Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:37:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIs Firstness possible in games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is Firstness possible in games?  (Read 909 times)
KohD
Level 0

I believe there's nothing to believe

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »

I'm studying about Charles Sanders Peirce and his theories about semiotics and so. Then I came into a tough question: Can we achieve Firstness in games?

For those who aren't familiar with the expression here's some quotes:

Wikipedia: "Firstness is the mode of being that of which is such as it is, positively and without reference to anything else.
Secondness is the mode of being that which is such as it is, with respect to a second but regardless of any third.
Thirdness is the mode of being that which is such as it is, in bringing a second and third into relation to each other."

Random Blog(synthetic knowledge):  Firstness is a quality, Peirce says firstness does not refer to anything nor does it lie behind anything else. The first is that which whose being is simply in itself (1. 356). It is the sensation of having only one thing occupying your thoughts and permeating your consciousness; you are so mesmerized that you are not even aware of anything else. For example if you stare at the colour red, so that your mind becomes so infused with the redness of that red: you are not actually aware that you are experiencing anything else (This is not actually firstness but it gives you a metaphorical sense or what it is). Another example of firstness is experiencing the absolute present directly (if that were ever possible!). It is a kind of unmediated meditative state without unity and without parts, it just "is."

So, Basically Firstness is that feeling that this experience is delightful and  that nothing else matters but also that you're not doing anything, you don't react you just appreciate, and feels, oh yeah the feels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

After some thinking and discussion I came to the conclusion that it would make more sense if it's classified as Secondness:

Now imagine being in this rapturous state of firstness and suddenly walking slap-bang into a lamppost. The shock of that experience, as you actually experience it, is secondness. Secondness is existential: a physical force, a shock that strikes you. Secondness is what makes a baby first realize (no doubt after it has hurt itself) that it is not the whole universe, but is part of a universe that has its own agenda, and one that is not necessarily conducive to the safety and comfort of the baby.

Which is the actual reaction of your body, you were feeling now you're reacting to it, you're pressing buttons, even if you're not thinking about it you're reacting to something.

But then I remembered the first time I played Super Mario Galaxy, I felt amazing, I wasn't thinking, just appreciating, but I was reacting to the game, I was pressing buttons. So... It would be categorized as secondness for the reactions but that feeling of wonder would just be some... bonus? IDK. But then I found some articles that said that you can achieve Firstness through dance, but isn't dancing reacting?

Thirdness is more on the way the player...erh... plays, so I'll not bring this into discussion but it's very interesting for the game designer to understand this theory.

Ok, question time: Do you think we can achieve Firstness on games or only a Secondness state?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:15:19 PM by KohD » Logged

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »

Oculus Rift is the only way to true firstness.

I feel silly saying that sentence...  Wink

Uykered
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

Is this basically like a novelty thing? I think most software/artwork does this. As in using Oculus and viewing some scenery with it would be a cool new original experience, but eventually will seem normal after a while and you'll want to do something more interesting.
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »

I'm all about the feels. If you can get the feels then I think you got the flirtyness.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic