Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:11:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingYou Have 8 Bricks - Short Intense Tower Climber
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: You Have 8 Bricks - Short Intense Tower Climber  (Read 3086 times)
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »

You Have 8 Bricks
PLAY HERE
(AKA Starling Tower, You Have 9 Bricks,Bunny Tower, Last Brick in The Wall, The Pit And I)

You wake up in a wall in some mysterious tower. You're pretty sure you don't want to be here. There's 7 guys just like you but still sleeping. Why don't you escape?
Maybe one of you will escape!
Maybe you'll unleash a powerful evil force upon the world!
Or maybe you'll just fail...

What's not done:Both Good and Bad Endings are disabled. Actually anything that would be too spoilery when the game is not done is disabled.
I'm working on a good preloader and a start screen that makes more sense, it's purely cosmetic so the game is almost done, even the bugs are taken care of.
This little game was on my backburner since 2012 , I'm so happy to be finally finishing it!
What are your thoughts?

It's finally done!
Thank you all for feedback, your suggestions really shaped the game.

DONE!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:41:33 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Mr_Triage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »

Wow, very intense and fast!  The game looks great.

I felt a little helpless when I was trapped between blue lines.  Maybe if the "danger" time was smaller?  I really liked how you warn the player about incoming danger.  Overall well done!

What did you use to make this?

Jordan

onirium-games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:06:44 AM »

Hey! I really liked your game. Graphics are sweet although at first it's hard to understand what's going on, probably because the difficulty starts pretty high. But the visual style is neat, I like it (square particles ftw!).

Funny thing: in my first tries I got killed by the vertical lasers, but I didn't immediately understand what was killing me. The lasers are obvious but I guess I was distracted by the rest. Felt a bit stupid afterwards :D

Well done, I had fun Smiley
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »

Haha that was my biggest concern, thanks for pointing it out. Lots of colours, shaking and fast action guarantees sensory overload!
Maybe one day I will draw something with more than 4 edges :D

Glad to hear you liked it!

Wow, very intense and fast!  The game looks great.

I felt a little helpless when I was trapped between blue lines.  Maybe if the "danger" time was smaller?  I really liked how you warn the player about incoming danger.  Overall well done!

What did you use to make this?

Jordan
Thanks for the suggestion! I messed around a bit and in the end changed exactly what you pointed out- there's less helplessness now! :D

It's flash as3 with starling and their particle system extension. And a lot of software to create everything except the stock music on my own  Wink

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:27:45 AM »

Quick feedback:

• I like how you slowly hand out instructions in the restart screen (like 'm mutes sound')
  • I found it very hard to start playing, maybe make that first set of jumps a little lower (just enough that you need to double jump maybe?). Even after playing for 5 minutes it's taking me multiple attempts to trigger it.
  • The way the initial blue platforms shake when you land on them made me think they were going to disappear in a second, so I was rushing off them.
  • When I was hit from below it shoots you upwards and immediately into a death laser for me - felt a bit unfair! Maybe they could shoot you directly upwards? Or you are immune for a couple of seconds after hitting one?
  • It's very hard!
  • Maybe when you die you could see your last run's score (height?) and your best run so far?
  • I like how it looks
  • I don't like the name

Nice work so far!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:31:59 AM »

nicely done. i like the effects and the handling of the cube. but its crazy difficult. I was dead in a few seconds and that did not give me much of an incentive to play more than a few times. starting was not an issue, i just spammed the space-key.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »

nicely done. i like the effects and the handling of the cube. but its crazy difficult. I was dead in a few seconds and that did not give me much of an incentive to play more than a few times. starting was not an issue, i just spammed the space-key.
Thank you for your thoughts!
I will try to make a bit more forgiving, but that's the main thing about this game - it's simple and difficult with a sprinkle of mystery and I'm working on the mystery right now.  Wink
I'm glad you didn't have problems with controls, I expected more people not knowing what to do. Shocked

• The way the initial blue platforms shake when you land on them made me think they were going to disappear in a second, so I was rushing off them.
  • When I was hit from below it shoots you upwards and immediately into a death laser for me - felt a bit unfair! Maybe they could shoot you directly upwards? Or you are immune for a couple of seconds after hitting one?
  • It's very hard!
  • Maybe when you die you could see your last run's score (height?) and your best run so far?
  • I like how it looks
  • I don't like the name
Quite insightful! I found a solution for an easier start, hopefully that will solve the problem. Smiley
I'm surprised by your concern with shaking platforms, that was actually a feature in previous prototypes, but it's cut now, I'll have a look.

Oh, but missiles and lasers are already instant deaths. So anything that happens after the first hit is just for show. I'll have to re-word instructions.

I did think about showing your best score but ultimately it provided more noise than incentive. Still, that's something I'd like to put in, I just don't know where. Shrug
Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:54:45 AM by Rarykos » Logged

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

First and foremost, you really need to add an Easter Egg for clicking on that orange dot on the title screen.  Wink

This game is really cool! Lots of little polishes and flares. Have you considered putting it on mobile? Seems like it'd fit nicely as an iPhone game.

I did have a minor control issue in the beginning - where it says "Press any Key," if I didn't hold in the key for a couple seconds it kicked me right back to that screen.

No performance issues on my end. Difficulty is a little steep. I'd suggest making the lasers a little thinner or the box a little smaller;

And, of course, a score display would be appreciated...

Netforza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 04:34:08 AM »

I think that you should ease the beginning, I didn't understood initially how to play.

Also it would be great to have a clear objective.
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »

At last almost everything is done! Just 2 art assets missing. With that I have some quick testing questions to ask about the game:
-Does it run at 60fps?
-Is the game too difficult?
-Did you finish it?
-Did you lose all 9 lives and the game cut to black?
-YES, the preloader is going to change, it's just placeholder art!

PLAY THE GAME
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:17:16 PM by Rarykos » Logged

BouncyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 03:44:49 AM »

Well, I have to say that was a fantastic slice of fun. I wish I could produce something that felt this good and felt so right.
Silverfell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »

-Does it run at 60fps? The FPS counter remained on 60fps the whole time, but the game did stutter noticeably in places (shortly before crashing, in fact)
-Is the game too difficult? No, it's a great mix of finger-twisting and quick strategic planning, with a good mixture of bastard random placement.
-Did you finish it? No, it crashed after I lost 9 lives.
-Did you lose all 9 lives and the game cut to black? Oh yes,
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »

Well, I have to say that was a fantastic slice of fun. I wish I could produce something that felt this good and felt so right.
Oh thank you, you're such a sweetheart !

@Silverfell
Thanks, that was very important to me, I knew it accumulated some waste along the line but I didn't know if anyone got any stutters. I hope it's sorted now! I'd really hate to study this garbage collection AGAIN  Angry

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

And it's done! Smiley

Thank you all for your support and suggestions!  Beer!
It's funny to look at the game that was a few months ago and now.
It turns out I started this game in January 2013, awesome for a game that can be beaten in 20 seconds. It can take you at best 320 seconds to win or lose this game. Or you can chill indefinitely on the ground floor if you're into idle games.
I'm anxious to see how it'll do!  Crazy
If anyone's interested, how do you like it now?
Play it here

Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »

Great camera work, adds a lot of weight to the bricks.

Not sure I get the mason stuff. Emotionally interesting but I guess I'm missing something.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic