Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:10:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211017 times)
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »

Also, ANSI Common Lisp by Graham for a CS class. Lisp is pretty fuckin' cool.

Practical Common Lisp for me. why-can't-i-hold-all-these-parentheses.lisp
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

well both stories are part of the same arc, aren't they?
And yeah vinge is the best author I've read in a long time.

Yeah, in book chronology it goes:

Deepness in the sky -> 20,000 years -> Fire Upon the Deep -> 10 years -> Children of the Sky.

And I'd rank them Deepness, Fire, Children.  Deepness and Fire are some of the most inventive sci-fi I've read in a long time.  Vinge writes aliens unlike anyone else I've ever read.  He manages to write them in a very real, relatable way despite the fact that they are completely foreign to the human experience (talking about the Spiders and the Tines).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1422 on: October 08, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

I read the second before the first and it wasn't very important because there is no real chronology between the two, I didn't even know there was a third book!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Fineldar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »

Also, ANSI Common Lisp by Graham for a CS class. Lisp is pretty fuckin' cool.

Practical Common Lisp for me. why-can't-i-hold-all-these-parentheses.lisp

I just finished The Little Schemer, which is like those books, but for babies.  You two obviously have a much higher grasp and appreciation for Lisp languages than I do.

I'm also reading Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  Not normally my thing but it's really good.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1424 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »

Finished reading The Cornelius Chronicles.  Probably my favorite thing by Moorcock so far, although I have to admit much of it confused the hell out of me.  There were times during the sentence-long chapters of A Cure for Cancer and the episodic scenes of The English Assassin that I missed the (relatively) straightforward but well-written and enjoyable The Final Programme.  However it all came together into a really effective package.  I'll probably want to read it a second time in the future and see if I can catch things I missed the first time around.

Now started reading Anansi Boys.

Ashkin
« Reply #1425 on: November 22, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »

Finished reading Ender's Game for the first time. I liked it. Now I'm reading 'Stories of Mystery From Lafcadio Hearn', a compilation of Japanese short stories based on myth and folklore.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: November 22, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »

That sounds wonderful, Ashkin! How are you liking it?
Ashkin
« Reply #1427 on: November 22, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

I'm actually really enjoying it so far. It reminds me of Mushishi, the anime, and I can see how they both draw from the same pool of inspiration. I've always found Japanese folklore much more interesting than that of other cultures. It's pretty much a collection of ghost stories, and the atmosphere is really inspiring to me.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 23, 2012, 07:28:26 AM »

Desert Solitaire

The memoirs of a man who worked for some time in a desert national park, alone. It is more or less a late-era transcendentalist work, though I expect if you told the author that he would beat the shit out of you. Very good.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1429 on: November 25, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »

Swords & Deviltry by Fritz Lieber

Read about the characters of the series and I realized I could relate to them so it gave me more reasons to buy the first book in the series.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1430 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »

Finished Beginning Android 4 games development and now starting with Pro Android games.

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 07, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

Eh, started working on the Game Maker for Beginners tutorials. Haven't really read in the last couple of weeks other than that.
indiePub
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1432 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »

I just finished the series A Song of Ice and Fire. Not sure what to read next!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1433 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »

Finished reading Oryx and Crake, now reading Man in the High Castle.

Uykered
« Reply #1434 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »

Almost done A Dance With Dragons, glad I kept reading the series it was great.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1435 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

I'm reading "A Storm of Swords" right now - these books are really amazing.  All the hype about them is definitely well-earned.

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1436 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

I'm reading "A Storm of Swords" right now - these books are really amazing.  All the hype about them is definitely well-earned.

I concur, I'm reading them as well and loving them

forwardresent
« Reply #1437 on: December 20, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »

I got my fiancée the first few books in the series... and the making of book... and the graphic novel. She really likes the TV show and I had no Christmas ideas. I kind of want to read them, but I haven't really enjoyed a fantasy book since Cry of the Icemark when I was like 12.

I've been reading Anna Anthropy's book Rise of the Video Game Zinesters lately, it's not bad.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1438 on: December 21, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Amazing ride, full of twists that I never saw coming. The ending was better than I ever could have imagined.
I want a videogame.

What's that you say?

Have started reading the first book now after seeing you guys mention it. Enjoying it so far Smiley

I read the Mistborn trilogy a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I really liked Vin as a character.

After that I read the follow-up book, Alloy of Law, and also Elantris, by the same author; both very good as well.

And the reason I started reading Sanderson was from a recommendation on the blog of Patrick Rothfuss, author of the sublime Name of the Wind which I heartily recommend. I may have mentioned it before in this thread, but not sure.

EDIT: Test Your Metal is a terrible, terrible catchphrase for the Mistborn game. Facepalm
Finally had the chance to finish the series. Was really impressed and now just trying to figure out what I should be reading next...

Ashkin
« Reply #1439 on: December 21, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

Finished Cat's Cradle, starting Slaughterhouse Five.
I'm not a drugs salesman. I'm a writer.
What makes you think a writer isn't a drug salesman?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic