Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:49:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIsometric Pixel Platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Isometric Pixel Platformer  (Read 4281 times)
CypherCove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »

I think the controls feel pretty good. The character control feels tight.

I agree with lobstersteve's comment. The character should pass behind walls on the right to help sell the perspective. And the character should overlap left walls by half the wall width as well.

I initially clicked this just because I was intrigued at what an actual isometric platformer might look like (although now that I think about it, it would be like Super Mario RPG). So I don't think isometric is the right way to describe this game.
TdollasAKATmoney
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »

As far as gameplay is concerned I like where you're taking it. Level design was fun, and you can feel a slight increase in difficulty as you progress.

I enjoy the simplistic graphics, but some levels seemed very bland, and could use some graphical additions.

Aside from the few grammatical errors, the only thing I could think of adding would be either a death counter, or even a timer so gamers can compare scores. Great work with the game so far and I'm looking forward to where you take it from here!
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »

hello, I played your game and wrote down some feedback

it would probably feel better if the cannons and their projectiles were bigger. since the cannons are in pairs of two, you should just make the cannon twice as big, as well as their projectiles. also give them sound effects!

I'm not a fan of the screen transition when you die or go in a door. it's not snappy enough!

I assume I can move right away after respawning but that's not the case and it's kinda annoying

I like the springs

Sima
Level 0

Indie Gamedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 12:06:13 AM »

I beat the last level twice before recognizing that the game is most likely over. Grin
Great gameplay, it feels fast and precise! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Cool art style, the platforms remind me of Fortress of Fear (Game Boy). Not sure if it's just me, but it looks like the character's skull is growing when he dies. How does a skull of that size fit into this little demon head? Must be some kind of black magic. Wink

Looking at the screenshots, I really expected some cool chiptune soundtrack -- maybe grab a free copy of FamiTracker and compose your own music for it? Would be nice.

Keep up the good work!

Currently working on

Join our Discord to follow the development: https://discord.gg/D6CkrUu
lobstersteve
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »

Alright..so after a long break where i wasn't motivated at all to work on this game, i decided to finish it.
I guess i didn't work on it, because the game isn't that innovative and i already had the programming skills to make basicly everything, so i didn't learn much new things during the process. Some of my friends really liked it though and it was so far in development that it would be a pity to trash it, even if the game is pretty basic.
I think in the end, the game still has some charme and is polished enough to be fun.

A lot of changes happened since the old build:

• The moving platforms are fixed (or at least much more stable)
  • A bunch of new levels
  • An ending cutscene
  • New music
  • A bunch of decorations in the background (That part was actually fun, to see the levels become more alive)
  • A lot of small stuff, i don't want to list here
  • Made some wagon riding levels and removed them afterwards, because they seemed unnecessary and not fun

..The game is called tower escape now by the way

I would really appreciate some last playthroughs, because i'd like to release the game soon

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:00:18 AM by lobstersteve » Logged
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »

The game just feels, right.  The difficulty wasn't huge, but it wasn't easy.  The art was consistent, and I had no glitches or errors.  I'd say this was a successful prototype on your part.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

This turned out pretty well. I had some issues with jumping (both momentum and the character just failing to jump) but it was probably just me not being used to the handling yet. I like the new music.

I only really have two "issues" to mention:

-The controls are weirdly inconsistent. Why can't I use the keyboard on the title screen (in addition to the mouse, not instead of it)? Why is Space used for dialogue when X would've worked just fine and been more consistent with the rest of the game?

-There's game hits its difficulty plateau pretty early on and some of the later levels are a lot easier than I'd expect late-game levels to be.

Neither of those "issues" is game-breaking, though, and I thought it was a decent game overall.

Newgrounds gave me issues (probably because I'm using a nightly build of Firefox) so I downloaded the SWF file to play. On my third time running the game (I went back to check something), I got this error upon starting the first level:

Code:
TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
at IsometricgameColorTestForegrounds_fla::MainTimeline/alwaysOnTop()
at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/addChild()
at fl.transitions::Blinds/_initMask()
at fl.transitions::Blinds()
at fl.transitions::TransitionManager/startTransition()
at IsometricgameColorTestForegrounds_fla::MainTimeline/coinCollision()

Hitting "Continue" made two more errors come up, but then the level started and seemed completely fine. Then I got to level three or so:

Code:
ArgumentError: Error #2025: The supplied DisplayObject must be a child of the caller.
at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()
at canon/movement()

Like the other levels, it seemed just fine once I got rid of the error messages. Maybe there's a way to suppress those error pop-ups, since they don't seem to affect anything? Maybe you're already doing that and the only reason I saw them is that I was running the SWF directly. Dunno. Just thought I'd post these things in case you needed to know about them.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
lobstersteve
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »

Thx a lot quicksand.
Yeah, i know this errors. they happen due to transitions, where the black screen appears, and there is a loop that checks that every object should be behind it...sometimes an object already gets removed in the process and then the error comes up. But it shouldn't be a problem when playing online. I didn't even knew it stops the game for the error message when playing offline. lol
But yeah..i'll double check if they can cause any problems.

Good points on the controls also. Probably i'll change the starting screen and dialog box Smiley

The game just feels, right.  The difficulty wasn't huge, but it wasn't easy.  The art was consistent, and I had no glitches or errors.  I'd say this was a successful prototype on your part.

Thx. It's ..not ..really..a prototype  Grin
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »

I enjoyed playing through this.  My only complaint is that I hate having to use 'x' to jump when my fingers are already on the arrow keys.  Since up only takes you through doors anyway, I would have preferred to use up to jump as well.  Maybe that's just personal preference, but I thought it worth mentioning.  Other than that I enjoyed the fast death respawns and the general mechanics of the gameplay.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »

That was a nice small dose of platforming. I died once, I don't remember which level that was. The controls are very responsive. Even though I only died once the difficulty wasn't boring, it kept me focused. I thought the story was cute and amusing.

Overall, I like it, but it's very short! nothing wrong with that, but just so you know. In fact, I actually like that it's short. I wish there were more games that assumed this short dose identity. In case I miss doing some quests in skyrim there could be a small game that gave me 5 minutes of killing stuff inside a dungeon and then it's over.

lobstersteve
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »

I hate having to use 'x' to jump when my fingers are already on the arrow keys

hmm..not sure about that. a lot of games use "up" for going through doors, but either x, c or z for jump. it could also lead to weird behaviour: what if you are already jumping and are pressing the up-key, but you also touch a door...sorry, i think i'll stick to it.

That was a nice small dose of platforming. I died once, I don't remember which level that was. The controls are very responsive. Even though I only died once the difficulty wasn't boring, it kept me focused. I thought the story was cute and amusing.

Overall, I like it, but it's very short! nothing wrong with that, but just so you know. In fact, I actually like that it's short. I wish there were more games that assumed this short dose identity. In case I miss doing some quests in skyrim there could be a small game that gave me 5 minutes of killing stuff inside a dungeon and then it's over.

Thx Smiley yeah, i guess that's the kind of difficulty i was going for. I started with this game after playing battleblock theatre, which was a welcome change to all the hardcore platformers out there..something you can play after work without getting too frustrated.

I'm still kinda hesitant about putting the game out there. It seems so basic, and another thing that's bothering me is the story, which doesn't really represent my sense of humour (which isn't that family-friendly and cute^^..or maybe it just isn't creative enough or represented in a way that doesn't make it ridiculous and funny ..especially the ending)

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 09:02:45 AM »

I'm still kinda hesitant about putting the game out there. It seems so basic, and another thing that's bothering me is the story, which doesn't really represent my sense of humour (which isn't that family-friendly and cute^^..or maybe it just isn't creative enough or represented in a way that doesn't make it ridiculous and funny ..especially the ending)

Put it out there and start working on your next game. Then you do things differently  Coffee

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

Your character, as a villain, seems to look like a demon/devilish sort of creature.  You may want to take this further, and make your tiles have dark grey's, with fiery red's, orange's, and yellow's.  I don't know if you'll take this into consideration, but it's just a thought.

Keep up with the levels.  I can't wait to see that cart-thing in action.
RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »

I like the mossy dungeon feel it has to it and the gameplay is pretty spot on to what a platformer should be. But maybe make the jumps a little it faster, as in you rise and fall quicker maybe just because sometimes the character feels really sluggish and clunky.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic