Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:22:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDimension Drive
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dimension Drive  (Read 4860 times)
stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

Fight on two battlefields at once in this teleportation-based shoot'em up! Comicbook storytelling mixed with combat, defense & puzzles.

http://www.dimensiondrive.com/

Dimension Drive is a Dual-Battlefield Shoot'em up with a teleportation mechanic that seamlessly combines shooting, puzzle and defense mechanics into a comic book styled sci-fi space opera set in a multidimensional universe.

Story:

The Ashajuls, a cruel multidimensional alien race, are attacking our universe. Fight as Jackelyne Tywood (a.k.a. Jack) on board The Manticore, a legendary ship capable of teleporting across space and dimensions. Uncover the mysteries of your past and the origin of the Dimension Drives. Don’t worry you’ll never be alone, V.E.R.A. your trusty friend and A.I. will always be at your side.

Features:

• A new type of shoot’em up: Fast Dual-Screen vertical shoot’em up with teleportation.
  • Rich science fiction Adventure: Teleport your way across the multiverse fighting the ultimate threat. Unfold the secrets of your past and the creators of the Dimension Drives. Become a legendary space pilot.
  • Clever mix of three mechanics: shooting, puzzle and defense.
  • 2 games in your screen: multitask and single-handedly fight 2 shoot’em ups side-by-side.
  • 4 game modes: Arcade, Modern, Pacifism and 1 credit clear.
  • Comicbook art style: Video game meets comic. Experience the story of Jack through the motion comics and awe at the colour rich in-game comic art style. Who said space was black?
  • Energy concept: The Manticore is powered by the Dimension Drive energy. Carefully strategize and decide when and where are the best places to teleport.
  • Advanced scoring system: Obtain the best score in the leaderboards.
  • Teleportation! (We said that already, didn't we?)

PS: Yes, we are space engineers and we are developing Dimension Drive in our free time  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:16:10 AM by stilghar » Logged

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »

Screenshots (art not final)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:55:46 AM by stilghar » Logged

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »

Youtuber's Let's Plays

DIMENSION DRIVE LET'S PLAYS
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:54:49 PM by stilghar » Logged

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

Concept art, characters

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:55:28 AM by stilghar » Logged

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »

We have expanded the team working on the game and we are reworking all the graphics. An example, below, which one do you like better?

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »

More concept art by Max Heyder:

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »

Some color scheme concepts:

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

Not sure why this game hasn't gotten any comments yet, it's pretty spiffy.

Here's my thoughts from a quick playthrough:

• The presentation and audio are top notch. I especially liked the sound effects for collecting powerups and shield - they had a real arcade-y vibe to them.
  • I wish there was a bit more variety in enemy attacks. The boss at the end of stage 1 did a terrific job mixing things up with the dual lasers and that giant, screen-wiping green beam. I guess I'm just not as keen on bullet hells as I am SMHUPs, so dodging scores of slow moving blue bullets wore on me. I'm fine with bosses and even stronger enemies spamming those things, but maybe for smaller ships their projectiles could do things like: fire then stop after a short distance before exploding, fire a short distance, stop, then loosely home in on the player, etc.
  • The difficulty spike for stage 2 seemed pretty extreme. I was telling myself in stage 1, "I wonder if there will be collide-able terrain I can warp to avoid?" Then in the asteroid field there's that section with the slabs of rock you have to nudge barely against and warp to dodge followed by the giant, rotating meteors of doom. Maybe you could add a few collide-able objects in the first stage to ease the player into the game mechanics (buildings, space debris, etc.), or tone down the aforementioned area? Your call though - I could just be a filthy casual.
  • Will stage 2 have a boss, or is the level mainly about navigating the asteroid field? I didn't know if there's one planned and you just hadn't included it in the demo or not.

This should be a really solid game once it's done. I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and hope to see it completed.

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »

Hi Tyro, thanks for your comment! I also don't see why the game hasn't got any comments yet, it's a great game (I may be biased being one of the devs  Tongue Tongue Tongue )

• Glad you liked the presentation and audio. What you have seen so far in the demo is programmer art. This year we have brought 4 artists into the team and are completely rebuilding the graphics. We want them to make them much better, see the last concepts for the direction we are going to.
  • The demo (beta 0.5) was more a technical preview. For us to see where we could take this concept and mechanics. I do agree that the final game needs more variety and more enemies that exploit the 2 sides (like the boss at the end of level 1 you saw).
  • I also agree with you that the difficulty is all over the place. As I said, these stages were more focused on showing what things we can do with this concept. We will need to create a smooth difficulty curve for the final game. And we are definitely renaming the spinning rocks as rotating meteors of doom from now on!  Wink
  • Our plan is that not all stages will have bosses. We are splitting the game in several worlds and you'll find a boss at the end of each world. In any case the last part of every level will be more challenging than the rest, so even without boss they will be a challenge.

Thanks again for taking the time to give it a try!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:51:18 AM by stilghar » Logged

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »

New art style for Dimension Drive (wip).

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

New logo

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »

We've been working on the player ship, "The Manticore". Check it out  Smiley

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

Some more shots of The Manticore.

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »

Ilustration of Jack and The Manticore by Sergi Cardo for the motion comic cut-scenes.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »

The new art style looks great. I want to see more. FYI, some of your images are broken up top.

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »

some of your images are broken up top.

Thanks! Those were from the old version of the game and when we took them down from our site they also got lost here. I'll fix that post and upload new ones soon Smiley

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »

First posts updated with new screenshots and art.

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »

We just launched our Kickstarter campaign, help us if you can:

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »

this all looks fantastic, from the character art to the particle effects! good luck on the kickstarter  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 03:39:40 AM »

Thanks a lot James, the game is already on Kickstarter now in case you want to check it up  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic