Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:06:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211198 times)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »

The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent_of_Money

I am about half way through it, it is really interesting. I enjoy how it shows different financial concepts evolve from specific needs throughout history. I also like how it really explores the Jewish perspective of banking.

Think happy thoughts.
racarate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: April 09, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

"Storytelling in Animation"

http://www.amazon.com/Storytelling-Animation-Art-Animated-Image/dp/0573606978/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397107636&sr=1-24

It's great! Interviews with 1988-era Pixar, a roundtable on storyboarding, and a really cranky contrarian disparaging all non-experimental non-non-objective/representational animation.  Definitely turned me on to a lot of art from the past 100 years, and the talk about "linguistic transcending visual artform" seems pretty apt for what we do.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: April 11, 2014, 06:29:19 PM »

"God Emperor of Dune" - I think it might be my favorite in the series; I might even like it more than the original.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1683 on: April 14, 2014, 01:25:05 AM »

"God Emperor of Dune" - I think it might be my favorite in the series; I might even like it more than the original.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. This reminds me, however, that I never finished the original but have read the rest of the series, so I'm putting all the rest of my leisurely reading on hold until I finish it.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: April 15, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »

I'm glad you're enjoying it. This reminds me, however, that I never finished the original but have read the rest of the series, so I'm putting all the rest of my leisurely reading on hold until I finish it.
The beginning of "Dune Messiah" must have been pretty confusing for you, then, right?

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »

Really enjoyable read so far.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1686 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »

The beginning of "Dune Messiah" must have been pretty confusing for you, then, right?

Not at all. My first introduction to Dune was the movie, so I already had a bit of an idea of what I was getting myself into. Also, reading and watching science fiction has been a passion of mine for over two decades, and Herbert's intricate books aren't the most perplexing sci fi stories I've ever read to the point of comprehension.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 16, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »

Been reading Dune again over the last couple of months.
At the tail end of Chapterhouse and can't make up my mind if I'm prepared to risk spoiling it all by continuing into the Brian and Anderson follow up.
Read a few of their previous additions and found them to be mediocre at best.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36:49 AM »

Just getting to the end of Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.  Its a pretty good fantasy read, especially if you also read his first trilogy since although his later books all tell different stories and can be read in isolation, they are also all set in the same world as that first trilogy.  Characters make appearances across the different books and events from some books influences the stories of others etc so the more you read the more you get out of it which is nice.

Also my copy of Lockstep just recently arrived in the post which I'm looking forward to diving into next.  Its got a really interesting concept.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:45:08 AM by motorherp » Logged
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1689 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »

Not at all. My first introduction to Dune was the movie, so I already had a bit of an idea of what I was getting myself into. Also, reading and watching science fiction has been a passion of mine for over two decades, and Herbert's intricate books aren't the most perplexing sci fi stories I've ever read to the point of comprehension.
Ahh, I see.  I had actually seen the movie long before reading the book, so fortunately I had forgotten the movie (and Sting, etc.) while reading the book.

I just finished God Emperor, reading Heretics now.  After letting it set, I think I can say that God Emperor is my favorite of series so far.  [spoiler]You begin the book seeing Leto II as perfect, only to gradually see his possible fallacy as the book progresses.  This, and the interplay of the unique characters (Moneo, Duncan, Hwi, etc.) are my favorite aspects.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:03:02 PM by Theta » Logged

Nitishajack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 18, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »

Currently reading Time Shifters, which is excellent.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 18, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

REading C# in depth which is amazing if you are a language nerd

Otherwise I just found out enders game has a crapload of sequel books. I'm currently reserving them at the library.

loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1692 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »

I'm still reading Matter of Britain's stuff like Taliesin by Stephen R. Lawhead. And I recently bought The Fall of Arthur by Tolkien. I hope this last one is not too difficult to read since it's a poem in old english :D

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1693 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »

I've been reading 100 Years of Solitude. It's phenomenal.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 08, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »

A few weeks ago I read "You Can't Win," the memoirs of Jack Black (a burglar from the early 1900s, not the tenacious d guy)

It was an interesting look at the time and profession

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1695 on: June 17, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

"Genevous Pandaral was tall and not, as yet, very old for all his thick shock of white hair which, together with his white, fluffy sideburns, gave him a look of dignity and distinction."

I see Asimov wasn't beyond self-insertion.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ink.inc
« Reply #1696 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality
Cacti Werk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »

The Better Angels of Our Nature.

Anyone redditb4?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1698 on: June 17, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »

have any of you guys read Hannu Rajaniemi's stuff? they have cringe-inducing names (the quantum theif? the fractal prince? uggggh), but are pretty wild. like the more speculative of Stross mixed with the exotic cultures of Banks.

anyway, i just got done with both of those and am pretty jazzed about em.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 17, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »

cats cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

I'd say it's one of his better books but I've noticed I say that every time I read a book by him. It's really hard to rank them.

Also just read Usagi Yojimbo. I was doing a hike through the city and went past the comic book store. Picked out that and another one called Grendel. Usagi Yojimbo was great, this is gonna get expensive :|

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic