Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:15:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEpic Fly - my first game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Epic Fly - my first game  (Read 1413 times)
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:09 AM »

Hello. My first game - Epic Fly is a game for Android, which i worked about 1 year, in the nights spent at home. Ok, in this time i actually learned how to make games .... and still learning. And best learn, putting into practice the lessons. Lessons on various free tutorials and forums, in the little time left between work, home and my son's homework. Finally, i took courage, and published the game on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dobro.EpicFly . The game is free. Waiting for your positive or negative opinions. All the best.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:08:00 AM by cricon » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:53 AM »

Your post was earnest enough that I was gonna check it out, but I don't have an android device.

Most folks, me included, don't check out new forumgoers (manbaby) games, because we have no expectation that you'll pay it forward and look at other folks' games. We're all developers here, after all, of one sort or another. Wink

I will say that your screenshots look very pretty and stylish, and as of this post, you have nothing but 7 5.0 reviews on the Google system. I don't know how grade inflation works there, but that seems pretty great.

Welcome to TIGSource! Hopefully you stick around!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »

Thanks. It means a lot. I'll stick around.
bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:10:56 AM »

This looks really polished for a first game, I'll download it and have a look after work today and get back to you with some comments.

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:31:10 AM »

Thanks bornander. I tried to make something beautiful. I know I have to work on gameplay.
bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »

I tried to make something beautiful.

And I think you did. Visually it's very good, and the game is polished. I think it's very, very impressive for your first game.

Well done!

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

Thanks for your kind words. And your game looks great and your gameplay is much better.
AMAXANG-GAMES
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »

It seems to be a nice game. The screenshots are well decorated and I think this game is a good start for your game development journey. Keep it up!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

I would like this in other devices than mobiles.

Why do people target that exclusively? I want to play your game!

Yeah.
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »

Thanks Amaxang-Games. I received encouragement and i will continue with other games.

Eyeliner, i want to publish the game for other platforms but i need time. I'm still a beginner. Thanks for your interest.
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:25:27 AM »

New update
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »

Hi, what a lot of dedication to make such a nice first game! I have installed and played your game to level 6. You asked for opinions, so I thought of some suggestions.

Because it looks so pretty, the English words look wrong.

In the game, the words are:
How much happiness bring beautiful things from our lives?
But what would happen...
...if we lose happiness
How far we could go, to recover it?

Help the toy plane to get home
Tap the screen to fly
Avoid obstacles
Collect the points
Success

Maybe the words could be:
With happiness, our lives are filled with beautiful things.
But imagine what would happen...
...if we lost that happiness?
How far would we go to recover "it"?

Help the little plane to maneuver
Use your finger, touch to fly up
Avoid the obstacles
Collect the lights for more stars
Get to the end and succeed

I also think when you hit the top or bottom, the plane should scrape along like it does on top, then break into pieces rather than falling down. But if you don't do that, make the plane crash for the same amount of time on the top and bottom.

I think the front propeller animation is very slow. Also it would be nice if there was some visual when you touch the screen to go up. For example, you could have an up arrow or even have the plane change color.

My last small opinion is to have some light particles behind the plane when you collect points so that it seems like the plane is surrounded.

I have to say good job on the story. It made it much better.
Uncle Scotty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »

Hi! I agree with the other posters that this is a very polished game for a first effort, well done! After playing a bit of it, I've got a few things that I've noticed and some minor suggestions.
-The font on the opening scene text has the bottom of the letters cut off (most obvious for letters that extend down like g, p, q)
- Adding a diagram to your instructions screen would be helpful for non-English speakers, and make the game more appealing to international audiences
- It would be cool if the propeller animation speed became faster as you tapped and held the tap, then slower as you released the tap.

Still, great job! I gave you a nice rating and +1 on Google to show my support. Please take a moment to check out my latest game if you get a chance. It's called Uncle Scotty's Arcade and is on Google Play. There is a thread in the Playtesting section where you can provide feedback for it if you'd like. Thanks!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnachronicDesigns.AATEOTU

Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:34:09 AM »

I got to level 16. I like that the levels are truly harder.

I have one more suggestion. Make it easier to know how many points you have and how many you need to get all three stars. Like I got 32 lights and lost one plane and I got 4400 points? That was one star... You could also have blue lights worth five pink lights. Or even better, the pink lights turn blue when they are close to the top or bottom so you get more rewards for those hard points.

Can you say what programs you used to make the art and the programming? You used some blender models? Did you use an engine?
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »

Because it looks so pretty, the English words look wrong.
Indeed, my english is not so good.

I also think when you hit the top or bottom, the plane should scrape along like it does on top, then break into pieces rather than falling down. But if you don't do that, make the plane crash for the same amount of time on the top and bottom.
This is a bug that i will try to fix it.

I think the front propeller animation is very slow. Also it would be nice if there was some visual when you touch the screen to go up. For example, you could have an up arrow or even have the plane change color.
My last small opinion is to have some light particles behind the plane when you collect points so that it seems like the plane is surrounded.
For some ideas, i was not thinking. Thanks. I hope it is not difficult to put into practice. I'll see what i can do.

I have to say good job on the story. It made it much better.
Thank you Boder.

Hi! I agree with the other posters that this is a very polished game for a first effort, well done!
Thanks Uncle Scotty.

-The font on the opening scene text has the bottom of the letters cut off (most obvious for letters that extend down like g, p, q)
The font that is. It Hobbo Std. I will not ever use it anymore.

- Adding a diagram to your instructions screen would be helpful for non-English speakers, and make the game more appealing to international audiences
Good to know.

- It would be cool if the propeller animation speed became faster as you tapped and held the tap, then slower as you released the tap.
This is a nice idea, that i was not thinking.

Still, great job! I gave you a nice rating and +1 on Google to show my support. Please take a moment to check out my latest game if you get a chance. It's called Uncle Scotty's Arcade and is on Google Play. There is a thread in the Playtesting section where you can provide feedback for it if you'd like. Thanks!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnachronicDesigns.AATEOTU
Thanks. I will.

I got to level 16. I like that the levels are truly harder.
I have one more suggestion. Make it easier to know how many points you have and how many you need to get all three stars. Like I got 32 lights and lost one plane and I got 4400 points? That was one star... You could also have blue lights worth five pink lights. Or even better, the pink lights turn blue when they are close to the top or bottom so you get more rewards for those hard points.
Can you say what programs you used to make the art and the programming? You used some blender models? Did you use an engine?
You're right Boder. For each point, finally get 100 points each. For every life that stay, you get 500 points each. For 3,500 points you get a star, two stars for 4500 and three stars for 5500 points. But i think i will lower the number of points for the stars.
And you have pointed and some good ideas.
Graphics i did in Photoshop, Adobe Flash and Blender. For sounds i worked in Audacity. For programming i used GameMaker.

Thank you for the many good ideas. If many i did not manage to implement in this game, it helps me a lot in the game  which i just started working. Thanks again and i waiting for further ideas and opinions.
LStro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »

Really good looking and polished game. The graphics are pleasant and the beginning story is really well done (although it's worded a bit strange). Overall, good work. I guess my biggest critique with Epic Fly is that the actual game-play is not that exciting and began to feel repetitive very quickly. I think that you could fix this by shortening the levels and then making more game components show up sooner. I got bored to be honest.
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »

You're right LStro. Perhaps i focused too much on graphics and less on the gameplay. I learned mistake, and i hope i will not repeat it. However, it is my first game. And i found it difficult to make it alone. I learn from your opinions and in the future, will be easier. Thanks LStro.
LStro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »

No problem and good luck on your future projects. I gave a shout out for your game over on /r/androidgaming by the way. You got some positive feedback.
cricon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:47 AM »

I did not know this site. Beautiful idea of you. Thanks Lstro.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic