Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:45:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211167 times)
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: January 13, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

I'm reading "Capital in The 21st Century". Biased but good nonetheless. Should be read en masse.

This seems like something I should pick up. Capital is still a very mysterious topic for me.

By any chance, have you read "Why Nations Fail"? That was the last book I read that made me feel my understanding of the world increased.
Nope, but it's on my list... and since you've recommended it I've raised it to the top Grin. Thank you Gentleman.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1741 on: January 13, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »

currently reading Raymond Feist's books, mostly because that's all I have with me. On Sons of Krondor series now

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: January 13, 2015, 11:53:08 PM »

"The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts.

One of those books everyone should read, it makes the 'all is one' rhethoric sound miraculous instead of depressing. Also the first time ever when I could finally imagine dying as this wonderful finale to be rejoiced - you take off your human mask, congratulate yourself on a role well played and dissolve back into the world.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1743 on: January 14, 2015, 01:39:19 AM »

"The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts.

One of those books everyone should read, it makes the 'all is one' rhethoric sound miraculous instead of depressing. Also the first time ever when I could finally imagine dying as this wonderful finale to be rejoiced - you take off your human mask, congratulate yourself on a role well played and dissolve back into the world.

That sounds amazing, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 14, 2015, 03:20:33 AM »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep: Phillip K. Dick
It's a hella cool book
loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1745 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43:25 AM »

I am reading an encyclopedia on the Holy Grail by Jean Markale. This must be my 12th book on the subject I read, but I think it should have been the very first one :D

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1746 on: January 15, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »

The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson
Such a great series. I don't know why it doesn't/didn't get more attention.
JashLaviu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 20, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »

I'm reading "Cien años de soledad" (One Hundred Years of Solitude), by Gabriel García Marquez.
I'm reading it in the original language, so I don't know if people can apreciate it in English, but I think it's wonderful. While I read, I feel I'm floating. I love Garcia Marquez' prose. It's magic and really creative.

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

I didn't finish reading it (yet!), but I everyone should give it a try, although I can understand is not a book everyone likes.

Remember nobody is born knowing!  Twitter @JashLaviu

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1748 on: January 22, 2015, 01:12:23 AM »

Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene

OK, so he's a bit of a prat in the meat-world, but it's hard to deny his intelligence regarding genetics and evolution Smiley

gwartney21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1749 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »

I am currently reading the passionate programmer  Creating a Remarkable Career in Software Development.

My name is Alex Gwartney I am currently a college student attending online classes at University of Phoenix. I am pursuing my associates degree in computer science with a concentration in Software Development.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: January 22, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »

Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene

OK, so he's a bit of a prat in the meat-world, but it's hard to deny his intelligence regarding genetics and evolution Smiley
The Selfish Gene is really good book and really improved my understanding of evolution and genes. I also suggest you to read the The Greatest show on Earth.

Tbh, my image of Dawkins transformed totally after actually reading his books. One can get pretty negative picture of him through media because many people seem to (purposefully?) mis-interpret him or some of his comments which is then spread further in media.  Though I think in recent years he has hardened a bit especially in Twitter which personally I find understandable (though maybe not justifiable?)  considering some of the people he has to deal with regularly.

---

I'm reading at the moment Bertrand Russell's essays and Practice of WIld by Gary Snyder. I find Russell pretty intriguing philosopher. I once read Nietzsche's Beyond good and evil which seemed to be intentionally written in complex way (or I'm just plebe!) while Russell's text is mostly really clear and without bullshit and the difficulty comes from complex thoughts and ideas not from tough text. It's also interesting that Russell talks about some of the ideas which I thought were much more recent or some which afaik science proved only much later. That being said, I'm a software-engineer, not a philosopher so what do I know Shrug

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1751 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

I'm a software-engineer, not a philosopher so what do I know Shrug
You cannot be a software-engineer without being a philosopher;)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1752 on: January 23, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »

Got mad at the new Man in the High Castle show that Amazon made, so now I'm re-reading Man in the High Castle.

thundercroak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »

Ropert Nystrom Game Programming Patterns
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1754 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:49 AM »

Got mad at the new Man in the High Castle show that Amazon made, so now I'm re-reading Man in the High Castle.
In what way? I haven't read the book but I watched that pilot and it seemed okay.

Been meaning to read the book, I like a lot of Philip K Dick stuff.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: February 10, 2015, 07:01:52 AM »

Vestigial possessive morphology in Na-Dene and Yeniseian

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1756 on: February 11, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »

Just finished the Southern Reach trilogy. Was pretty impressed with it (although book 2 was a little meh at times). One of my favorite reads in a long time, fo sho  Crazy

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1757 on: February 13, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »

wolf in white van is really good

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:23 PM »

Read through Understanding and explaining applicatives yesterday.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1759 on: February 19, 2015, 03:19:28 AM »

Just finishing off a stint with Roger Lancelyn Green (The Tale of Troy, Tales of the Greek Heroes, King Arthur and The Adventures of Robin Hood) and the postman has just delivered my next reads

Arnie's Autobiography, Moneyball and the final Lucifer Box novel - exciting times ahead!

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic