Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:26:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211067 times)
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »

Just started Cloud Atlas. Extremely interesting so far.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

Books I've read recently:

Frank Herbert - Dune
Samuel R. Delany - Babel-17
Marta Randall - The Journey
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Wilson & Shea - Illuminatus!

Currently Reading:

Samuel R. Delany - Neveryona

DAISHI
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 29, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »

A Wizard of Earthsea.

The Golden Anvil - A Handdrawn Adventure Game

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32975.0
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

War with the Newts--Karel Capek

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1484 on: May 11, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »

I'm reading The Great Gatsby but the film isn't getting amazing reviews so I may not see it now...

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »

I have been reading various Larry Niven's Known Space books. All ring world ones and now few others. Good stuff.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 11, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

Suddenly, A Knock on the Door--Etgar Keret.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 11, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »

I have been reading various Larry Niven's Known Space books. All ring world ones and now few others. Good stuff.

In one of his books, while referencing the man-kzin war, he says that the humans won by re-purposing mining lasers into weapons.

The first image that popped into my mind was the cat-people charging at the humans, but then the humans masterfully distract them with laser pointers.

Larry Niven is alright. I've only read ring-world, engineers, a few short stories, and that one really bad novella that parodies Dante's Inferno.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1488 on: May 12, 2013, 12:35:20 AM »

In one of his books, while referencing the man-kzin war, he says that the humans won by re-purposing mining lasers into weapons.

The first image that popped into my mind was the cat-people charging at the humans, but then the humans masterfully distract them with laser pointers.

Larry Niven is alright. I've only read ring-world, engineers, a few short stories, and that one really bad novella that parodies Dante's Inferno.
Haha :D

Yeah, I have to say that he probably isn't my favorite scifi author but his books have so far sucked me in rather well. I think he isn't very good with producing interesting characters (with few exceptions) but his concepts and ideas compensate it rather well. Probably not going to read whole Known Space thing but only few which concern species I thought interesting (Protectors, Outsiders etc.) I guess I had a craving for some hard-scifi Tongue I probably should take  a look into Banks' Culture in future.

Other than Known Space I have read one interesting short story from Niven "Inconstant Moon". It had very neat concept and is worth of read.

Btw, I suggest reading the Ringworld's Children and skip (or read just synopsis) the Ringworld's throne. While the last two aren't as good as first two, the last one wraps things up rather neatly. Third one is rather bad though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:43:28 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #1489 on: May 12, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »

An Evil Cradling, Brian Keenan.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 12, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »

Just started reading The Book of Three. My first Prydain in over twenty years and it's still good! Smiley

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1491 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:03 AM »

I'm....I--

I don't know why I'm even doing it. I've even tried before and failed.

I can't help it. Somehow I feel compelled.

I'm reading Children of Dune Facepalm

olücæbelel
ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1492 on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »

Recently went through the Full Metal Alchemist Manga, now on a Dogsbody (obscure books n stuff)

Glad my friends are nice enough to lend me things to read  Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 13, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »

New Ideas from Dead CEOs. One book that has multiple success stories such as IBM, Walt Disney, Mary Kay Ash, Walmart, McDonalds, etc. Beer!
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

Not classic lit by any stretch.  But I dug out all the single issues for the full sweep of The Exterminators by Simon Oliver and Tony Moores on the arts.  Started busting into them again for the pure fun of the series.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1495 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

reading through some Y: the last man. and i'm like wow this comic is dum.

reading through some Mobius stuff and i'm like wow i wish i could draw this good.
Blambo
« Reply #1496 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »

No Country for Old Men. Coen brothers nailed the tone in the film.
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 14, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

reading through some Y: the last man. and i'm like wow this comic is dum.

reading through some Mobius stuff and i'm like wow i wish i could draw this good.

I've only read the first three or four issues of that in the book store before.  I grabbed Northlanders from the library this time out and was going to grab Y:the Last Man.  No good huh?? 
Is it too 'lofty' or unbelievable??

Back to the exterminators... now thats some good stuff.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1498 on: May 14, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

Haha :D

Yeah, I have to say that he probably isn't my favorite scifi author but his books have so far sucked me in rather well. I think he isn't very good with producing interesting characters (with few exceptions) but his concepts and ideas compensate it rather well. Probably not going to read whole Known Space thing but only few which concern species I thought interesting (Protectors, Outsiders etc.) I guess I had a craving for some hard-scifi Tongue I probably should take  a look into Banks' Culture in future.

Other than Known Space I have read one interesting short story from Niven "Inconstant Moon". It had very neat concept and is worth of read.

Btw, I suggest reading the Ringworld's Children and skip (or read just synopsis) the Ringworld's throne. While the last two aren't as good as first two, the last one wraps things up rather neatly. Third one is rather bad though.

I used to love Niven (especially Ringworld) when I was a kid...and then I grew up.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1499 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

No good huh?? 
Is it too 'lofty' or unbelievable??

Back to the exterminators... now thats some good stuff.

I don't know, it's interesting enough to keep me reading for now. Just to see what happens.

It starts out like it's going to say that girls are strong and powerful and stuff and yay women (or something like that), but then It's like. It's like eventually it becomes clear that he made this just because oh man he's the last bro alive and girls are turning to lesbos and licking his toes and killing each other and oh man.

It's very... comic booky.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic