Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:08:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211185 times)
citizen5
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:00 AM »

Just finished 'The Slow Regard of Silent Things' by Pat Rothfuss.

Brilliant and bittersweet.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1761 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »

So Total Recall was incredible, actually mind blowing. Best book I've read in 2015, that guy is an inspiration.

Also dozed through The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything, it didn't teach me anything new per-se but gave me lots to think about and has been useful for interesting conversational topics. Recommended.

Might finally get round to buying Think Like a Freak, I really enjoyed the first two Freakonomics books... hmm...

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 18, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »

I've read Tynan Sylvester's "Designing Games: A guide to engineering experiences" and it was very interesting and kind of mind blowing. It's the first real book on game design I've read so far and I've learned a lot from it. It explains a great deal of the psychology that goes into making an enjoyable experience for a human being, and I believe that the stuff you learn in that book can also be very valuable to your daily life. Anyways, someone's probably mentioned it before on this thread. I was just too lazy to go through the 80+ pages of it.

bttf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 18, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »

wolf in white van is really good

I just read this by John Darnielle a few months ago and thought it was good too. I never heard of 'play-by-mail' games until reading that book. Playing an RPG through the mail - if that isn't the most hardcore thing then I don't know what is.

Currently I'm reading Moby Dick. I like Melville's writing style; he is hilarious.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1764 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

I just got a first edition of On the Origin of Species. Haven't gone through an entire book in years, this is gonna take me a while...

Oh god make it stop.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1765 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »

I just got a first edition of On the Origin of Species. Haven't gone through an entire book in years, this is gonna take me a while...

A reprint or a very old book? I love old books, but my oldest is only from early 1880's, I think Origin is a few decades at least older (and probably expensive?)?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 29, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »

Old fiction might be timeless, but I really don't like or see the point in reading outdated science when I could be looking at the latest research instead and get current information...

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1767 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »

cuz the history of science is fun in itself

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 29, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »

Sure, but I'd prefer to read a summary of Darwin's original ideas cross-referencing modern materials and showing where his original thoughts have been proven wrong today on Wikipedia or something and not his whole book. Sad

But each to their own!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1769 on: March 29, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »

afaik the first edition didn't go into enough detail about the actual mechanisms to get anything wrong really

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1770 on: March 29, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »

Old fiction might be timeless, but I really don't like or see the point in reading outdated science when I could be looking at the latest research instead and get current information...

To be honest I get old books mostly for the copyright-free drawings. But it can be entertaining and sometimes enlightening to read things from a different perspective.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1771 on: March 29, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »

I just finished BLINDSIGHT
first contact story written by a marine biologist
future humans rip out half their brains replace with machines
or live in virtual reality land
but this is about a ship of "freaks", sent to explore an alien radio signal...
and then things get crazy.

lots of chinese room discussion,plays on consicousness and our ideas of learning, self and awareness.
incredibly excellent pacing sentence to sentence and paragraph to paragraph
charles stross even said it refedines the first contact story

so freaking read it

www.amazon.com/Blindsight-Peter-Watts/dp/0765319640/

loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1772 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »

I just finished The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. Some esoteric book that inspired The Da Vinci Code.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 01, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »

Picked up a physical grammar on Ancient Greek (Homer style) I've owned for years now but never really opened. But even so, I actually found a coffee stain in it. I'm so typical me that I'm almost a caricature of myself. Why are there coffee stains on everything I own?

Interesting layout, tho. 16 pages in and I'm already inflecting a lot and translating actual sentences from the Odyssey pretty effortlessly. Really cool.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1774 on: April 04, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

Picked up a physical grammar on Ancient Greek (Homer style) I've owned for years now but never really opened. But even so, I actually found a coffee stain in it. I'm so typical me that I'm almost a caricature of myself. Why are there coffee stains on everything I own?

Interesting layout, tho. 16 pages in and I'm already inflecting a lot and translating actual sentences from the Odyssey pretty effortlessly. Really cool.
Nice.

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 07, 2015, 02:20:30 AM »

I read the Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I loved The Trial but not sure what to make of this one. A pretty bizarre store, though.
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:05 AM »

I'm reading 'The way of kings' by Brandon Sanderson, a good book in my opinion. I want to improve my English reading skills and my vocabulary. The learning curve was hard at first, but I've read about 400 pages and I'm eager to know more about Kaladin, Dalinar and the other characters!
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 08, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »

Just got Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment today, v e r y excited to read it
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 15, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »

Bought one of these, loved it, so I bought the set. They're a kind of book known as gamebooks where it plays a bit like an RPG with multiple branching paths that connect with each other, stats management, item management, dice rolls, combat and multiple decisions that dictate what numbered section you go to next to progress the story.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 15, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »

Had to ride the train back and forth today, so I got a few more chapters read in my Icelandic crime novel. Might be able to finish it when I have to get on the train again next week.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic