Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:03:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211177 times)
forwardresent
« Reply #1540 on: July 11, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »

Cool! I just bought a bunch of Jeff Noon books after having finished Vurt and being awed by its originality. Currently reading through Pixel Juice but having a hard time getting through all the short stories. Every story is a new world and a new vocabulary which is both awesome and very tiresome.

Also read through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Probably one of my favorite Gaiman books.

I definitely recommend Pollen and Automated Alice also. His new book is called Channel Sk1n, it sounds interesting.
antoniodamala
« Reply #1541 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »

reading How To Read A Book and realizing I've been wrong the whole time.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1542 on: July 13, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »

Yeah, actually I heard about Banks because of Culture novels so I thought I should read couple of them. Thanks for recommendations, I'll probably take a look into those other books as well.

I'd like to get introduced into Culture series, where I should begin? Or does it matter which order I read the books?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:58:51 PM by Tumetsu » Logged

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1543 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

I just finished Sundiver (from the Uplift series of books) by David Brin. I liked the general concept but it was very dated and poorly written.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 14, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

I definitely recommend Pollen and Automated Alice also. His new book is called Channel Sk1n, it sounds interesting.

To bad amazone sent me Papillion (by Henri Charrière) by mistake when I orderded Pollen. Still got Falling out of cars, Nymphomation, and Automated Alice though, so my Jeff Noon fix will probably be satisfied for a while more. After that I might check out Channel Sk1n and Pollen though!

Speaking about that, Papillion is quite damn great so far. pretty happy I got it by accident.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1545 on: July 14, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »

I'm half way through Don Quixote, never managed to get past the first chapter when forced to read it in high school, and it is surprisingly enjoyable today.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1546 on: July 14, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

I just finished Sundiver (from the Uplift series of books) by David Brin. I liked the general concept but it was very dated and poorly written.
The uplift books are intersting as a saga, if not individually.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1547 on: July 14, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »

Learn Python The Hard Way by Zed A. Shaw.

Non-technical: Currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

I'm looking forward to reading some good fiction works, going to check out some of the stuff you guys are reading!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1548 on: July 14, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »

While we're talking books, can I get some suggestions for a good Fantasy book to dig into, given my tastes? I like the polish Witcher (read them in polish), Hobbit was enjoyable, and Spell for Chameleon was alright but a little too silly at time. I enjoyed the first Name of the Wind but got sick of the repetitiveness/stupidity few hundred pages into second book.

Basically, I dont much care for "generic" fantasy, longwinded dry stuff (LOTR) or actiony bits (long battles), but more interested in deeper story, motifs, and ideas. I know Game of Thrones been recommended before, but what else can you guys throw at me?
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1549 on: July 14, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

While we're talking books, can I get some suggestions for a good Fantasy book to dig into, given my tastes? I like the polish Witcher (read them in polish), Hobbit was enjoyable, and Spell for Chameleon was alright but a little too silly at time. I enjoyed the first Name of the Wind but got sick of the repetitiveness/stupidity few hundred pages into second book.

Basically, I dont much care for "generic" fantasy, longwinded dry stuff (LOTR) or actiony bits (long battles), but more interested in deeper story, motifs, and ideas. I know Game of Thrones been recommended before, but what else can you guys throw at me?

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar books or Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series. I think they'd fit the bill nicely.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1550 on: July 14, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »

Robin hobb is my favourite. Try Farseer trilogy and then Tawny man trilogy. Her Soldier Son trilogy is also great.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:50:55 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 15, 2013, 06:16:36 AM »

Borrowed quite a few books from the local library. As much as I rely on PDFs I still like to have something physical, you know.

Some physics, computer engineering, and space tech books, one about Fermat's last theorem, the first Dirk Gently, and The Songs of Distant Earth. They didn't have SICP though... (which is understandable since they don't have that many English books and no translation exists)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »

Catcher in the Rye.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

Catcher in the Rye.
Isn't that book the one that stupid people say it influenced of of those recent shootings? I must say, I know the name, but not the book itself.

I'm reading C# Yellow Book from Rob Miles.

Yeah.
WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: July 16, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »

Lord of light - Roger Zelazny
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1555 on: July 17, 2013, 04:30:41 AM »

Selections from Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies and the totality of Come On, Rain for what was one of the most rewarding ESL classes I've ever taught. And I read them upside down.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1556 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

O Senhor Ventura - Miguel Torga

I read 1984 about a month ago and it was pretty great. I also want to read the Orwell's Animal Farm after I finish some pending stuff.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1557 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »

Lord of light - Roger Zelazny

One of my favorites, I freaking love Zelazny.

Personally, I'm indulging in some Phillip K. Dick with A Scanner Darkly.

Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1558 on: August 25, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »

Right now I'm finishing off The Cuckoo's Calling, but I'm most excited about the next book on my list - Riddley Walker.

Stimor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:45 AM »

i cant read

Nothing is going to change unless you change things for the worse
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic