they... well... as long as it doesn't end up being a situation where I KO her 20 times in a row and end up sleeping on the couch.

I'd appreciate your insights. Thanks!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259003629

you can try the browser demo of our game http://gamejolt.com/games/action/warlocks/23067/

it's got controller support and local co-op

but it's an old demo

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »

Looking at my list of Steam games... TowerFall Ascension, Hammerwatch, Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and Crypt of the NecroDancer all have local co-op modes if I'm not mistaken, and they're all top-notch games.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »

Hammerwatch is great, I also recommend the new Rayman games.

yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »

ThemsAllTook: I actually had grabbed Necrodancer because of your recommendation (even though it didn't seem like my cup of tea - I have the rhythm of a narcoleptic tree sloth.) Fricken LOVE it. Great soundtrack. I'll see about filling in the rest of the library... Hammerwatch seems neat.

ANtY: I'm excited about your game and have been following dev snippets here and there, but I foresee the couch scenario!

Thank you both!
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

Broforce, Hammerwatch, Hero Siege, Risk of Rain - all great local co-op games. Smiley
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »

ThemsAllTook: I actually had grabbed Necrodancer because of your recommendation [...]

Awesome!

BattleBlock Theater is another good one I forgot. Definitely worth a look.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »

Lora Craft and the gurdeon of light
Dynasty warriors
Hunted: Demons Forge, which was best inExile game.
Lotr: War in the north.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:41:19 AM »

A few games that I highly recommend for local co-op which haven't been mentioned yet:
  • Portal 2: They added split-screen co-op after release. If you haven't played it, it's more puzzle than twitch, and the co-op is a lot of fun.
  • Castle Crashers: An excellent beat-'em-up with a bizarre sense of humor. Not ridiculously difficult, but definitely gets harder as the game goes on (especially since Easy mode only lets you go up to a certain world before you have to switch to Normal).
  • Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition: A Metroidvania/beat-'em-up with a very nice visual style. There are some tricky platforming segments, but they're optional.

As for games already mentioned in this thread, I second BattleBlock Theatre, TowerFall Ascension, Hammerwatch, Spelunky, and The Binding of Isaac: Rerbirth as great games (though the last two are also really hard).
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »

You guys be awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Broforce, by the way, is amazing.

Chariot is quite difficult to coordinate, in a way that is either very fun or very hellish. Like 2-player QWOP, but you feel like you've really accomplished something when you manage to navigate the titular vehicle through a difficult area. I think we will get a lot of mileage out of that one... and then we'll start down the list!
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »

Trine & Trine 2, 1-3 player coop

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:24 AM »

Chariot is relationship counseling: the game. The controls, aside from basic moving and jumping, are "attach rope," "reel in rope," "give rope slack," and "hold firm." With two players, you each can attach to either end of the Chariot. So maneuver the chariot up these fairly precarious platforms, often making complicated joint decisions in a split second, and it ends up being this impromptu synchronized button ballet. Sometimes it works great. Other times...

Me: Okay, I'm pulling us up, hold on.
Her: Okay.
Me: You didn't hold on.
Her: Yes I did.
Me: Well, you're on the ground, and no rope is attached. There you go, now you're attached... I'm going to pull you up, just make sure to anchor when I go over the other side, otherwise we'll have to start over.
Her: I don't think I have room.
Me: I think you'll have like a split second, just hold down and...
Her: Well that was a great idea.
Me: Were you holding down?
Her: Yes, I was fucking holding down.

I swear, it's an emotional experience. Fun, but murder on the wrists.

Are there any crafty, RPGey, explorey games out there these days for local co-op that anyone can recommend? She and I actually met playing online Neverwinter Nights many years ago.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »

Awesomenauts is a really fun simple moba you can play with local splitscreen.

yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:33:24 AM »

I love Awesomenauts - logged about 400 hours that I'll never get back. While it's a lot simpler than the likes of DotA, it's still pretty grueling for new players to climb the learning curve... and I wouldn't want to subject my wife to the abuse of a bunch of anonymous 13-year-olds. Had no idea that we could do local split-screen though! Maybe we'll give it a shot! Thank you, and thanks to everyone who suggested something.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »

Deathspank! But there's a slight problem, one is the real character (mouse+keys diablo style), an the other is support (on controller). I think it's meant to be played with a child. But still an awesome game Gentleman

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure all of the Lego games have local co-op. The ones I have do, anyway, a sanity check on the purchase pages should clear it up.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
gouchi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 10:59:33 PM »

Ibb & Obb and Together: Amna & Saif not yet released but I look forward to playing it.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 02:40:37 AM »

My faves

Gang Beasts
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285900/

Screencheat
http://store.steampowered.com/app/301970/

Nidhogg
http://store.steampowered.com/app/94400/

Burbank51
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »

Crawl is really great. The way it's designed, everyone gets a turn at being the hero and even being the bad guys is pretty darn fun. One of the few games that makes losing as fun as winning.

I play freeware indie games on my Youtube
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic