Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:36:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel It
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel It  (Read 1393 times)
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »

I don't know if this belongs in Workshop or not.

Art is expensive, waaaaaaah. Hey, says me, what if I can do it myself? That just costs time. "Time is money, friend" says the goblin merchant from World of Warcraft. Fuck off goblin, you don't know me.

I tried my hand at pixel art, I think I did sort of okay, I mean it looks human. Here, I was going for a peasant sort of look. I couldn't think of any more detail to add to the shirt so it looks kind of meh. It's the first pixel art thing I've ever draw from scratch, I've done a lot of basic editing but that's about it. I'll be adding onto this piece over time, like armour/weapons and stuff.

I'm just here for improvement. I use Photoshop CS5. Also just general tips I need, I drew this at 1 pixel = 1 pixel then scaled up the image, but I feel like that's not how it's supposed to be done.

So, list a thing and I'll try to pixel art it. But not like "Hey pixel-art the mona lisa lololol."

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »

I drew this at 1 pixel = 1 pixel then scaled up the image, but I feel like that's not how it's supposed to be done.
There is no "wrong way" to draw.

Anyway,
Pixel a dragon.
I'm serious.
Challenging yourself is how you get better, draw something hard.
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »

A dragon? Alright well this will take a while, prepare for some crap pixel art. Big Laff

Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »

A dragon? Alright well this will take a while, prepare for some crap pixel art. Big Laff

Better to make a bunch of crap and learn then stick to what you're comfortable drawing.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:26:06 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »

This sounds interesting.

Drawing it a 1px = 1px and scaling it up later is absolutely fine. Just don't scale it up so it blurs the pixels together.

After you're done with the dragon, do it again, but in a different, "non-dragon-like" pose, with different proportions and colors. Try to emphasize the lighting conditions.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »

Is it even possible to create pixel art without 1:1 and then enlarging? I don't mean that literally, but come on, I think it's safe to assume nobody draws 2x2 pixel squares with a 1px brush, that would be insane.

So yeah, where's our dragon?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:25:48 PM by s-spooky g-g-ghosts » Logged

Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »

Afaik a lot of stuff in Fez was done with PS then sized up

Draw a tank
Canned Turkey
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

Draw a tank AFTER the dragon.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »

Draw a flame tank transformer that transforms into a fire-breathing dragon.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
DaHog
Level 0

Nothing to see here

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »

Draw a mega hyper flame tank transformer that transforms into a fire-breathing dragon.
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:35 AM »

draw a duck

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »

I think that pixeling random things isn't the best answer, try doing really neccessary game assets (to games you like to make). For me I instantly think trees, grass, rocks, rotting logs, clouds, fences, etc. At the same time maybe swords/barrels/crates/horses/stonewalls might be more suited to your liking or even spaceships/controlpanels/meteors/flames/coffeemugs/testtubes might be more what you want. Just practice stuff that makes sense for your games, whether or not you use them, it'll help you with the things that are important for what you're working on.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic