Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056771 Posts in 42926 Topics- by 34871 Members - Latest Member: radik

October 23, 2014, 11:43:01 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 138873 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1500 on: May 12, 2013, 12:35:20 AM »

In one of his books, while referencing the man-kzin war, he says that the humans won by re-purposing mining lasers into weapons.

The first image that popped into my mind was the cat-people charging at the humans, but then the humans masterfully distract them with laser pointers.

Larry Niven is alright. I've only read ring-world, engineers, a few short stories, and that one really bad novella that parodies Dante's Inferno.
Haha :D

Yeah, I have to say that he probably isn't my favorite scifi author but his books have so far sucked me in rather well. I think he isn't very good with producing interesting characters (with few exceptions) but his concepts and ideas compensate it rather well. Probably not going to read whole Known Space thing but only few which concern species I thought interesting (Protectors, Outsiders etc.) I guess I had a craving for some hard-scifi Tongue I probably should take  a look into Banks' Culture in future.

Other than Known Space I have read one interesting short story from Niven "Inconstant Moon". It had very neat concept and is worth of read.

Btw, I suggest reading the Ringworld's Children and skip (or read just synopsis) the Ringworld's throne. While the last two aren't as good as first two, the last one wraps things up rather neatly. Third one is rather bad though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:43:28 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

Ashkin
Level 10

meow

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 12, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »

An Evil Cradling, Brian Keenan.
surt
Level 5

Meat by-product.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1502 on: May 12, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »

Just started reading The Book of Three. My first Prydain in over twenty years and it's still good! Smiley

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1503 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:03 AM »

I'm....I--

I don't know why I'm even doing it. I've even tried before and failed.

I can't help it. Somehow I feel compelled.

I'm reading Children of Dune Facepalm

olücĉbelel
ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1504 on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »

Recently went through the Full Metal Alchemist Manga, now on a Dogsbody (obscure books n stuff)

Glad my friends are nice enough to lend me things to read  Smiley

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 13, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »

New Ideas from Dead CEOs. One book that has multiple success stories such as IBM, Walt Disney, Mary Kay Ash, Walmart, McDonalds, etc. Beer!
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

Not classic lit by any stretch.  But I dug out all the single issues for the full sweep of The Exterminators by Simon Oliver and Tony Moores on the arts.  Started busting into them again for the pure fun of the series.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
peanutbuttershoes
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1507 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

reading through some Y: the last man. and i'm like wow this comic is dum.

reading through some Mobius stuff and i'm like wow i wish i could draw this good.

wat a hell

BLAMBO
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #1508 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »

No Country for Old Men. Coen brothers nailed the tone in the film.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 14, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

reading through some Y: the last man. and i'm like wow this comic is dum.

reading through some Mobius stuff and i'm like wow i wish i could draw this good.

I've only read the first three or four issues of that in the book store before.  I grabbed Northlanders from the library this time out and was going to grab Y:the Last Man.  No good huh?? 
Is it too 'lofty' or unbelievable??

Back to the exterminators... now thats some good stuff.

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1510 on: May 14, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

In one of his books, while referencing the man-kzin war, he says that the humans won by re-purposing mining lasers into weapons.

The first image that popped into my mind was the cat-people charging at the humans, but then the humans masterfully distract them with laser pointers.

Larry Niven is alright. I've only read ring-world, engineers, a few short stories, and that one really bad novella that parodies Dante's Inferno.
Haha :D

Yeah, I have to say that he probably isn't my favorite scifi author but his books have so far sucked me in rather well. I think he isn't very good with producing interesting characters (with few exceptions) but his concepts and ideas compensate it rather well. Probably not going to read whole Known Space thing but only few which concern species I thought interesting (Protectors, Outsiders etc.) I guess I had a craving for some hard-scifi Tongue I probably should take  a look into Banks' Culture in future.

Other than Known Space I have read one interesting short story from Niven "Inconstant Moon". It had very neat concept and is worth of read.

Btw, I suggest reading the Ringworld's Children and skip (or read just synopsis) the Ringworld's throne. While the last two aren't as good as first two, the last one wraps things up rather neatly. Third one is rather bad though.

I used to love Niven (especially Ringworld) when I was a kid...and then I grew up.

peanutbuttershoes
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1511 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

No good huh?? 
Is it too 'lofty' or unbelievable??

Back to the exterminators... now thats some good stuff.

I don't know, it's interesting enough to keep me reading for now. Just to see what happens.

It starts out like it's going to say that girls are strong and powerful and stuff and yay women (or something like that), but then It's like. It's like eventually it becomes clear that he made this just because oh man he's the last bro alive and girls are turning to lesbos and licking his toes and killing each other and oh man.

It's very... comic booky.

wat a hell

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 14, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »

Kings in Disguise--James Vance/Dan Burr

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 15, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »

Local--Brian Wood, Ryan Kelly

forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1514 on: May 15, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

Started reading Drive, probably going to read Driven too. It's good so far.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: May 16, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »

The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God+other stories--Etgar Keret

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 19, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »

The Great Gatsby--F. Scott Fitzgerald.

BLAMBO
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #1517 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »

Get ready to hate every single character.

forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1518 on: May 20, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

Harlan Ellison - Paladin of the Lost Hour

It's a really good short story, you can also download a .rm of Harlan Ellison reading it / watch the Twilight Zone episode.

EDIT: A little extra treasure. The best reading of anything I have ever heard, I liked this story so much I got the last line tattooed to my wrist.

Harlan Ellison reading 'I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream.'
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:38:12 PM by forwardresent » Logged
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »

Harlan Ellison - Paladin of the Lost Hour

It's a really good short story, you can also download a .rm of Harlan Ellison reading it / watch the Twilight Zone episode.

I love Harlan Ellison.  I remember the first time I ever found one of his books.  There was an old used book store by the house I grew up in.  The owners who ran it grew a garden on top of the building, and were quite awesome people.  Big beards, and lots of colors is what I remember most about the husband and wife team.  My mother and brother were offered to buy the store when they wanted to pack up and go gypsy.  The point is:  I walked to the counter at the ripe age of 17 and saw a stack of paperbacks that weren't priced or put out yet and one of them was 'Love ain't Nothing but Sex Misspelled' and there you have it.  The first author's foreword by him I ever read.
And I look forward to those forewards ever since.  Alliteration much, Buffy??  Or Stan Lee??

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic